Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: Littledog] #13875215 02/05/21 05:41 PM
G
grumpyoldman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted by Littledog
So nobody is gonna want to hear this . . . (and be assured that I did not vote this way)

The previous administration did many great, common sense things.
One of the things was to roll back a bunch of dumb stuff in the Clean Water Act.
However, when you do that, you sometimes cut your own legs out for the rare occasions when you need them.

The current administration hammer is more . . . lets just say open to big government and as such will likely re-instate those
provisions that allow citizens and environmental groups to take legal actions.

There are several environmental organizations who will benefit from this. (WaterKeeper Alliance, Warriors for Clean Water, etc. for example)

Texas anglers (Bass clubs, Tournament organizers, Weekend anglers, Kayak clubs, etc.) need to form a non-profit organization and seek out partnerships with these environmental groups. (believe it or not)
They'll need a war chest to fund the legal actions that will be needed.

. . . or we can just ignore it and be good little sheep.

This. Sometimes the enemy of your enemy is your friend.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13875236 02/05/21 05:55 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yep, gotta agree that (so far) the bantering about it on a forum has done little to deter the state (TPWD) from being more selective, responsible and educated with their approach to dealing with weeds in lakes. Completely DISAGREE that us(me) as the taxpayer who, through taxes, fees... not believing we should not have a voice and should simply just go along with whatever decisions are made and actions are taken to “control” weeds in our publicly managed reservoirs. Especially in light of the train wreck many(most?) of these actions has resulted in for so many years. To many negative case studies to ignore. Who works for who?🤔😡😜

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: Littledog] #13875238 02/05/21 05:56 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Littledog
So nobody is gonna want to hear this . . . (and be assured that I did not vote this way)

The previous administration did many great, common sense things.
One of the things was to roll back a bunch of dumb stuff in the Clean Water Act.
However, when you do that, you sometimes cut your own legs out for the rare occasions when you need them.

The current administration hammer is more . . . lets just say open to big government and as such will likely re-instate those
provisions that allow citizens and environmental groups to take legal actions.

There are several environmental organizations who will benefit from this. (WaterKeeper Alliance, Warriors for Clean Water, etc. for example)

Texas anglers (Bass clubs, Tournament organizers, Weekend anglers, Kayak clubs, etc.) need to form a non-profit organization and seek out partnerships with these environmental groups. (believe it or not)
They'll need a war chest to fund the legal actions that will be needed.

. . . or we can just ignore it and be good little sheep.

soldier

#MFGA
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: 361V] #13875276 02/05/21 06:27 PM
L
Littledog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by 361V
Yep, gotta agree that (so far) the bantering about it on a forum has done little to deter the state (TPWD) from being more selective, responsible and educated with their approach to dealing with weeds in lakes. Completely DISAGREE that us(me) as the taxpayer who, through taxes, fees... not believing we should not have a voice and should simply just go along with whatever decisions are made and actions are taken to “control” weeds in our publicly managed reservoirs. Especially in light of the train wreck many(most?) of these actions has resulted in for so many years. To many negative case studies to ignore. Who works for who?🤔😡😜

It is very frustrating for all the reasons you mention.
Every action the state takes is funded by you and I. We pay the salaries, buy the poison, maintain the sprayers.
I have no ill feelings toward TPWD as defined in their charter. I think all TPWD employees have the very best intentions and work hard to implement the things they think are right.
I do however feel that TPWD has gotten so large and so far reaching that mis-guided decisions and "outside influenced" decisions occur much to frequently.

You mention controlling weeds in "our publicly managed reservoirs". This is one area where the water gets really muddy in Texas.
Some reservoirs in Texas were built and are controlled by the Army Corps of Engrs. We might consider these to be "publicly managed" (??)
The rest (the majority) are not publicly owned or managed. (Private utilities, Water districts, Municipalities)
The public has access to them under some sort of agreement that nobody seems to know much about. It's all down hill from there.
Texas - all about private ownership.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13875379 02/05/21 07:39 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
No more “Clean, Drain, and Dry” for me. I’m gonna seed the lakes myself.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13875599 02/05/21 10:12 PM
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
So who is responsible for the spraying? TPWD or who? If we want something done its time to put a big in their ear big time.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: the skipper] #13875966 02/06/21 02:40 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by the skipper
So who is responsible for the spraying? TPWD or who? If we want something done its time to put a big in their ear big time.

Pretty sure it's the corps on Rayburn and sra on toledo with "cooperation" from tpw. The biggest issue I have with the process, is the lack of oversight. You'd think they'd have a state biologist in the dang boat showing them where to spray. The contractors don't care. I will say they've been spraying Rayburn forever up north and it has had no affect on fishing. But ..that's usually vast mats of salvinia.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876026 02/06/21 03:21 AM
L
Littledog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I agree with everyone who has posted. Every time this topic comes up, and it comes up more and more frequently, the level of frustration and anger seems to grow.
As an old guy;
Angry web posts, phone calls, stern letters, twitters, facebooks, or bugs in ears wont do it.
The only thing that will have real and lasting effect is legislation or the threat of financial impact.

I am not someone who advocates suing. I do not like lawyers. But make no mistake, this is exactly what it will take.

There is a HUGE amount of precedence for these types of actions. Texas anglers are not the first to have these problems.
Just look at the work done by these folks:
https://waterkeeper.org/
Look at what groups got created in Alabama when faced by the same issue on their lakes:
https://www.lawserver.com/law/state/alabama/al-code/alabama_code_title_9_chapter_21

on and on

You're gonna have to do these kinds of things.

I hate it. I really do.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876049 02/06/21 03:56 AM
L
Littledog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Regarding TPWD and aquatic weed control;
Here is what i have found:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_pl_t3200_1066.pdf

This is a sizeable document and I wont pretend to have understood all 59 pages.
It appears to have been updated in 2018. I do not know if there is a more recent version.

It defines the process that private entities are to follow to request aquatic weed eradication.
Even includes the submittal form. (see section E)

What I dont see is info regarding the following: (and again, it may be in there, I just didnt catch it when I read it.)
Where is this document applicable? Does it apply to every lake and pond in Texas or just those that TPWD has some "usage/ access agreement" to?
They use the term "public water". What does that really mean? Is a cooling lake owned by a power plant truly a public lake?
Who reviews the applications and makes the final approvals? Suzy at TPWD? (no offense Suzy.)
Who audits TPWD to see that all weed control activities in the state had a corresponding application and approval? (or is it the fox guarding the hen house?)
When TPWD takes it upon themselves to do eradication, do they follow the same application and approval process? If not, why not?

I would think that what Texas anglers would like is:
1. To have an approval board that included non-TPWD people / fishermen. (similar to the Alabama review board)
2. To have an independent (non-TPWD) that audits this application and approval process.
3. To have documented evidence that the application of the chemicals was witnessed and followed the plan.

You will need the stuff I described in earlier posts to make these things happen.

Last edited by Littledog; 02/06/21 04:13 AM. Reason: clearification
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876195 02/06/21 01:03 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Well I’m sure I will get hated on for posting this in here but I have seen first hand what no weed control does to a water system. Where I used to live we fished a beautiful oxbow river system. Great fishing and just beautiful. Water Hyacinth got in there from a high water event. At first it was great! Just in the pockets. Frog bite heaven. Beautiful flowers on the plants. Within 4 years you could not launch a boat in there. It was completely solid 5 mile long lake gone. Winters slowed the growth but did not kill it. I live on the north end of Sam Rayburn now. The Giant Salvinia gets so bad in the back of some of the areas I fish you can’t get back there. And that [censored] grows fast! I know that spraying kills the good grass too but never trying to control the bad stuff is not the right answer either. It will take a lake completely over if left unchecked. My .02 from seeing it my self.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876204 02/06/21 01:19 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Maybe it's time to form a group for Rayburn and do our own spraying. That way it can be monitored with oversight and better input from tpw/fisherman. We are in this to cut down on salvinia, not "spray as many areas as possible to get paid more".

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876354 02/06/21 03:18 PM
Big Red 12 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
TB grass got washed out in the flooding.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: Coolarrow] #13876381 02/06/21 03:31 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Coolarrow
Well I’m sure I will get hated on for posting this in here but I have seen first hand what no weed control does to a water system. Where I used to live we fished a beautiful oxbow river system. Great fishing and just beautiful. Water Hyacinth got in there from a high water event. At first it was great! Just in the pockets. Frog bite heaven. Beautiful flowers on the plants. Within 4 years you could not launch a boat in there. It was completely solid 5 mile long lake gone. Winters slowed the growth but did not kill it. I live on the north end of Sam Rayburn now. The Giant Salvinia gets so bad in the back of some of the areas I fish you can’t get back there. And that [censored] grows fast! I know that spraying kills the good grass too but never trying to control the bad stuff is not the right answer either. It will take a lake completely over if left unchecked. My .02 from seeing it my self.

I dont think anyone wants them to stop spraying period. We want them to spray the affected areas only not just everywhere and everything so they hit their quota on gallons used. There is no need to launch at monterrey and spray right there. Dang sure don't need to spray buckbrush

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876421 02/06/21 03:57 PM
D
D1988 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
D
I know spraying is a hot topic but I think maybe the chemicals used to spray could be changed to be more target specific. The money spent to spray might need to include more for research. I think its just like everything else follow the money. This being paid from tax dollars maybe there should be more public input. The ones that are in charge of the spraying may not have the best solution to the problem. The more input you have the more ideas to solve a problem affects all.

Re: Spraying on Rayburn [Re: ETXfisher91] #13876460 02/06/21 04:23 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
It comes down to the controlling body over the lake puts out for bids on spraying. Low bid wins, low bid = usually not the most top notch of businesses.

Sounds like the path of least resistance to satisfy the contract could be the path being taken.

#MFGA
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide