Forums59
Topics1,038,972
Posts13,956,664
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: 1Champion] #13863339 01/27/21 05:13 PM
L
Littledog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by 1Champion
Ray Roberts had a 1.5 sq mile stand of hydrilla west of Wolf Island.
Along with other places. When they dropped the lake down 12+ feet to add more riprap at the dam it all died and connot come back like it did. It was some awesome punching when it was there.

Back in the early days of invasive weeds(70's ?) TVA learned that timing is everything.
They figured out that if they timed their spring "bring up" of lake levels, they could do a pretty good job of weed control.
Wheeler Lake for example had a good stand of Millfoil that was gradually being replace by Hydrilla.
TVA draws that lake down about 5' each fall in anticipation of winter rains.
In the spring, with warming temps and increasing daylight hours, the weeds start to emerge.
If TVA timed it correctly by putting an additional 5' of water over the new sprigs . . most would die out and not re-emerge.

Guntersville fluctuates very little from season to season and therefore has a good stand of weeds.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13863420 01/27/21 05:56 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by WLBDallas
I thought the same thing about Florida strain LMB.

I think hydrilla in Ray Roberts would be awesome.

Hydrilla WAS awesome in Roberts until they started treating it around the same time they started treating it in Fork and Sam Rayburn in the 90s and there were fish kills in all three lakes. There was a major push by the state to eradicate all invasive species from the state back in the 90s. Hydrilla was high on the list. They showed pictures of the Rio Grand full of grass south of Flacon and claimed the hydrilla was sucking up all the water, clogging pumps, and such...... At Roberts the grass use to go from the south end of Wolfe Island all the way up into lick and north into Wolfe, Indian, buck and other creeks. When the lake dropped it still grew and when it came back up it still grew.... The lake filled like two or three years sooner than they expected but the hydrilla took off once it did. It has always fluctuated and the grass always grew at different levels and in different areas. So I have never bought the whole drought water fluctuation argument Then all of sudden around 95-98 it just disappeared and has never really came back like it was. Also the lake was young compared to Fork and Sam Rayburn so I also discount the age argument especially since the state was pushing to eradicate at the time. Also feel LMBV was a fake disease to cover up impacts by chemicals. To coincidental and too much politics and $$$ at play. Milfoil and hydrilla came back a little around 2003-2005 and we caught some giants but the lake went though another down period in 2007 ish time frame and the fish looked sick and were all covered in sores and supper skinny. I have not fished it since then. I fished it from canoe before it opened and loved that lake over Fork actually until it got all jacked up. You had to see the number of big fish that came from that giant grass flat west of Wolfe Island it was outrageously good and fun.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: Littledog] #13863429 01/27/21 06:04 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by Littledog
If some weeds were to get caught up on your prop, trailer or in your live well and then accidently fell into RR . . . millfoil fishes a lot better than hydrilla. Just sayin. wink
Shouldn't be an issue for anybody. After all, if you can dump some creosote laden rail road ties . . .

Disagree and have seen myself Milfoil doesn’t hold fish like hydrilla does. With the way the grass is being treated at lakes like fork it will never take hold cause everytime it gets going on main lake areas it is getting sprayed. I have finally accepted it will never be like it was but man if you young guys would have fished it and lived it you would understand why us old dudes get a bit bent about it. 😊

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13863432 01/27/21 06:08 PM
WLBDallas Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I guess it is interesting that Tennessee can manage it, but Texas can't. Guess that's why Texas is Tennessee's first colony.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13863448 01/27/21 06:29 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Alot of this stuff is outside the control of TPWD. They have made mistakes in the past for sure and I think they would be the first to admit that. However, lots of spraying gets done that is not approved by TPWD. I know for a fact that there was a big herbicide application made on Richland Chambers that TPWD knows nothing about. The reality is that Tarrant Regional or any other water control board isn't going to ask permission from TPWD to spray in their own lake. They are going to hire a licensed applicator and go to work. Especially if it is blocking the dock of a VIP that needs to get his wake boat out.

The other issue, and maybe the larger one, is the fact that many of the companies doing the herbicide applications are not following the law. They have applicators out on the water that are spraying everything they see. Many don't even know their target species. Targeted applications of herbicide can be done successfully, but it takes an applicator that knows what he is doing and cares. Any time you see these guys spraying and it looks to be an applicator that doesn't know what he is doing, take a video. TPWD simply does not have the knowledge or employees to enforce this stuff. However, I have it on good authority from some high ups in the Texas Department of Agriculture that they will prosecute improper applications on public water. It does fall under their jurisdiction. All they need is some evidence to investigate.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13863485 01/27/21 06:55 PM
WLBDallas Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Alot of this stuff is outside the control of TPWD. They have made mistakes in the past for sure and I think they would be the first to admit that. However, lots of spraying gets done that is not approved by TPWD. I know for a fact that there was a big herbicide application made on Richland Chambers that TPWD knows nothing about. The reality is that Tarrant Regional or any other water control board isn't going to ask permission from TPWD to spray in their own lake. They are going to hire a licensed applicator and go to work. Especially if it is blocking the dock of a VIP that needs to get his wake boat out.

The other issue, and maybe the larger one, is the fact that many of the companies doing the herbicide applications are not following the law. They have applicators out on the water that are spraying everything they see. Many don't even know their target species. Targeted applications of herbicide can be done successfully, but it takes an applicator that knows what he is doing and cares. Any time you see these guys spraying and it looks to be an applicator that doesn't know what he is doing, take a video. TPWD simply does not have the knowledge or employees to enforce this stuff. However, I have it on good authority from some high ups in the Texas Department of Agriculture that they will prosecute improper applications on public water. It does fall under their jurisdiction. All they need is some evidence to investigate.

At least they haven't ruined Hubbard Creek yet. I'm sure it will come.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13863492 01/27/21 06:57 PM
Greg W Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Every time the grass at Pool starts to come back it floods and it dies again.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: Littledog] #13863523 01/27/21 07:22 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
Originally Posted by Littledog
So seriously;
As mentioned earlier and in this other posts; Texas (and TPWD) don't own or control the lake and usage of the water.
TPWD simply polices the states laws and regulations and yes, they provide the public service or rescuing folks in trouble, etc.
I would hope that they do not spend tax payer dollars on the maintenance of lakes "owned" by private entities. (weed eradication = maintenance)
It was mentioned that TPWD "assists" in the management of water owned by Sabine Water District or the City of Dallas or etc.
What you should ask is: "Does TPWD and the state of Texas get reimbursed for their "assistance"?
From there, you would then ask: "TPWD, why do you provide assistance that is counter to public interest?"

It would be very interesting to see what agreements are in place between the various utilities, water districts, municipalities and the state in terms of recreational water usage.
I have a feeling they are terribly poor to non-existent.

The whole TPWD situation is extremely twisted. If you look into all of the things that they have their finger into, it's mind boggling.
The state really needs to do a serious over hall of that department. (IMO)

But it's okay to stock fish using "tax payer funds" ? Slippery slope

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13863539 01/27/21 07:44 PM
V
Vogey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
So what's the scoop on Southern Naiad grass ? Is it as good as hydrilla for supporting a healthy bass population ? Advantages & disadvantages ? My understanding is that naiad grass is what is growing in Fayette county lake now...

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #13863580 01/27/21 08:11 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

That's good info. I will definitely video next time I see it. You would think a good law suit could atleast get them forced to stop spraying until it went thru the courts. That could take a while. Water test after applications, videos of poor spraying, dead fish, etc you would think the EPA would be all over this issue

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13864184 01/28/21 04:18 AM
MBF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Need to come up with a list of all the issues we are facing. Besides the hydrilla.
1. Texas needs many more game wardens to police our lands and waters.
Raise license fees, raise violation fees, raise registration fees. Create lake permits that boaters need to purchase for each lake that they operate on. Nobody knows that data or where to focus resources.
2. Herbicides. Spraying aerosolizes and gets into the lungs. No long term studies but we all know we drink it and eat the fish that are saturated with it. We need fish samples from various years to show chemical levels. I can get access to a mass spec and an attorney for a class action suit.

These agencies need to be run like a business unit. Need to revamp many things across the board.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13864326 01/28/21 12:29 PM
206champion Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
They need to figure out how to manage it.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: MBF] #13864341 01/28/21 12:51 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by MBF
Need to come up with a list of all the issues we are facing. Besides the hydrilla.
Raise license fees, raise violation fees, raise registration fees. Create lake permits that boaters need to purchase for each lake that they operate on. Nobody knows that data or where to focus resources.

So tax the hell out of the fishermen? Purchase Lake permits for each lake? nuts

Unless it’s recently changed the license money all goes into the general fund, it doesn’t stay with TPWD. Many of us may fish 10 or more lakes per year..
TPWD is the class of the entire nation, armchair quarterback it all you want, we are blessed to have them managing our fisheries. I love fishing grass as much as anyone, and I’ll also sneak in here in my post so it’s not super obvious unless you read it all, Ray Bob has hydrilla. Not like it once did but it’s there in multiple places, it’s thick, and healthy as can be.

Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: WLBDallas] #13864394 01/28/21 01:50 PM
O
over the hill @PK Offline
Angler
Angler
O
its politics and if Biden gets his way you want be able to aford gasoline to go fishing ! it will be trolling motor only like many of the california lakes because of polution

Butch Farmer
Re: Hydrilla - Texas Parks & Wildlife [Re: MBF] #13864409 01/28/21 02:00 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by MBF
2. Herbicides. Spraying aerosolizes and gets into the lungs. No long term studies but we all know we drink it and eat the fish that are saturated with it. We need fish samples from various years to show chemical levels. I can get access to a mass spec and an attorney for a class action suit.

These agencies need to be run like a business unit. Need to revamp many things across the board.

The only part of this I agree with is that the agencies need to be run like a business. They have plenty of money if used correctly. More bureaucracy is never the answer. You very quickly get to a situation like the State of Maine where it is near impossible to even interact with the natural resources in a legal way because the laws are so convoluted and contradictory. By the way TCEQ and the control authority of any lake that supplies water already have to do water samples. That data is available. You can put your mass spec back in the box.

By the way WLB Dallas. Hubbard Creek has been and will be sprayed again. The powers that be have areas there that they simply are not going to allow hydrilla. There are some really good guys from the private pond management industry working really hard to make sure that the spraying there is done in a way to prevent a mass kill. The initial sprays have been very precise and have worked as planned from what I understand. Hopefully the attention to details will continue on that lake, but it will be a constant battle.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide