Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific #13856951 01/22/21 10:04 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I promise I wont ask for waypoints or secret baits...or what color jiggin rap 🤫you all recommend for them ledges! 😂But I'm gonna be taking my first road trip with my boat out there solo...so Im trying to learn all I can about the lake so I can prepare myself and create contingency plans if I get myself into trouble....hopefully no cartel related trouble if I can help it! LOL...but kinda serious.

So to start....the lake looks ridiculously huge compared to what I fish (Elephant Butte), do people really fish ALL over the lake? Or are there certain "fishing areas" and certain "recreation areas" like I hear you sometimes see on some lakes? Is it pretty easy to run wide open...or do I need to worry about stumps, mystery rockpiles and other water hazards while running (its only a 50hp on a tracker, but im not trying to wreck it either)? I am planning on buying the lakemaster set for Amistad in hopes of avoiding water hazards. How often do you all fish into Mexican waters....and is there anything to realistically worry about when doing that? Ive read some gunfire stories...but I think they were from Falcon, not Amistad. But I figure there is still potential for trouble. And I will be solo, so figure Im maybe an easier target....but Id prefer not to carry my gun with me...but im willing to bring the AK if i have to 🤔😂 JK of course

What do you all do when you have boat problems? I'm spoiled and lucky as hell that the NM Park Rangers are awesome at my home lake and are always there if you need them in a situation where you need a pull, or a rescue in general....they really are amazing at Elephant Butte...like ridiculously good, cuz Ive seen some videos of them helping out some googans on the water! LOL

Is there anything you wish you had known earlier...or feel like is good info or advice for a first timer? I hear the winds can get bad...but Elephant butte has trained me pretty good. Im usually good in the Tracker up to 20 mph sustained....i just gotta fish off the back and let that spot lock do its thing! So I think Im OK on the prep for weather...and wont be stupid. But anything else that you all might think could help a newbie, itd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by bockscar; 01/22/21 10:07 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13856955 01/22/21 10:10 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
A small boat at Amistad with 20 mph winds will get you killed. You need a Mexico fishing license to fish their side, no cartel issues, but trust no one over there.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...guide-report-january-3-2021#Post13831187

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: grout-scout] #13856962 01/22/21 10:16 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I do ok at the butte...not fun, but doable if smart about where you go and pay attention to wind direction to use the topography of the lake to stay out of the worst of it. I know my limits tho for sure once the rollers get bigger...figure 20mph is different at every lake too. I just wanna make sure I dont need to be looking over my shoulder...figure ill just leave if im around anyone....American or Mexican. Not a fan of community holes LOL

where do you get the license for Mexico? Tried googling...and the site I found said they weren't selling them any more...not sure if it was cuz of Covid

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13856966 01/22/21 10:18 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
If you've ever came out of the narrows at EB when the winds been blowing all the way from the dam all day...Well you get the picture.
I'll send you a PM later when I have more time. My one finger typing takes a while. When are you going down ?

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: grout-scout] #13856968 01/22/21 10:18 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I was prolly exaggerating LOL...if 20 is in the forecast ill still go out....but not if its 20+ all day. i can do it in spurts....but yea, it gets pretty washing machine pretty quick out there!

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: fishnfireman] #13856969 01/22/21 10:19 PM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
i wanna go and do some sight fishing...thinking March/April

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13857067 01/22/21 11:56 PM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
L
I can’t tell you why but sight fishing has sucked for the last several years. Also if you are looking at a paper map, throw it out. Lake is 35 feet low so 1/3 the size it is on your map. At the current level it’s actually pretty safe wind wise.

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13857099 01/23/21 12:26 AM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
You can be running in a 100 feet of water and the next thing you know you're in 6 inches. Pay attention to the forecast when it comes to the wind, you don't want to be out there when it comes up. Don't be running wide open if you don't know Amistad. Love the lake but you need to RESPECT it.

Last edited by Topwater2; 01/23/21 12:27 AM.

FishKen
Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: leethefishking] #13857105 01/23/21 12:32 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by leethefishking
I can’t tell you why but sight fishing has sucked for the last several years. Also if you are looking at a paper map, throw it out. Lake is 35 feet low so 1/3 the size it is on your map. At the current level it’s actually pretty safe wind wise.

It’s 43’ low now. Yes it can be protected, unless he runs out by the dam and a front blows in. He just needs to pay good attention.

Amistad is always windy in the spring. If Box Canyon is still open, that’s a big safer area from fronts. Cruise up to Cow Creek and look at the bluff walls.

If you need fishing tips, don’t ask me, I suck there! And pretty much everywhere else, lol.

Last edited by grout-scout; 01/23/21 12:36 AM.
Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: grout-scout] #13857181 01/23/21 01:18 AM
L
leethefishking Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
L
Originally Posted by grout-scout

It’s 43’ low now. Yes it can be protected, unless he runs out by the dam and a front blows in. He just needs to pay good attention.

Amistad is always windy in the spring. If Box Canyon is still open, that’s a big safer area from fronts. Cruise up to Cow Creek and look at the bluff walls.

If you need fishing tips, don’t ask me, I suck there! And pretty much everywhere else, lol.
Oh yeah, I was getting my dry [censored] lakes mixed up. Could be 50 low by spring.

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: Topwater2] #13857214 01/23/21 01:35 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Topwater2
You can be running in a 100 feet of water and the next thing you know you're in 6 inches. Pay attention to the forecast when it comes to the wind, you don't want to be out there when it comes up. Don't be running wide open if you don't know Amistad. Love the lake but you need to RESPECT it.

And that 6 inches ain't got no soft muddy bottom. Straight up rock

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13857231 01/23/21 01:45 AM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
One thing I forgot to add in PM - be sure to adjust the lake level offset on your chart for the week your there.

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: bockscar] #13857274 01/23/21 02:11 AM
blondie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
We usually catch decent numbers in Evans Creek and California Creek. Our best luck comes on 5” senkos watermelon or green pumpkin wacky rigged on a 1/0 gamma wacky hook. The bushes in 5-10 feet are usually more productive for us. If there is a north wind go to box canyon and fish the north bank. I caught quite a few on a drop shot last year. Seems like the Z man Drew’s claw colored finesse trd and the bass pro stick-o in Houdini color produced the most numbers. Throw them around the points

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: grout-scout] #13857315 01/23/21 02:39 AM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B

Damn...thats a bummer! lol the butte is usually dirty water too so I was hoping to see what cleaner water was like during the spawn. Thats ok...at least I know theyll be shallow. Cuz i been reading some people talking about 100 feet and catching them that deep! Thats insane to me! The butte is basically all my fishing experience tho. Im gonna do the lakemaster...figure its worth it if itll keep my lower unit on. LOL

Originally Posted by Topwater2

Wide open for me is 28 mph...luckily! I think thats why i do decent in the wind...kinda keeps me in check instead of trying to cut through waves like Im in a glass boat! Elephant butte is very similar with needing to pay attention to the forecast...and even at that you still gotta pay attention to the environmental cues to catch that wind that comes in at 2 when it wasnt supposed to come in till 5....damn weathermen...best job ever, they dont gotta be good at it at all to stay gainfully employed 😂

Elephant butte has sunk a few boats in recent years.....one was a champion a couple years ago. So it gets real...real quick out there too! Ive had the boat a few years...and been teaching myself slowly and pushing myself when i feel more comfortable to go out in wilder wind. Im on my toes...but ill go out if 15mph sustained with those 20 spikes here and therre...and the tracker does well in the right situations surprisingly. I almost drowned at the butte when I was younger so Im sure thats why I have the respect for the water that i do...but yea...ive learned that you have to pay attention to forecasts and the environment...and also plan accordingly.

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Thanks for the tips and areas Grout! Dont worry about sucking....i can NOT CATCH THEM with the best of em 😂

Re: Tell a newbie about Amistad...not fishing specific [Re: blondie] #13857326 01/23/21 02:46 AM
B
bockscar Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by tmd11111

And that 6 inches ain't got no soft muddy bottom. Straight up rock

Damn...prolly get flashbacks from the butte for how many times Ive hit mystery rock piles while graphing! LOL

Originally Posted by fishnfireman
One thing I forgot to add in PM - be sure to adjust the lake level offset on your chart for the week your there.

Ill check that out in a few! THANK YOU for taking the time! And that lake level offset is seriously a key feature...and almost makes the graphs worth it...no lie...especially if you fish irrigation lakes where the water is always changing and its a new damn lake every weekend...like the butte! Damned agriculture!

Originally Posted by blondie
We usually catch decent numbers in Evans Creek and California Creek. Our best luck comes on 5” senkos watermelon or green pumpkin wacky rigged on a 1/0 gamma wacky hook. The bushes in 5-10 feet are usually more productive for us. If there is a north wind go to box canyon and fish the north bank. I caught quite a few on a drop shot last year. Seems like the Z man Drew’s claw colored finesse trd and the bass pro stick-o in Houdini color produced the most numbers. Throw them around the points

Thank you for the areas!!! Ive been reading lots about deep...and i guess Denny Brauer is still a reg...and still pulling out bigs. But I also read that hes fishing super deep...and is doing lots of "secret" or next level type stuff. Hell, even if it wasnt secret not sure Id be able to pull a fish out of 100 feet of water 🤔I wanna go during the spawn because I think theyre most likely to be shallow then and i can fish to my strengths instead of doing stuff I never done before. Ill definitely keep those baits in mind if it gets tough...throwing neds is torture to me! LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide