Forums59
Topics1,038,781
Posts13,952,714
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: H.Town_paddler] #13892084 02/18/21 06:51 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Originally Posted by H.Town_paddler
My first post after 42 hours without power or cell service. Didn’t have water for 30 hours. We have 3 kids all under 8 years old. We have a generator and it was slightly uncomfortable but good God you’re all a bunch of snowflakes after reading all the complaints. Try to grab your nuts every once in a while to make sure their still attached.

How many deer whistles do you have on your truck?

[Linked Image]
Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892095 02/18/21 07:47 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by COFF
Originally Posted by ReelBusy
Not sure of you're source but it's 20% on wind and solar, that's a lot to lose when we needed it.

In aggregate for the US, it is around 10%. According to ERCOT, it is about 16% 20% in Texas. If Texas had zero wind turbines, it would have no effect on the outages this week whatsoever.

EDIT: I was looking at a wikipedia chart attributed to ERCOT. No telling if it was accurate, or how old the data was. I'll accept the 20% number, but still ascertain that has little effect on how these power outages played out.

But weren't a LOT of the wind turbines out of commission? If so, that would be a 20% loss of generating capability right off the top in and of itself.
As to how often, yes, we can pick a temp level or weather condition that may not be matched for 100 years. But it doesn't have to be "a record" to shut things down. I have a previous February storm event that happened some year between 2004 & now. (I don't remember exactly but I had already met my SO then, so at least 2004). Same address as now; winter weather shut things down bigtime like now. It's when I bought my largest generator that I'm using for this storm as well. So, less than 16 years between those two events. That's not "once in a lifetime". Meanwhile, in another southern state where I own property, the weather seemed to be just as bad as here, with lows just as low. My pond froze over partially, which rarely happens, temp was 12 degrees. Guess what happened with power there? It NEVER went off! This trend has existed over the years. Texas has a problem other states seem to have found a way to mitigate.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892142 02/18/21 12:24 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Our power finally came back at about 8pm last night after being shut down for 60+ hours. Oh, we got power Tues and Wed mornings for about 45 minutes each time. But our whole area east of I35 to the lake was out of power. Lots of generators being used. Lots of fireplaces being used (I've gone through two truckloads of wood) But loads of people, especially in the apartments, had diddly squat to stay warm. According to my TNMP map, it's over 11,000 people just in my area.

Yet just on the other side of the highway, the McDonald's and QT had power and were open. Families need heat in their homes more than they need a ******* cheeseburger.

I understand the causes of this series of outages, but "rolling" outages should prioritize homes keeping SOME hours of power each day.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892146 02/18/21 12:29 PM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Take planned parenthood and foreign money and fix the power grid.

America first.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892151 02/18/21 12:44 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Nothing will come out of an investigation because guess who MISO, ERCOT and SPP answers to?.... NERC and FERC..the federal government... I’ll bet the grid authorities end up getting paid..

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13892153 02/18/21 12:44 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Our power finally came back at about 8pm last night after being shut down for 60+ hours. Oh, we got power Tues and Wed mornings for about 45 minutes each time. But our whole area east of I35 to the lake was out of power. Lots of generators being used. Lots of fireplaces being used (I've gone through two truckloads of wood) But loads of people, especially in the apartments, had diddly squat to stay warm. According to my TNMP map, it's over 11,000 people just in my area.

Yet just on the other side of the highway, the McDonald's and QT had power and were open. Families need heat in their homes more than they need a ******* cheeseburger.

I understand the causes of this series of outages, but "rolling" outages should prioritize homes keeping SOME hours of power each day.

We have been on rolling blackouts since Monday I think the longest we were out of power was about 3 hours. I kept a sheet showing every time it went off and came back on. Most were between 45 minutes to 1 hour but sometimes more. Definitely a PITA but seeing what others have had to deal with a picnic in comparison.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: Pintail711] #13892168 02/18/21 01:06 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Pintail711
Nothing will come out of an investigation because guess who MISO, ERCOT and SPP answers to?.... NERC and FERC..the federal government... I’ll bet the grid authorities end up getting paid..

Yep, same thing happened in 2011. They tried to fix. Apparently fixes did not work. This is how government works. Just like their attempt to fix rising property taxes. They will promise the world and not deliver.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: Pintail711] #13892186 02/18/21 01:39 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Pintail711

You keep those generators running sir.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #13892232 02/18/21 02:22 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Take planned parenthood and foreign money and fix the power grid.

America first.

That might require Texas (ERCOT) to join the National Power Grids. But if it were part of the National Grid, it would probably mean more controls, higher prices, but could have at least gotten power from other areas.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892244 02/18/21 02:32 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
My first time on the forum after 45 hours of no power. Fortunate to have a small 2,000 watt generator that with a little ingenuity was able to keep most of my house above 50 degrees. No pipes busted. Very few of my neighbors can say the same. Counting my blessings this morning.

Anyway, onto the debate:

The wind won't always blow.
The sun won't always shine.
The fossil fuels won't always be there.

The only long term solution is nuclear. We are screwing around wasting time, money, and polluting the environment on everything else.

Nuclear: It's safe. It's clean. It's cheap. One single hockey puck sized piece of uranium has enough electrical potential to power the entire life of an individual from cradle to grave. We have this technology right now. It's also far easier to winterize a few dozen nuclear plants than it is tens of thousands of wells and wind turbines. People need to educate themselves and stop the fear mongering around nuclear. Maybe best of all, lets not forget that each of these nuclear plants needs a cooling reservoir, great fishing for generations to come!

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892268 02/18/21 02:47 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
I can think of a place over by Mount Pleasant and another near Fairfield that might have potential as nuclear sites.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: COFF] #13892419 02/18/21 03:57 PM
fisherinok Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Jpurdue - I have to call BS on your statement that it is cheap. Yes the hockey puck of uranium might be cheap but all of the stuff around it - the nuclear plant is not. I know of no public nuclear reactor that has been built on budget - I don't count the Chinese and Russian reactors where government financing skews the numbers. The company with the best technology and know-how to do these projects is the French company EDF and they are losing their butt on a British project. The nuclear expansion project in Georgia is severly overbudget and behind schedule. Originally budgeted at 17 billion and they are now close to 25 billion. The main issue not what most Americans would believe - environmental permitting but rather that their subcontractors cannot perform work on time and to the quality specificied. This is a typical issue with large projects with long durations and procurement chains that extend throughout the world.

I agree with your assessment we need more nuclear power. The best path forward in my mind is for the US to standardize on one reactor design for use all over the US. I also suggest that the plant layout be stardardized as much as possible but this may have to be tweaked for the local areas due to soil conditions and surrounding terrain.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: fisherinok] #13892434 02/18/21 04:03 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by fisherinok
Jpurdue - I have to call BS on your statement that it is cheap. Yes the hockey puck of uranium might be cheap but all of the stuff around it - the nuclear plant is not. I know of no public nuclear reactor that has been built on budget - I don't count the Chinese and Russian reactors where government financing skews the numbers. The company with the best technology and know-how to do these projects is the French company EDF and they are losing their butt on a British project. The nuclear expansion project in Georgia is severly overbudget and behind schedule. Originally budgeted at 17 billion and they are now close to 25 billion. The main issue not what most Americans would believe - environmental permitting but rather that their subcontractors cannot perform work on time and to the quality specificied. This is a typical issue with large projects with long durations and procurement chains that extend throughout the world.

I agree with your assessment we need more nuclear power. The best path forward in my mind is for the US to standardize on one reactor design for use all over the US. I also suggest that the plant layout be stardardized as much as possible but this may have to be tweaked for the local areas due to soil conditions and surrounding terrain.

I'm not sure it's a fair argument to say nuclear plants are always built way over budget. How many have we built in the US in the last 30 years? To my knowledge VERY few. Agree we should standardize on a modern reactor design and start to build them cookie cutter all over the country.

Bottom-line is it is cheap comparatively speaking:

https://www.nei.org/news/2018/cost-of-nuclear-generation-reaches-10-year-low

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: CCTX] #13892531 02/18/21 04:57 PM
H
H.Town_paddler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by CCTX
My first post after 42 hours without power or cell service. Didn’t have water for 30 hours. We have 3 kids all under 8 years old. We have a generator and it was slightly uncomfortable but good God you’re all a bunch of snowflakes after reading all the complaints. Try to grab your nuts every once in a while to make sure their still attached.

How many deer whistles do you have on your truck?

I don’t know what that means. But let me address my comment earlier since I had been drinking (heavily) when I posted it.

I’m tired of people with an inability to be self reliant. I get it if you’re elderly or have a handicap but if you’re a man in good health with half a brain this should be at most an inconvenient few days for you. Busted pipes suck, my neighbor had one. We turned off water, put a cap on it, and had water back on within a few hours. We checked on and took care of my 80 year old neighbor. She didn’t have a generator but her other neighbor put theirs in the driveway so we could run a cord off of it to her house. My frustration is too many people sit on one thumb and point another finger at blaming someone else. I know people had it way worse than me, that wasn’t my point. My point is if you are prepared for things like this and spend time learning how to get through them we’ll all be better off. If you keep relying on some state or federal government to make things better you’ll find yourself up a creek every once in a while.

Re: Grid problems - what it is and what it isn't [Re: H.Town_paddler] #13892662 02/18/21 06:25 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S

Pathetic.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide