texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
NYRanger, KC Basser, Alwaysfishin69, KTM, MDbassnpro
114667 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 100,584
hopalong 94,331
Pilothawk 80,700
John175☮ 78,660
Bigbob_FTW 71,218
JDavis7873 67,401
Derek 🐝 66,110
Mark Perry 62,208
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics1,140,930
Posts15,587,173
Members139,667
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Graph upgrade?? #13857313 01/23/21 02:38 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
S
Statton48 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
So I been thinking a lot on upgrading my graphs. Right now I have all lowrance gen3 touch. Two 12” at console and two 9” up front. Rarely use both 9” up front but religiously run both 12”..... one stays on mapping with sonar and the other is DI and SI...... looking at upgrading but not sure it’s worth it? Been looking hard at the mega 360. I like how easily it is to line up on your target and be able to make correct cast without guessing. Live scope and Active look really fun but not sure how well it would be used for bass fishing applications.

So I guess my question to the more experienced with technology, which route would you take if you were in my shoes with what i have right now?

Applications I like to fish are generally the usual. I like to find structure, bends, swings, etc etc.... also like chasing schools with big cranks. Just wondering how I could get the best use out of something without having to buy multiple brands/units

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13857327 01/23/21 02:46 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,384
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,384
I have used a 360 but don't own one, I do own a live scope. I bought live scope to crappie fish more than bass and it's great for that. I have caught bass off brush and fishing deeper or in more open water structure fishing. But in my opinion, the 360 is a lot more useful for bass fishing. If I had to chose between them, 360 for bass fishing 100%.

Live scope has it's usefulness and I can think of situations it would outshine 360, but overall I think 360 will get used a lot more often if you bass fish.


“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13857361 01/23/21 03:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 74
B
bockscar Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 74
Id say wait until humminbird rolls out their mega live to see what it really performs like. im a huge bird fan cuz I feel their DI and SI is well above the competition with how crisp the returns are. my Elite Ti2 picks up the same...but the birds are just so crisp. then when you look at the mega 360 screenshots....I have a strong feeling the Mega Live is gonna leave Garmin, and especially Lowrance in the dust. All speculation tho...I wasnt expecting Lowrance's first go at live imaging to suck so bad, and it did (imo).

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13858015 01/23/21 06:35 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
S
Statton48 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
Anyone else?

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13858028 01/23/21 06:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 206
M
mhall1986 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 206
Definitely upgrade. Then sell the graphs you have to me for a heck of a deal.

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: mhall1986] #13858127 01/23/21 08:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
S
Statton48 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by mhall1986
Definitely upgrade. Then sell the graphs you have to me for a heck of a deal.

It’s a possibility

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13860081 01/25/21 06:37 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
S
Statton48 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
No one else?? Cmon fellas

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13860240 01/25/21 02:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
B
Bass Anonymous Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 23
Had older Lowrances and upgraded to the birds. My partner has newer Lowrances and we fish more out of my boat. Have a 10" at console and a 12" at the bow with 360. Glad I did it.


Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.
- More Maxims of Mark, Merle Johnson, 1927
Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13860499 01/25/21 05:22 PM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 144
W
WLBDallas Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 144
Birds

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: bockscar] #13860517 01/25/21 05:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 192
cjbles Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by bockscar
Id say wait until humminbird rolls out their mega live to see what it really performs like. im a huge bird fan cuz I feel their DI and SI is well above the competition with how crisp the returns are. my Elite Ti2 picks up the same...but the birds are just so crisp. then when you look at the mega 360 screenshots....I have a strong feeling the Mega Live is gonna leave Garmin, and especially Lowrance in the dust. All speculation tho...I wasnt expecting Lowrance's first go at live imaging to suck so bad, and it did (imo).


Lowarance's fir go at live was Garmin's old technology that was licensed from Garmin and their new Active Target is the same IMO based on the lawsuit Lowrance won.

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13860631 01/25/21 06:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 975
B
billynjuls Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
B
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 975
I have the Mega 360 and love it. I like being able to set it to front view only about 60 ft in front of me and see all the logs, rocks, brushpiles, creeks, etc, and then being able to make an exact cast to them and not having to worry which way my trolling motor is pointed.

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13860701 01/25/21 07:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,484
G
grout-scout Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,484
You want opinions and I’m bored, so...

For bass fishing, id have to think the mega 360 would be the most beneficial. I have Livescope and it’s absolute death on crappies and Kyle Welcher proved its great on stump sitting largemouth. But the downfall to it, is the narrow cone that it offers.

I have not tried it in perspective mode though and that just might be the cats meow for bass fishing. If you’re not in a rush, I’d take a long look at mega 360 and their soon mega live.

No matter what route you go, you’re gonna have to drop some serious $$$. Unfortunately you won’t get much in return for the gen3’s, so you might keep them for networking and add a third unit at the bow. (Unless money is no object, which would be a great problem to have! Lol)

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Statton48] #13862883 01/27/21 08:10 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,305
R
Rocky Robison Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,305
Monday I'm having installed on my big boat a Ghost trolling motor with a 3/1 Xducer with the Mega 360 Xducer I've been using on my Ultrex mounted on it, a new Carbon 12 and H'bird Helix 12 G4N for 360 only, both on a BBT dual mount on the bow. Point One puck and a Power Pole Charger. Waiting on the Lowrance Active Target Live Xducer to come in. Already have a Carbon 12 in dash and will network all the Lowrances, Power Poles and Charger.
This is what I'm upgrading from. Taking off the flush mounted HDS 9 gen 3 and a Ram mounted Helix 9 MDI G3N that I've been using for Mega 360 only, the Ultrex w/heading sensor and the Minn Kota charger.

On my little 16' boat, as soon as I can go get the boat back here, I'm updating to this stuff I already have, 2 Garmin 93SV UHDs with GT54 Xducers, a new Terrova with another Mega 360 Xducer, and the Helix 9 MDI off the other boat and my Livescope Xducer. This is what I'm taking off, 2 Garmin Striker 7SVs with GT52 Xducers. The Garmin units are stupid easy to use, probably a little simpler than the Lowrances.

For your question, this is what I probably would do. The HDS gen 3s are very good units, keep the 2 12s on the console. Sell the 2 HDS 9 gen 3s up front, they are still bringing fair money at around $900 a piece = $1800, maybe sell your mount unless it's compatible with bigger units. Replace one 9 with a new 12 Live (sold mine for $2200), or new Carbon 12 $1600 if you can find one. Add a Mega 360 Xducer approx $1100 and put a Helix 12 MDI G4N CHO in place of the other 9 at approx $1900 on a new BBT or Precision dual mount approx $275 with the new 12 Lowrance. Then you could add a Lowrance Active Target Live Xducer later $1500.
The Gen 3 HDs 12s on the console can network with the new Carbon or Live you put on the bow.
By selling the 2 9s you'll basically just be out $$ on 1 Helix unit and the Mega 360 Xducer the new dual mount if needed, + or - $200 depending on which 12 Lowrance you get, total spent between 3 - $3500. Then the $$ Active Target Live later at $1500.
One thing for sure, I will never have a boat without Mega 360 on it again!

Good luck on which ever way you go!

Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: bockscar] #13862922 01/27/21 12:09 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,386
R
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
R
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 1,386
Originally Posted by bockscar
Id say wait until humminbird rolls out their mega live to see what it really performs like. im a huge bird fan cuz I feel their DI and SI is well above the competition with how crisp the returns are. my Elite Ti2 picks up the same...but the birds are just so crisp. then when you look at the mega 360 screenshots....I have a strong feeling the Mega Live is gonna leave Garmin, and especially Lowrance in the dust. All speculation tho...I wasnt expecting Lowrance's first go at live imaging to suck so bad, and it did (imo).


I can't wait see how the Bird Mega Live works. I'd add to my Helix 12 Gn3 if it's all that.


GOD is good!
Re: Graph upgrade?? [Re: Rocky Robison] #13863630 01/27/21 08:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
S
Statton48 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 344
Originally Posted by Rocky Robison
Monday I'm having installed on my big boat a Ghost trolling motor with a 3/1 Xducer with the Mega 360 Xducer I've been using on my Ultrex mounted on it, a new Carbon 12 and H'bird Helix 12 G4N for 360 only, both on a BBT dual mount on the bow. Point One puck and a Power Pole Charger. Waiting on the Lowrance Active Target Live Xducer to come in. Already have a Carbon 12 in dash and will network all the Lowrances, Power Poles and Charger.
This is what I'm upgrading from. Taking off the flush mounted HDS 9 gen 3 and a Ram mounted Helix 9 MDI G3N that I've been using for Mega 360 only, the Ultrex w/heading sensor and the Minn Kota charger.

On my little 16' boat, as soon as I can go get the boat back here, I'm updating to this stuff I already have, 2 Garmin 93SV UHDs with GT54 Xducers, a new Terrova with another Mega 360 Xducer, and the Helix 9 MDI off the other boat and my Livescope Xducer. This is what I'm taking off, 2 Garmin Striker 7SVs with GT52 Xducers. The Garmin units are stupid easy to use, probably a little simpler than the Lowrances.

For your question, this is what I probably would do. The HDS gen 3s are very good units, keep the 2 12s on the console. Sell the 2 HDS 9 gen 3s up front, they are still bringing fair money at around $900 a piece = $1800, maybe sell your mount unless it's compatible with bigger units. Replace one 9 with a new 12 Live (sold mine for $2200), or new Carbon 12 $1600 if you can find one. Add a Mega 360 Xducer approx $1100 and put a Helix 12 MDI G4N CHO in place of the other 9 at approx $1900 on a new BBT or Precision dual mount approx $275 with the new 12 Lowrance. Then you could add a Lowrance Active Target Live Xducer later $1500.
The Gen 3 HDs 12s on the console can network with the new Carbon or Live you put on the bow.
By selling the 2 9s you'll basically just be out $$ on 1 Helix unit and the Mega 360 Xducer the new dual mount if needed, + or - $200 depending on which 12 Lowrance you get, total spent between 3 - $3500. Then the $$ Active Target Live later at $1500.
One thing for sure, I will never have a boat without Mega 360 on it again!

Good luck on which ever way you go!


Thanks for the great break down and honest opinion. Much appreciated

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3