J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
Originally Posted by TreeBass
Originally Posted by Canino
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
I wonder what they would do to get their money back from me after it was deposited in my PayPal account?

ACH transfers take a couple of days but show the money immediately. They make an ACH transfer from a fake account or a compromised account and it shows up in your account. The amount is over what you specified, and they ask you to refund the difference via Moneygram or some other way.

Then their transfer never clears.

this ^^^ run JP

Don't worry, I'm done with them. As soon as they said they were sending a hauler, I figured it was a scam.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13883532 02/11/21 08:24 PM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
You may be shocked at what www.givemethevin.com will offer you, and the process is so easy and smooth.

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: rj74955] #13883541 02/11/21 08:29 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by rj74955
I will give you $7500 and 2 quarts of apple pie moonshine.

Ok, since you're ignoring me, I may know some folks that have a medical card. I can throw in gummies.

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: rj74955] #13883579 02/11/21 08:54 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J

Ok, since you're ignoring me, I may know some folks that have a medical card. I can throw in gummies.

$8000 and a 1.75 of Crown.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13883623 02/11/21 09:25 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

$8000 and a 1.75 of Crown.

roflmao I don't think I can do business with someone that disrespects the apple pie.

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: Matt Jackson] #13883638 02/11/21 09:38 PM
SteveHummert Online Content
pawpaw
Online Content
pawpaw
Originally Posted by Matt Jackson
You may be shocked at what www.givemethevin.com will offer you, and the process is so easy and smooth.

I found them to be lowball wholesaler numbers

Backlash

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: Canino] #13883640 02/11/21 09:40 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I wonder what they would do to get their money back from me after it was deposited in my PayPal account?

ACH transfers take a couple of days but show the money immediately. They make an ACH transfer from a fake account or a compromised account and it shows up in your account. The amount is over what you specified, and they ask you to refund the difference via Moneygram or some other way.

This. And the bank has 14 days to “clear” the check but they make the funds available in your account either immediately or shortly after it’s deposited as a “courtesy” to you, their valued customer. But if that deposit doesn’t clear, they’ll take the funds out of your account to recoup the courtesy funds they added to your account. Family friend got burned through one of these (it was for legal services, not selling a car). Was sent a physical check, took it in person to deposit it, teller never noticed the pretty obvious - to someone working at a bank - signs of a bad fake check, and the bank blamed the family friend, took money out of their business account to cover its losses, and then won in court, despite the obvious signs of a fraudulent check. The bank is protected by the Uniform Commercial Code with the 14 day window to reconcile the funds in the deposit are real, but they’re allowed to make the funds available to you to withdraw or transfer in the meantime.

Scammer sends you a check for $5k over whatever the negotiated deal is, say to pay the flatbed guy picking the car up, you deposit the check, take out the $5k, give it to the flatbed driver and two weeks later find out you’re out of a car and $13,500, plus your bank is pissed and might close your account or sue you because you don’t have the funds to cover the $13,500.

I don’t know how it all works with PayPal because I’ve only used it a handful of times, but that’s how it worked with a bank when it happened to a family friend.

[Linked Image]
Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13883717 02/11/21 10:47 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

This. And the bank has 14 days to “clear” the check but they make the funds available in your account either immediately or shortly after it’s deposited as a “courtesy” to you, their valued customer. But if that deposit doesn’t clear, they’ll take the funds out of your account to recoup the courtesy funds they added to your account. Family friend got burned through one of these (it was for legal services, not selling a car). Was sent a physical check, took it in person to deposit it, teller never noticed the pretty obvious - to someone working at a bank - signs of a bad fake check, and the bank blamed the family friend, took money out of their business account to cover its losses, and then won in court, despite the obvious signs of a fraudulent check. The bank is protected by the Uniform Commercial Code with the 14 day window to reconcile the funds in the deposit are real, but they’re allowed to make the funds available to you to withdraw or transfer in the meantime.

Scammer sends you a check for $5k over whatever the negotiated deal is, say to pay the flatbed guy picking the car up, you deposit the check, take out the $5k, give it to the flatbed driver and two weeks later find out you’re out of a car and $13,500, plus your bank is pissed and might close your account or sue you because you don’t have the funds to cover the $13,500.

I don’t know how it all works with PayPal because I’ve only used it a handful of times, but that’s how it worked with a bank when it happened to a family friend.

Sorry to hear that happened to “family friend” Duck Hunter.

(BTW, a lot of people on here write “my neighbor”...feel free to use in the future if you want.)

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13883747 02/11/21 11:14 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
That's a scam, JP.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: Okie Poke] #13883763 02/11/21 11:26 PM
J
JCG57 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
That's a scam, JP.

Yup. Last month a Craigslist scammer tried to do the same thing with me. Wanted to buy something I had listed. Offered to pay me 50% over asking price if I held it for a few days while he mailed me a certified check. Then sent me a (non-certified) check, on the check stock of a small company in Georgia, for over $2,000 more than my asking price so I could give the difference to his mover. I called the company in Georgia and sent them an image of the check and the Fed Exp envelop it came in. The return address was also fake, some company in Garland. The scammer mailed the fake check from San Antonio and had a cell phone number with a San Antonio prefix (I sent the phone number to the Georgia company as well - they had the LEOs involved). I also submitted a request to Google to have the scammer's email account cancelled - they have a form for that. Hopefully made some trouble for him and at least he is out the cost of his Fed Ex mailing.

Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: J.P. Greeson] #13884496 02/12/21 04:23 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Why not post it here and sell to a trusted member ????

I would love to have it , but do not have the space to keep it.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: selling a car on Autotrader [Re: Mo] #13884601 02/12/21 05:09 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline OP
the janitor
OP Offline
the janitor
J
This person never offered me additional money for the hauler. Anyway, when I asked for a means to verify their identity, that was the last I heard from them. The scammers are looking for easy targets. If you don't come across as an easy target, most of the time they will disappear.

Originally Posted by JCG57
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
That's a scam, JP.

Yup. Last month a Craigslist scammer tried to do the same thing with me. Wanted to buy something I had listed. Offered to pay me 50% over asking price if I held it for a few days while he mailed me a certified check. Then sent me a (non-certified) check, on the check stock of a small company in Georgia, for over $2,000 more than my asking price so I could give the difference to his mover. I called the company in Georgia and sent them an image of the check and the Fed Exp envelop it came in. The return address was also fake, some company in Garland. The scammer mailed the fake check from San Antonio and had a cell phone number with a San Antonio prefix (I sent the phone number to the Georgia company as well - they had the LEOs involved). I also submitted a request to Google to have the scammer's email account cancelled - they have a form for that. Hopefully made some trouble for him and at least he is out the cost of his Fed Ex mailing.

This person never offered me additional money for the hauler. Anyway, when I asked for a means to verify their identity, that was the last I heard from them. The scammers are looking for easy targets. If you don't come across as an easy target, most of the time they will disappear.

Originally Posted by Mo
Why not post it here and sell to a trusted member ????

I would love to have it , but do not have the space to keep it.

MO

I posted it here a few years ago and didn't get any offers.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide