texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
_J_M_P_, josephhuff, BettaKeeper, cda94, KimR_71
116926 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 107,790
hopalong 104,727
Pilothawk 81,924
John175☮ 81,339
Bigbob_FTW 80,258
Derek 🐝 67,581
JDavis7873 67,408
Mark Perry 65,543
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics1,144,695
Posts15,520,990
Members141,926
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Whitney #13859150 01/24/21 05:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
Greg W Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
I have 3 kids that live in the Austin area and I live in Arlington, so looking to buy a weekend place closer to them so they can more easily come visit and have a place close to the lake. I know Whitney is a good white/striper lake, but how is it as a bass lake? I've never spent any time fishing it.

And any other suggestions heading south from Arlington. Once you get down close to Austin, the prices get outrageous on the lakes west of Austin.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859165 01/24/21 05:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,586
J
James P. Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,586
Whitney has some donkeys in it.

Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859173 01/24/21 06:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,275
3
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
3
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,275
Whitney can be a great bass fishing lake. Especially if you spend some time on it. Are you looking for true waterfront? Whitney is an Army Corp Of Engineers lake so no real waterfront. There are homes that sit HIGH above the lake overlooking the lake(water views) but there is a green belt around lake allowing the Corp to regulate the lake levels as they want/need(sometimes drastically). The size of this green belt is dictated more by elevation than actual distance from the water so properties high above can be close. There are a lot of older docks that are basically “grandfathered” in but I don’t believe you can get any new permits for new personal docks(if that’s something you wanted). Good luck with your search! Neil

Last edited by 361V; 01/24/21 06:10 PM.
Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859176 01/24/21 06:09 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,256
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,256
Sleeper lake, it sucked 20 years ago after the golden algae kills but it came back strong around 2008 went in a down cycle from pressure and now its in a good cycle again. The smallies never came back really, I think the golden algae killing off lots of the stripers really helped the largemouth.

Re: Whitney [Re: 361V] #13859180 01/24/21 06:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,256
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by 361V
Whitney can be a great bass fishing lake. Especially if you spend some time on it. Are you looking for true waterfront? Whitney is an Army Corp Of Engineers lake so no real waterfront. There are homes that sit HIGH above the lake overlooking the lake(water views) but there is a green belt around lake allowing the Corp to regulate the lake levels as they want/need(sometimes drastically). The size of this green belt is dictated more by elevation than actual distance from the water so properties high above can be close. There are a lot of older docks that are basically “grandfathered” in but I don’t believe you can get any new permits for new personal docks(if that’s something you wanted). Good luck with your search! Neil

Enough money can get anything pushed through, seen it on other corp lakes. The sold a chunk of land down by Towash but the possibility of your property flooding is going to be the problem.

Last edited by SC-001; 01/24/21 06:14 PM.
Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859202 01/24/21 06:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
Greg W Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
I don't have to be lake front as long as there is a close ramp, or even a marina to keep the boat at. Honestly if I did this I'd probably buy a 2nd boat. I keep my boat at the marina at Joe Pool to make it easy to get out for 2-3 hours after work and don't want to give that up until I retire. If I had a house down close to Whitney or Richland Chambers think I'd grab a 2nd boat and leave it down there. Then when I retire in 2-3 years sell one of the boats and just stay down at the lake 1/2 the time. I'd just get a full on lake house and sell my current house, but the wife doesn't want to move full time for church/friends/family are all here in Arlington. There are a lot of houses for sell close to Whitney for sub $200K so it's not that expensive. Current house is paid for so wouldn't be that bad.

Re: Whitney [Re: James P.] #13859309 01/24/21 07:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,524
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by James P.
Whitney has some donkeys in it.

Like Ott Defoe caught on monster bass...anyone know what month that episode was filmed ?

Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859327 01/24/21 08:13 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,024
D
dobbin Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,024
November


Champion Jigs
Re: Whitney [Re: fishnfireman] #13859508 01/24/21 10:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,853
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,853
Originally Posted by fishnfireman
Originally Posted by James P.
Whitney has some donkeys in it.

Like Ott Defoe caught on monster bass...anyone know what month that episode was filmed ?


any link to watch it?



Re: Whitney [Re: dobbin] #13859564 01/24/21 11:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,524
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,524
Originally Posted by dobbin
November

thumb
Just happened to catch it on TV a couple of weeks ago.. Don't know if theres someplace to view it or not.. The size he caught was amazing. It must have took awhile. They showed a quick glimpse of his chart close to where he caught a couple..... He had worked it a LOT - It looked like spaghetti

Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859584 01/24/21 11:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,444
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
L
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,444
Originally Posted by Greg W
I don't have to be lake front as long as there is a close ramp, or even a marina to keep the boat at. Honestly if I did this I'd probably buy a 2nd boat. I keep my boat at the marina at Joe Pool to make it easy to get out for 2-3 hours after work and don't want to give that up until I retire. If I had a house down close to Whitney or Richland Chambers think I'd grab a 2nd boat and leave it down there. Then when I retire in 2-3 years sell one of the boats and just stay down at the lake 1/2 the time. I'd just get a full on lake house and sell my current house, but the wife doesn't want to move full time for church/friends/family are all here in Arlington. There are a lot of houses for sell close to Whitney for sub $200K so it's not that expensive. Current house is paid for so wouldn't be that bad.

ehhhh, theres a reason for the cheaper housing, I have associates in Hill co. PD, the crime rate around Whitney is the highest in the county. There are nice areas but also bad with a ton of scum and drug activity out there, buyer beware.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 01/24/21 11:12 PM.
Re: Whitney [Re: Lone_Wolf] #13859671 01/24/21 11:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
Greg W Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
ehhhh, theres a reason for the cheaper housing, I have associates in Hill co. PD, the crime rate around Whitney is the highest in the county. There are nice areas but also bad with a ton of scum and drug activity out there, buyer beware.


Good to know. Certainly don't want the boat messed with. Thanks for the advice.

Re: Whitney [Re: Greg W] #13859840 01/25/21 01:54 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,380
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 15,380
Yeh. I bought a house there and was gonna keep it for a vacation place. It’s 1 mile from McCown park. During the 6 months I spent remodeling it, I learned a lot. I flipped the house.


Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3