texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,879
Posts13,954,696
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip #13891225 02/17/21 08:31 PM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I'm taking 5 days off last week of March to go fish some rivers in the Hill Country. Given the two weekends on either side here, I'm looking at about a 7-8 day trip to go fishing.

The only stretch of river I really have had experience on to-date is the Lower Guad under Canyon Lake Dam. I'm hopping to cross off a bunch of other bucket list rivers off my list this week. Mainly targeting bass.

I really want to hit the South Llano, the Upper Guad and the Frio. Also thinking off the Medina, the Blanco, Pedernales, and maybe Colorado under Towne Lake.

I'm really looking to determine which rivers I can look to pull an overnight camping trip on vs. which ones will be single day floats as I have a bunch of friends in the Hill Country we can stay with. Any suggestions for good stretches to consider & camping would be awesome. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13891302 02/17/21 09:04 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
Bookmark this site. Flow will have a huge impact on your choices.
https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=basin_cd

For the upper Guad, you'll want the flow at Bergheim to be 80 - 150 cfs. There's a run above Bergheim back down to FM474 that's pretty calm and looks fairly fishy. From Bergheim to the State Park there's 3 pretty good rapids and several deep holes that should be good fishing. The first rapid about a mile below Bergheim is called Rock Pile and it gets up to a Class III, maybe IV when the flow is 200 - 250 cfs. It washes out around 300 cfs and turns into a huge standing wave. You need to know what you're doing if you want to run it when the flow is up.

"If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: Texan Til I Die] #13891360 02/17/21 09:32 PM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Thank you!! I really appreciate the info here. I am researching the area you mentioned now. I had read some good spots were in between Comfort and Spring Branch. Not sure how the fishing would be even further upstream in Kerrville, but we would consider that too.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13892849 02/18/21 08:34 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
There is a dam in Center Point and a long stretch of the Guadalupe River to fish. Looks awesome! There is Flat Rock Dam in Kerrville and a Campground at 173 and 534 on the (Guadalupe) Kerrville Lake. Fishing can be fantastic, structure of every kind, I love fishing it. Further up in Ingram you'll find Lake New Ingram. Nice fish in there as well and you can paddle up the Guadalupe. Great fishing in these areas. Enjoy!! Another lake is in Kerrville with a ramp next to Chili's Bar and Grill. Some BIG bass are there. Launch, go to you right and right before the bridge there is a stump field in the middle, you'll see it. Pound the bank on the way up, don't be surprised if you come up with a DD. Water is going to very cool to cold unless we get some hot wether.

Last edited by Topwater2; 02/18/21 08:41 PM.

FishKen
Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: Topwater2] #13893200 02/18/21 11:43 PM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Topwater2, thank you for the insight here. I was hoping to get to spend some time in Kerrville when I was originally thinking of the Upper Guad as it's such a nice place. I am really hoping the weather heats up in March lol.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13894450 02/19/21 08:36 PM
W
Wiki Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
South Llano River great fishing. Top water action for the Guadalupe bass are a blast in the summer. Fishing the river around Kerrville can be fun. Flatrock, Ingram and Nimitz lake. I fish them regularly. I have more fun hitting the smaller areas instead of the damn up lakes. Monkey Island is a crossing (rd is center point rd I beleive) is fun. I have went up river from there and caught lots of fish. Down river from there is great trip with good fishing. This summer I plan on doing some kayak and cap trips from Comfort down river. Anyway I have enjoyed fishing the river around Kerrville.

WIKI
Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: Wiki] #13894888 02/20/21 01:17 AM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Wiki, thanks for the tips. I will look into Monkey Island! I was tipped off to looking even further up in the headwaters near Hunt. I absolutely love that area, but haven't fished the Guad there, so I figure I'll look into that as well. From what I understand, that will be more wading. Hoping to do mostly kayaking on this trip.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13895528 02/20/21 04:28 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Have floated the S. Llano many times. Also have floated a couple times the Llano River below Junction and down by Castell. The S. Llano is an absolute gem. A couple times with my boys we did an overnight trip on the S. Llano from the 2nd 377 crossing back down the the state park. Really a long one day trip but overnight leaves plenty of time for fishing, swimming.... Great fishing! You’re never to far from someone’s house on the S. Llano but we just camped on a gravel bar both times without problems. Way longer trips are doable on the Llano River anywhere below Junction. Good bass fishing all the way but the river is not the tighter/narrow river bed as the S. Llano and widens out so if you go during low water flows you will drag your canoes/kayaks a lot. Both are beautiful! Good luck! Neil.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13896690 02/21/21 04:09 PM
W
Wiki Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by basslawd89
Wiki, thanks for the tips. I will look into Monkey Island! I was tipped off to looking even further up in the headwaters near Hunt. I absolutely love that area, but haven't fished the Guad there, so I figure I'll look into that as well. From what I understand, that will be more wading. Hoping to do mostly kayaking on this trip.

I have some spots around Hunt I want to try as well this year. You ever want to get together later in the spring early summer let me know. Much easier if you have two trucks.

WIKI
Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: 361V] #13899512 02/23/21 09:19 PM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted by 361V
Have floated the S. Llano many times. Also have floated a couple times the Llano River below Junction and down by Castell. The S. Llano is an absolute gem. A couple times with my boys we did an overnight trip on the S. Llano from the 2nd 377 crossing back down the the state park. Really a long one day trip but overnight leaves plenty of time for fishing, swimming.... Great fishing! You’re never to far from someone’s house on the S. Llano but we just camped on a gravel bar both times without problems. Way longer trips are doable on the Llano River anywhere below Junction. Good bass fishing all the way but the river is not the tighter/narrow river bed as the S. Llano and widens out so if you go during low water flows you will drag your canoes/kayaks a lot. Both are beautiful! Good luck! Neil.

361V, I am considering do the same overnight float from 377 to the State Park. A little wary about the overnight camping, but sounds like a blast.

I was really torn between exploring the Llano in and around Junction vs. around Mason, which I've read a little bit about online; but seems like a lot of folks do the 377 to State Park trail.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: Wiki] #13899517 02/23/21 09:24 PM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted by Wiki
Originally Posted by basslawd89

I have some spots around Hunt I want to try as well this year. You ever want to get together later in the spring early summer let me know. Much easier if you have two trucks.

Wiki, thanks for the invite!! That sounds like a great time. I will keep you posted as I get closer to my trip!

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13900595 02/24/21 06:58 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Might look at the San Marcos river also. Can put in at the I-35 bridge and take out in Martindale or the bridge just up stream from the town. Takes a couple of hours but it is fun. Will probably need two cars or someone to pick you up when you are done. Store your rods flat until you get past the low bridge at the beginning.

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13902107 02/25/21 08:36 PM
M
mickeytfc Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Sounds like an amazing trip you are planning, I can't to read your report!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: 361V] #13923056 03/15/21 01:43 AM
B
basslawd89 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted by 361V

361V, I am considering trying out this overnight trip. I have a buddy coming to join me as well, so we will have two suv's. My question is about the put-in off 377.. Can we leave a car near this bridge somewhere overnight? I was thinking that would be the easiest way. Not sure if you and your boys used an outfitter or someone to drop you off.

Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for my Hill Country Kayak Trip [Re: basslawd89] #13932021 03/22/21 04:09 PM
T
Todd13 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I rented a kayak from a guy out of Castell and he runs a service. I suspect he would easily shuttle your truck.

Good luck and post up how things go.

if it ain't chartreuse, it's got no use.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide