Print Thread
Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs #13876845 02/06/21 10:45 PM
L
Lepisosteus.carpio Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L

Tied up a batch of 1/16 and 1/32 oz jigs and am taking them on the water tomorrow (Lake Waco).

Experts, what say you? What colors am I missing? Other observations?

[Linked Image]

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13876921 02/06/21 11:48 PM
F
fridays86 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Good looking jigs, you have a lot covered there! Let us now how it goes.

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13876927 02/06/21 11:57 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Excellent! hooked

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13878569 02/08/21 02:50 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
My favorite for spring is a Roadrunner type bait, could be a pony head or one for the pill underpins, but I love a 1/32 Oz blade bait to longline troll! I will show you my favorite colors in a picture below. However will tell a little more about them. First my first choice is the Chartreuse/Blue/Chartreuse, next is Black and Chartreuse, but if the water is more clear I then go to Silver/Silver/Blue or one of the other light colors. If it's right after a big rain and the water is stained more than I care for I have to go to the Hot Orange tail one!

Skip

These are 1/32 Oz Roadrunners.
[Linked Image]

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13878621 02/08/21 03:29 PM
P
Pot licker Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
Nice looking box of jigs! thumb

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Skip_48] #13879059 02/08/21 08:57 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Skip_48
My favorite for spring is a Roadrunner type bait, could be a pony head or one for the pill underpins, but I love a 1/32 Oz blade bait to longline troll! I will show you my favorite colors in a picture below. However will tell a little more about them. First my first choice is the Chartreuse/Blue/Chartreuse, next is Black and Chartreuse, but if the water is more clear I then go to Silver/Silver/Blue or one of the other light colors. If it's right after a big rain and the water is stained more than I care for I have to go to the Hot Orange tail one!

Skip

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: fridays86] #13879071 02/08/21 09:05 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by fridays86

Fishing was very tough yesterday (Sunday). Only found fish near an old bridge that gets a lot of pressure from anglers. My friend has livescope and we were putting jigs and live minnows right on top of fish. Mostly completely ignored by fish. I landed 5, all cookie-cutter 9" fish, which is telling that most of the keepers have already been stripped from that high-pressure area by anglers. I also suspect most of them have either been caught before or were just very wary due to constant angling pressure. I went down to 1/64 oz tiny jigs and still nothing. Tried everything.

I really wish I could locate winter crappie elsewhere on Lake Waco. The old airport marina was holding fish a few weeks ago but they just tore it down. I landed a 15.5" fish there about a day before they tore it down. Went back for more and watched the backhoes tear it apart.
bang

Thinking I need to find a new lake to fish for crappie or go with someone who really knows what they're doing!

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13879681 02/09/21 04:03 AM
F
fridays86 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Your not far from Aquilla! Good winter fishing around the dam!

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: fridays86] #13879838 02/09/21 12:55 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Your not far from Aquilla! Good winter fishing around the dam!

Thanks, I should check that out!

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13879895 02/09/21 01:47 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Lepisosteus.carpio

Fishing was very tough yesterday (Sunday). Only found fish near an old bridge that gets a lot of pressure from anglers. My friend has livescope and we were putting jigs and live minnows right on top of fish. Mostly completely ignored by fish. I landed 5, all cookie-cutter 9" fish, which is telling that most of the keepers have already been stripped from that high-pressure area by anglers. I also suspect most of them have either been caught before or were just very wary due to constant angling pressure. I went down to 1/64 oz tiny jigs and still nothing. Tried everything.

I really wish I could locate winter crappie elsewhere on Lake Waco. The old airport marina was holding fish a few weeks ago but they just tore it down. I landed a 15.5" fish there about a day before they tore it down. Went back for more and watched the backhoes tear it apart.
bang

Thinking I need to find a new lake to fish for crappie or go with someone who really knows what they're doing!

Navarro Mills is another option. Fishing has been really hot the last two weeks. Find brush and stake beds in 17-20’ and it is on!
I’ve been using nothing but 1/4 oz jigs, either hand ties or plastic, and black and chartreuse are what they have been liking.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13880003 02/09/21 03:04 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Skip_48

Skip

[Linked Image]

Those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you and your welcome!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: RODS454] #13881350 02/10/21 02:40 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by RODS454

bang

Navarro Mills is another option. Fishing has been really hot the last two weeks. Find brush and stake beds in 17-20’ and it is on!
I’ve been using nothing but 1/4 oz jigs, either hand ties or plastic, and black and chartreuse are what they have been liking.

Great, thanks for the advice! Was really hoping to get out this weekend but man is it going to be COLD! I suppose that won't stop the crappie from biting so I should suck it up and go anyway.

Re: Long time fly-tyer, first batch of crappie jigs [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13881487 02/10/21 04:15 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Think this extra cold is going to hurt the fishing, but as soon as this is over, maybe they get after it big time? If any have come in shallow and I suspect maybe some have, I bet they move a little deeper for a little while. Maybe just a few feet, but think they will.

Skip

Last edited by Skip_48; 02/10/21 04:15 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide