Forums59
Topics1,037,865
Posts13,935,768
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13891495 02/17/21 10:35 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
So is Garrett Creek

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Bruce Allen] #13891507 02/17/21 10:41 PM
A
acts2:38-39 Offline
Angler
Angler
A
Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
So is Garrett Creek

Is it really I haven’t been out but I know it’s snowing like a big dog again. Pray that this is the last in Jesus name!!

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13891716 02/18/21 12:44 AM
J
JD/76708 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Someone take Cody's keys from him before he attempts another "crossing"....... bang

.....just sayin'

[img]http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z451...ser_media_share[/img]
We all stumble and make mistakes. When you stumble, do you want your brother to help knock you down or to help set you back on your feet?
JD
PB: 8.4 (Lake Fork)
Psalms 83:18 (Our God has a name)
Matthew 24:14, 44
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: coachallentca] #13891744 02/18/21 12:58 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by coachallentca
Originally Posted by fishin'aholic2
Originally Posted by D1988
I thought there was global warming. How many records were broken.

Climate change is the better word. It is very real. It basically means there are more and more extremes and records broken due to weather that is not normal. 100 year floods, droughts, arctic blasts, etc..

The Climate changes every 4 season...Winter, Fall, Summer and Spring.. Here in Texas we have two Hotter than HeII or colder than a well diggers azz..

And if everyone sends money to John Kerry and AOC, they will save us all from certain doom.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13891844 02/18/21 01:54 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Do we have an engineer, physicist, or other "expert" on the board who can explain how a coal generating plant that burns lignite by the train load, has to have a lake built to cool it, and heats boilers to 1,000°F can "freeze up"? What exactly freezes? Does the coal freeze? The boiler? The train?

I want to know what exactly is freezing if the plant is in constant operation. Did Martin Creek freeze up? Apparently not since it has been supplying homes around here.

If coal fired equipment freezes up at zero degrees I wonder how steam locomotives ran in places like Colorado and Wyoming that get to 40 below. Did trains stop in mid-turn of their wheels?

Sounds like BS to me.

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Razorback] #13891894 02/18/21 02:29 AM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by Razorback
Do we have an engineer, physicist, or other "expert" on the board who can explain how a coal generating plant that burns lignite by the train load, has to have a lake built to cool it, and heats boilers to 1,000°F can "freeze up"? What exactly freezes? Does the coal freeze? The boiler? The train?

I want to know what exactly is freezing if the plant is in constant operation. Did Martin Creek freeze up? Apparently not since it has been supplying homes around here.

If coal fired equipment freezes up at zero degrees I wonder how steam locomotives ran in places like Colorado and Wyoming that get to 40 below. Did trains stop in mid-turn of their wheels?

Sounds like BS to me.

Not saying I am any of the above mentioned experts. I do work ar a chemical plant that has boilers. All of the instruments begin freezing up and you lose indications..you start going blind on flows, levels and pressures and the automatic shutdown safety devices take over or you have to pull the plug and take it down.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Razorback] #13892261 02/18/21 02:43 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D

Sounds like BS to me.

From what I have read about this " freezing up " problem in the unheated fresh water supplies that are used to create steam . The instruments and controls on the cold side freeze .

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13892347 02/18/21 03:22 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
A plant that produces enough electricity every day to heat hundreds of thousands of homes can't keep its own stuff from freezing? How does anyone in North Dakota or Montana ever have power?

Once again, I'm calling BS.

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13892367 02/18/21 03:32 PM
Tyler822 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
I would venture to guess that plants in North Dakota and Montana are built a little different than in Texas.

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13892376 02/18/21 03:37 PM
BCBassCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Wow

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13892381 02/18/21 03:40 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I'm no scientist, either. I'm just a guy sitting on his couch in front of a fireplace, cooking his family's food on the fire, but for several years I have been telling everyone I know a few things:

1. Any fisherman knows there are two times of year when there's not much wind in Texas...summer and winter. When are we most likely to consume a higher than normal amount of electricity? and

2. How do we use solar when the sun doesn't shine? and

3. Shutting down several gigawatts of power from coal plants when we don't have plentiful, reliable, and economically feasible replacement sources isn't just stupid, it is intentional negligence. It's not insane. No, the people behind it know exactly what they are doing. You're cold or your pipes have ruptured? That's too bad, but politicians who worship at the altar of the Church of Global Warming can't concern themselves with your problems.

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Tyler822] #13892395 02/18/21 03:46 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Tyler822
I would venture to guess that plants in North Dakota and Montana are built a little different than in Texas.

They also know how to keep things warm, like homes, and hotel rooms, and equipment. We go to Gunnison, Colorado every year around Christmas. Their average low temperature is -6. We have been there when the low was -40 and the high was -24. Funny, but our car that we drove from Tyler started up and ran. The "lubricants " didn't freeze, the fuel didn't freeze, the "equipment" didn't freeze.

Then again, we didn't have to tell anyone it "froze" to keep them from asking why we allowed so many eggs to be placed in a basket that ended up being a catastrophe.

Last edited by Razorback; 02/18/21 04:05 PM.
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Ken A.] #13892397 02/18/21 03:47 PM
fatdad74 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I keep seeing people say it was the green deal.that shut the electricity off in Texas but we only getv10 percent of electricity from.solar and wind. The coal and natural gas plants are freezing.

Phillip Wright
Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: fatdad74] #13892480 02/18/21 04:25 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by fatdad74
I keep seeing people say it was the green deal.that shut the electricity off in Texas but we only getv10 percent of electricity from.solar and wind. The coal and natural gas plants are freezing.

Keep believing what they tell you. As I asked a couple of posts up, how can so many of us drive not-modified-for-extreme-cold Texas vehicles to ski resorts in places like Colorado, where it gets to -20 or -30, and still start and drive them? Why aren't our "lubricants" and equipment freezing up?

Even if the alleged explanation is that the coal plants sat idle and then tried to start up...it's not like the temperature went to zero instantly. We haven't been above freezing since last Wednesday. If they had been generating all along, like they used to, I doubt anything would have "frozen up" in mid-operation.

Negligence. People should be fired, then...no, I'm not going to say it.

Re: Lake Fork is FROZEN!! Pic of Williams Creek [Re: Razorback] #13892534 02/18/21 04:58 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by fatdad74

Keep believing what they tell you. As I asked a couple of posts up, how can so many of us drive not-modified-for-extreme-cold Texas vehicles to ski resorts in places like Colorado, where it gets to -20 or -30, and still start and drive them? Why aren't our "lubricants" and equipment freezing up?

Even if the alleged explanation is that the coal plants sat idle and then tried to start up...it's not like the temperature went to zero instantly. We haven't been above freezing since last Wednesday. If they had been generating all along, like they used to, I doubt anything would have "frozen up" in mid-operation.

Negligence. People should be fired, then...no, I'm not going to say it.

Absolutely people should be fired. Hell put Ercot execs in a room with those that have busted pipes and let them at em. This all comes down to money. My guesses
1) No regulating body forces Ercot to be prepared for this type of weather so they don't force the plants, wind farms, etc.. to be ready for it. I'm not even sure you can keep the windmills from freezing over but if you can it certainly hasn't been invested in. Natural gas is 51% or our energy. Solar is only 3.8% so solar is not the problem but not the solution either.
2) Coal is not as economically viable as wind and natural gas. So for the other 99% of the time utility companies are abandoning coal. It's much easier to ship natural gas through pipelines than transfer coal. And windmills just spin once you put it up. And again, there is no one to force them to be ready for the 1% time we really need it even though the economic loss is higher when you do have a disaster. And that doesn't even factor in the loss of life. Coal still provides 13% of our power, but it's also essentially insurance and no one forces Ercot to have insurance in the form of enough backup power. One reason the rest of the country is on a much larger shared grid. At least have the Texas grid in a position to buy megawatts in an emergency. But I guess that brings regulations and Perry would rather we all suffer while he probably has power.
3) And if you are going to use coal you have to have the safeguards to protect the instrumentation against extreme cold. And again, no one forces the plants to do this either. But at 13% of our power coal is not going to be a savior in this type of emergency. They had major issues with natural gas too. That and wind were the biggest issues.

short answer, nobody's guarding the hen house and we can't buy eggs from neighboring farmers when our hens aren't laying

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide