Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Brent S] #13869434 02/01/21 03:01 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
let me see if i understand this a boat manufacturer is putting on a tournament giving away a ton of money an prizes for the folks that buy his boats from the company that is putting on the tournament an most of the folks that are again whining about something for no reason because they dont have a wrmg boat an will never own one but feel the need to whine anyway that is about it isnt it.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Brent S] #13869439 02/01/21 03:04 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I fully understand the issue of calling it the US Open. I do not however understand the peopke upset that its caoked an open. If you want to fish it then buy a WRMG brand and let her rip. I am not gonna show up to the Berkley event and be mad that I can't throw Zoom products or show up to the Spro Frog Tournament and try to throw Snag Proof. Those are open events as well.

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: SC-001] #13869497 02/01/21 03:42 PM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SC-001
Annoyed would be the better term, what they are doing is mad disrespect, what if MLF called their championship event the Classic, how bow dat?

They say imitation is the highest for of flattery... So, have at it...

JM is doing it for kids, family, fishing buddies and conservation... I know we're all against that... Now if he would've listed baseball, hotdogs and apple pie... Slam dunk... Dan
roflmao

Last edited by Dan21XRS; 02/01/21 03:46 PM.

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Brent S] #13869537 02/01/21 04:08 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
[Linked Image]

Team Tournament?

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Brent S] #13869551 02/01/21 04:15 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I guess its official, interesting if any legal action happens, regardless its just wrong that white river marine group is using the name and will just further the hate Johnny Morris and his monopoly. Anyone who hasn't heard of the US open on lake Mead doesn't follow the sport very closely. I first heard about it in the book Bass Wars, do a little google search on Rick Clunns thoughts on that event and its place in the history of the sport, that should cement its importance. There are certain marquee events of the sport like the Classic, All-American and so on, the US open is in that group.

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Bill Durham] #13869557 02/01/21 04:21 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Bill Durham
That title is so missleading.. US Open.... to only owners of the boats he sells.. WTF??? "Open" doesn't mean Open.. its just a noun to describe a tournament. Nope!

What about the US Open golf tournament. Not just anyone can play. Do you have a problem with it

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Dubee] #13869562 02/01/21 04:26 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Dubee
That title is so missleading.. US Open.... to only owners of the boats he sells.. WTF??? "Open" doesn't mean Open.. its just a noun to describe a tournament. Nope!

What about the US Open golf tournament. Not just anyone can play. Do you have a problem with it

I thought there were a pre-determined amount of spots that amateurs can qualify for, not many make it but there's a chance, I know there was talk of Tony Romo almost making the cut for it a few years ago.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 02/01/21 04:27 PM.
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Lone_Wolf] #13869575 02/01/21 04:39 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf

I thought there were a pre-determined amount of spots that amateurs can qualify for, not many make it but there's a chance, I know there was talk of Tony Romo almost making the cut for it a few years ago.

Not exactly. You have to be a 2 handicap or better to even try to qualify. It's not just open to anyone

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Lone_Wolf] #13869576 02/01/21 04:40 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Anyone can play in a qualifier that will get them into the US Open. Like you said, "not many make it".
Kind of like JM's tourney. Your qualifier is owning one of his boats.

Last edited by SAKS; 02/01/21 04:40 PM.
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: BigDozer66] #13869577 02/01/21 04:41 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by SC-001
Last I checked there were not 2 US open golf, tennis, bowling tourneys and the fact that johnnys tournament is not an open at all makes it more ludicrous.

So it affects you emotionally or mentally? Do you feel the need to riot and protest? Maybe you can sue JM for brand discrimination...

If I were to ask everyone that I know, if they had ever heard of WON Bass US Open, almost everyone of them would say NO. I think the world can overcome this tiny dilemma for you offended. This is almost as humorous, as the guys crying about Ken Smiths opinions on his boat reviews.

I have never heard of it and Wikipedia has no listing for it.

Wiki does have listings for 26+ other US Opens but none of them fishing.

Although Wikipedia has a wealth of (mostly) good, (mostly)valid information, it is not the "be all/end all" of world information. If you are looking for information, go directly to the source.
https://wonbassevents.com/2020/10/12/2020-u-s-open-at-lake-mead-oct-12-14/
ps: I doubt if Wiki has any listings for BigDozer66 or grout-scout either, or SC-001 for that matter

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: BrockstaRama] #13869582 02/01/21 04:43 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Lies. I have bumped my 20 into plenty a nothing has happened. The trailer borke free of my truck because of the hitch on the highway and the boat came crashing into my tailgate at 60 mph. Only thing that wasn't damaged was the boat.

One thing I learned when I had my Z20 was that you must always have a pin or lock on the trailer coupler. The ones Nitro uses will open on their own very easily.

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Lone_Wolf] #13869591 02/01/21 04:47 PM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
... All-American and so on, the US open is in that group.

Should Kodak AP sue MLFLW for using "All American"? Bob Hope use to introduce the Kodak All American Football Team every year (he started this in 1967 during his Christmas show)... Dan

The original use of the term All-America seems to have been to the 1889 College Football All-America Team selected by Caspar Whitney and published in This Week's Sports.[1] Football pioneer Walter Camp also began selecting All-America teams in the 1890s and was recognized as the official selector in the early years of the 20th century.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/College_Football_All-America_Team

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: SAKS] #13869603 02/01/21 04:56 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SAKS

Anyone can play in a qualifier that will get them into the US Open. Like you said, "not many make it".
Kind of like JM's tourney. Your qualifier is owning one of his boats.

Not anyone can play in a qualifier. You have to be a 2 handicap or better. It's not open to anyone

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Brent S] #13869608 02/01/21 04:57 PM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
What? thats a different sport. Have someone else try an use the superbowl as their event name and see how that works out, some companies can't even utter the name superbowl, they have to say the big game. Don't understand copyright infringement detail but WON bass may have a case considering how long the event has been held.

Re: Johnny Morris US Open [Re: Lone_Wolf] #13869619 02/01/21 05:03 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

It’s not determined by what sponsorships you have, who makes your clubs or anything else. You can be exempt as a professional or qualify if you’re an amateur. Amateurs have to have a 1.4 or better handicap to apply to play in qualifiers. Romo was an amateur with a 1.4 handicap or better, and ultimately didn’t end up qualifying.

https://golftips.golfweek.usatoday.com/rules-qualify-open-20157.html

How Professionals Qualify

Any certified professional golfer may attempt to qualify for the U.S. Open. There are two rounds of qualifying: local qualifying 18 holes, which in 2011 allowed 550 players to advance to the sectional round.

Next is the 36-hole sectional level, which determines the remainder of players who in 2011 joined exempt players to comprise the 156-player field. The United States Golf Association also conducts international qualifying for players who don't regularly compete in the United States.

How Amateurs Qualify

The USGA mandates that amateurs golfers must have a handicap index of no greater than 1.4 to enter U.S. Open qualifying. If a player returns a score in excess of his expected range of his authenticated handicap, he must explain the circumstances for the discrepancy to the USGA's championships department or possibly forfeit a future right to attempt to qualify.

Local and Sectional Qualifying

Qualifying for non-exempt players begins in early May with local qualifying, an 18-hole test at sites in the United States for amateurs and professionals.

Those who advance face another 36 holes in sectional qualifying, with the survivors reaching the Open along with international qualifiers from 36-hole qualifying events held outside the United States. The number of spots available at each site vary; the larger the field, the more spots are usually available.

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide