Forums59
Topics1,039,199
Posts13,960,818
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13880667 02/09/21 11:47 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
[Linked Image]

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13880678 02/09/21 11:56 PM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Extra float pod under the outboard. Stick steer to keep the floor open. Boat was a 48” oauchita that I cut down the middle and widened out to just under 84”. It’s a barge but will float super shallow and carry a lot of weight.

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13881001 02/10/21 04:20 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Some very interesting comments on this thread. I may be an outlier, since I actually have said I wish there were more carp and gar in a lake. roflmao It is also interesting that there is an attitude that Lake Whitney is overrun with carp, when Whitney is one of the best striper lakes in the state right now. It appears they are coexisting pretty well. Most of the great largemouth bass reservoirs are full of carp and buffalo. One of the great things about fishing in Texas is the great species diversity.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13881173 02/10/21 01:02 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
back to reality folks dont show up to our fine lakes in tx to fish for carp an gar the folks that are spending money renting rooms buying gas snacks an tackle are fishing for bass crappie an catfish an if you ask those folks if you could rid the lakes of rough fish especially carp that sucks the aquatic life out of the lakes they would be ok with that.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: ssmith] #13881580 02/10/21 05:33 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by ssmith
back to reality folks dont show up to our fine lakes in tx to fish for carp an gar the folks that are spending money renting rooms buying gas snacks an tackle are fishing for bass crappie an catfish an if you ask those folks if you could rid the lakes of rough fish especially carp that sucks the aquatic life out of the lakes they would be ok with that.

Someone didn't read the article. Getting rid of rough fish is detrimental to the ecosystem as a whole. Not to mention there are a plethora of anglers such as myself who drive not only all around Texas but all around the country in pursuit of specifically rough fish. I just recently drove 5 hours to spend 9 days at Toledo Bend catching Carp and Buffalo, and I'm far from alone in this. In fact I was joined by several of my buddies on that very trip!
Historically, most state wildlife agencies have believed the lesser-desired rough fish should just be removed from lakes and rivers to improve the angling opportunities for sport fish, Bolton told commissioners.

"We have come to believe a little differently on that," he said.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13881627 02/10/21 05:55 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I had lots of fun catching all three species.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are more species of fish than largemouth bass in Texas. Many of them fight much harder then largemouth bass and are more difficult to catch.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: Osbornfishing] #13882909 02/11/21 02:17 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Had to look twice at this photo - at first I thought you had the fly rod stuck in your hair.

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
[Linked Image]

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883574 02/11/21 08:53 PM
C
chireno Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
My family and I have used buffalo and carp for catfish bait for decades. Used to get it easily from Commercial fishermen. Now, since none of us bow hunt or can't due to disability, we get them from bow hunters who go on a trip once every spring and end up with 10-30. Enough bait for several trips during the year.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883824 02/12/21 12:29 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I could care less about carp, gar, bowfin, even some catfish.

Nasty, slimy fish.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883867 02/12/21 01:08 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Originally Posted by ssmith

Someone didn't read the article. Getting rid of rough fish is detrimental to the ecosystem as a whole. Not to mention there are a plethora of anglers such as myself who drive not only all around Texas but all around the country in pursuit of specifically rough fish. I just recently drove 5 hours to spend 9 days at Toledo Bend catching Carp and Buffalo, and I'm far from alone in this. In fact I was joined by several of my buddies on that very trip!
Historically, most state wildlife agencies have believed the lesser-desired rough fish should just be removed from lakes and rivers to improve the angling opportunities for sport fish, Bolton told commissioners.

"We have come to believe a little differently on that," he said.

We have had this conversation before, it is too bad you carp fisherman refuse to help manage the resource. And you refuse to accept that carp and gar can be detrimental to gamefish populations. That you are trying to say that a significant number of people spend as much money fishing for carp in this state as say even crappie fisherman is ridiculous. That and we will never be "rid" of rough fish. The whole article is about screwing bowfisherman. I personally also believe arrowed fish should not be returned to the lake. But you missed the part about not managing a resource. Why not remove every carp you catch under 10 pounds from the lake? Leave the big ones but do some good instead of sniveling about bow fisherman who are actually doing the lakes favors.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: ToasterWEyes] #13883882 02/12/21 01:19 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
Not all of them, trust me. You do have to play weather patterns and go on a good night. And know where to look. And be competent w a bow. And a fan boat helps. Way more efficient than a troller. My rig was custom built by me for one thing, killing fish in shallow water. Most aren’t set up that well.

He will never admit there is any reason to harvest carp or any rough fish. As far as he is concerned the lakes can be over run with them and he would be happy, I mean watch these guys lovingly handle a carp, take a selfie and gently return it back into the lake. He would probably quit fishing for them if the law required he keep all fish under 10 pounds. It is like trying to reason with a democrat.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883895 02/12/21 01:35 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
We never have a shortage of fish to target I can promise you that. My boat will safely carry 1750-2000 lbs of fish. There are many nights we shut it down by midnight w 3 shooters.

Translation: Bowfishers shoot one TON of fish almost every night before it even gets late

Sure a few people doing what should be done. The few hardcore carp fisherman out there can't put a dent in their numbers and generally, like you refuse to help manage the resource. I would hate to think this is only because you want to better your chances of getting a picture of yourself with a big carp at the expense of other creatures in the lake. Odd that we don't commercially fish for Buffalo and carp here like they do up north, there is no shortage of carp up there either.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: ToasterWEyes] #13883912 02/12/21 01:55 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I bowfish. A lot. But I find the thought of shooting a fish then throwing it back in the water repulsive. Everything I hit is done. I didn’t think it was legal to maim a fish and throw it back in the water.
If TPWD decides to regulate bag limits in Texas I’m all for it and will support that. But I think we are a way out from that happening. If they do it’ll be to appease the public. I’ve been checked within the last week by a game warden at Whitney with a big load of buffs, carp, and a few gar and told keep up the good work....

I notice the article is oriented toward native fish such as the Buffalo and river carpsuckers not carp. It also says these fish are being thrown back? I too don't think that is legal. Sure I would like to see limits on Buffs but I would also like to see here in TX a rule made that every carp caught under ten pounds be retained and a limit on how many over ten pounds can be retained. I want this rule to include anyone who catches these fish either with a bow or rod and reel.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13883915 02/12/21 01:58 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Not really sure who this Woodward feller is, but I have great difficulty believing that fish shot with an arrow have a 65 percent survival rate when thrown back. Certainly, SOME will survive, but I don't believe it's anywhere near that many. Even if we accept his figure, it means intentionally wasting 35% of the fish he shoots.

Unconscionable. You don't waste the fish you kill - you eat them.

"Right now, we can dump fish back in as we go down the bank and shoot them," Woodward said. "About 65 percent of those fish will live but he's wanting to force us to put them in a bucket and we can't throw nothing back until we are done bowfishing, which means death to everything. There is no chance they can live."

"People will quit going if they have to keep all their fish, for sure," he said.
hammer

Would you quit carp fishing if you had to keep all you caught? Carp are not a native species.

Re: Article: Are Oklahoma Bowfishers Killing Too Many Fish? Why Wildlife Department is Considering More Protection [Re: Osbornfishing] #13883919 02/12/21 02:04 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Some very interesting comments on this thread. I may be an outlier, since I actually have said I wish there were more carp and gar in a lake. roflmao It is also interesting that there is an attitude that Lake Whitney is overrun with carp, when Whitney is one of the best striper lakes in the state right now. It appears they are coexisting pretty well. Most of the great largemouth bass reservoirs are full of carp and buffalo. One of the great things about fishing in Texas is the great species diversity.

Carp do not compete directly with Stripers but if bio diversity is what you want then just how many pounds of carp are in a given lake compared to other species? Carp do directly compete with other fish that feed off of vegetation such as minnows and shad. Consider how awesome Whitney would be without that? How many more Buffalo would there be in the lake if they didn't have to compete with carp, an invasive species.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide