Forums59
Topics1,037,823
Posts13,935,144
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859441 01/24/21 09:31 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Bush league. Finding fish is part of the competition for anyone with self respect.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859489 01/24/21 10:03 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
So many stupid replies in here. Most if not all of you must not ever actually travel to new waters as in new states, to fish. The others of you must be too poor to hire a guide.

I’m curious what is considered a big trail?????

I have Not seen any trail at any level that you could fish and run as a business with a working business plan that would satisfy the irs you stood to make a profit. Meaning your average purse winnings exceed your entry and costs.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13859577 01/24/21 11:06 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
So many stupid replies in here. Most if not all of you must not ever actually travel to new waters as in new states, to fish. The others of you must be too poor to hire a guide.

I have Not seen any trail at any level that you could fish and run as a business with a working business plan that would satisfy the irs you stood to make a profit. Meaning your average purse winnings exceed your entry and costs.

Figured you would be ok with it.
Yes have traveled to many new waters over the years. Doesn’t matter if it is a “big trail” or a bass club. If you hire a guide within a few days of a tournament you aren’t finding your own fish. You are paying someone else to show you where they late and how to catch them.
Purse doesn’t matter.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: TBassYates] #13859579 01/24/21 11:07 PM
G
Grant2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by TBassYates
Originally Posted by Grant2
No guide should be allowed to be hired before the tournament period. If your fishing a major tournament trail and you can’t do your own pre fishing and find your own fish maybe you don’t need to be fishing tournaments. There are plenty of guys that hire guides and split the winnings and that is also chicken [censored] on the guides end as well. There should be a rule against hiring guides before a tournament.

So you would deny a guide the opportunity to work and feed his family?
And if so how would you regulate this?

No of course not all people are allowed to make a living, but there are guides out there that put their services out there and ask the client if you win we split the winnings and that’s chicken [censored] period. There are tournaments that don’t allow guides to fish unless they have a 30 day off period so they take their buddies out and split the winnings. I have heard of this many times the chances of them winning may be low, but it happens and I don’t think it’s right and that’s only my 2 cents and each there own I guess if you have to do that to win. Put the time on the water just seems more rewarding to me if you do it yourself.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: Grant2] #13859631 01/24/21 11:37 PM
TBassYates Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TBassYates
No guide should be allowed to be hired before the tournament period. If your fishing a major tournament trail and you can’t do your own pre fishing and find your own fish maybe you don’t need to be fishing tournaments. There are plenty of guys that hire guides and split the winnings and that is also chicken [censored] on the guides end as well. There should be a rule against hiring guides before a tournament.

So you would deny a guide the opportunity to work and feed his family?
And if so how would you regulate this?

No of course not all people are allowed to make a living, but there are guides out there that put their services out there and ask the client if you win we split the winnings and that’s chicken [censored] period. There are tournaments that don’t allow guides to fish unless they have a 30 day off period so they take their buddies out and split the winnings. I have heard of this many times the chances of them winning may be low, but it happens and I don’t think it’s right and that’s only my 2 cents and each there own I guess if you have to do that to win. Put the time on the water just seems more rewarding to me if you do it yourself.

Grant2
Thanks for your reply and I hear what you’re saying. As a tournament angler myself for 30+ years I have fished tournaments with many different rules and I think the rules are where to start and as long as someone is abiding to them they should be fine because as we have seen there are those who will go beyond the rules.
As far as guides I never hold it against them if they aren’t doing anything wrong and will admit to you and everyone that back in the early 90’s before my first trip to Sam Rayburn I hired a guide just to help show me how to get around the area I chose to fish on that massive lake and I admit that it made a huge difference in how I did during that club tournament.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859640 01/24/21 11:42 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
All's fair in fishing,..if it's legal.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13859705 01/25/21 12:13 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W

Jeff. We all get It. You’ve got money and are a win at all costs guy. You’re the parent everyone hates in little league.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859708 01/25/21 12:15 AM
T
tx_basser Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
Whatever it takes to win: Guides, Binocs, Getting Info, Etc.. I'm not there to make friends only to cash a check.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859712 01/25/21 12:20 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
If it’s legal, no problem.

Wasn’t someone (KVD, maybe) sending his son or nephew ahead to fish lakes and report back to him? I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn’t impact off limits or no info rules.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859749 01/25/21 12:51 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Don't like the rules then don't enter. Pretty simple.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: tx_basser] #13859773 01/25/21 01:06 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tx_basser
Whatever it takes to win: Guides, Binocs, Getting Info, Etc.. I'm not there to make friends only to cash a check.

🤦‍♂️

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13859801 01/25/21 01:28 AM
L
LakeTylerMan Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I think it is OK. But especially if a lake is difficult or dangerous to get around without experience on the lake. Examples I can think of are Palestine and Caddo. Those can be dangerous to run. A guide can make them less so.
I don't tournament fish anymore.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: 9094] #13859859 01/25/21 02:03 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by 9094

Figured you would be ok with it.
Yes have traveled to many new waters over the years. Doesn’t matter if it is a “big trail” or a bass club. If you hire a guide within a few days of a tournament you aren’t finding your own fish. You are paying someone else to show you where they late and how to catch them.
Purse doesn’t matter.

I already said in here many posts ago a guy in my club hires guides plural for one tourney. And I dont care, it doesn’t bother me. I also Already states the two obvious and we all know it’s true you can be in fish one day in a spot and the next they are gone.

Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: wh2004] #13859875 01/25/21 02:19 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by wh2004

Jeff. We all get It. You’ve got money and are a win at all costs guy. You’re the parent everyone hates in little league.

Haha you got it almost all wrong. I could care less about winning in fishing, anyone and everyone can fish. It’s not like being a pro football player or soccer player etc.

I spent 24 seasons racing oval track and more than half of those making my living at it, I’m past caring much about competition. Fishing is about having a good time, which is why I share Every bit of info I can With everyone.

This will be my 6th season not racing so I did just pre pay to join A tour and will see if I like Competitive team fishing or not this year. It’s a 2500 to win each tourney closed 25 team series 6 event tour.

Wrong about little league also. I became A coach because of as hole dads for a season.

I am Not broke or poor and I like Big boy toys that part you got right.

Last edited by Jeff From Iowa; 01/25/21 02:33 AM.
Re: Hiring a Guide before a Tournament [Re: fishinfool649] #13860128 01/25/21 12:17 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
IMO hiring a guide before a tournament for spots and being shown exactly how to catch them is 100% BS whether the rules allow it or not. If that’s the kind of fisherman you are then you probably shouldn’t be entering tournaments in the first place. Huge difference in being given some waypoints or tips by someone versus being taken to the exact spot and shown how to catch them. Probably the same kind of guys that go shoot a 95 on the golf course and walk around all week telling anyone that will listen about the 83 they shot. Lol.

Last edited by buda13; 01/25/21 12:18 PM.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide