Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855315 01/21/21 06:52 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have 4 of those " squirrel buster " feeders , at times I will have 40-50 birds trying to feed at once . I fill those feeders everyday . Go through 50lbs a month in bird food .
My dad is an avid birder --- leads groups and gives speeches at least once a month . He was just telling me saturday , how excited some of his colleagues are --- because shifting weather patterns tend to bring in the rare birds --- a true dream for birders is to claim they were " first " that found a rare bird in a non typical location . Kinda like hitting a game winning home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13855328 01/21/21 06:57 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
I have 4 of those " squirrel buster " feeders , at times I will have 40-50 birds trying to feed at once . I fill those feeders everyday . Go through 50lbs a month in bird food .
My dad is an avid birder --- leads groups and gives speeches at least once a month . He was just telling me saturday , how excited some of his colleagues are --- because shifting weather patterns tend to bring in the rare birds --- a true dream for birders is to claim they were " first " that found a rare bird in a non typical location . Kinda like hitting a game winning home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.

Interesting. If a person sent a photo of a bird to him, would he "ID" it for them? We have a book of Birds of North Texas but there are some species of birds that look a lot alike.

Yes, I have a squirrel buster feeder as well, but they swarm to my home made plastic jar, twig and board feeder. Every once in a while a bird will land on the Squirrel buster.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855399 01/21/21 07:26 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome thread! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: Bob Davis] #13855438 01/21/21 07:47 PM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

Interesting. If a person sent a photo of a bird to him, would he "ID" it for them? We have a book of Birds of North Texas but there are some species of birds that look a lot alike.

Yes, I have a squirrel buster feeder as well, but they swarm to my home made plastic jar, twig and board feeder. Every once in a while a bird will land on the Squirrel buster.
[Linked Image]

He would only be interested in it if it's a really rare bird ---- he is an old Lockheed engineer that is kinda nerdy ( at 86) . He runs in a small group of " extreme " birders . THese are guys and gals mainly in California . You would be shocked at how they track rare birds --- it's kinda cult like .
For your squirrel busters , I have all of mine on a typical metal pole .I then mounted a metal 16" shelf bracket that holds a 12" plastic garden saucers to catch all the scrap . I put them in area's that the birds feel safe from Hawks ( especially Coopers hawks ) . I also have salvia all over my property --- hummingbirds love that . I have a couple of hummingbirds that will come right up to me if I wear bright colors and sit still .

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: 1oldbassguy] #13855462 01/21/21 07:57 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B

He would only be interested in it if it's a really rare bird ---- he is an old Lockheed engineer that is kinda nerdy ( at 86) . He runs in a small group of " extreme " birders . THese are guys and gals mainly in California . You would be shocked at how they track rare birds --- it's kinda cult like .
For your squirrel busters , I have all of mine on a typical metal pole .I then mounted a metal 16" shelf bracket that holds a 12" plastic garden saucers to catch all the scrap . I put them in area's that the birds feel safe from Hawks ( especially Coopers hawks ) . I also have salvia all over my property --- hummingbirds love that . I have a couple of hummingbirds that will come right up to me if I wear bright colors and sit still .

thumb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855479 01/21/21 08:05 PM
C
Coach Hark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
We have a rare bird in our neighborhood. A lady got a few shots of it and posted it on our neighborhood FB page. It’s a bald eagle and has a channel cat in its left claw. It was some cool pics.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right

http://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: Coach Hark] #13855484 01/21/21 08:10 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Coach Hark
We have a rare bird in our neighborhood. A lady got a few shots of it and posted it on our neighborhood FB page. It’s a bald eagle and has a channel cat in its left claw. It was some cool pics.

I bet that was cool to see-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855506 01/21/21 08:27 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I feed exclusively with sunflower seeds. I have the squirrel resistant feeders. I have at least 3 dozen goldfinches hitting the feeders, along with most of the above mentioned birds. I have 4 feeders out and refill them nearly daily. The goldfinches have very little color until March and April, then they move north.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855551 01/21/21 09:02 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Thank you both Bob and Curt, I’m enjoying these feeder pics-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855610 01/21/21 09:40 PM
F
flee fly Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
There once was I time a couple of months ago i wondered are we going to get any birds. With the 8 feeders I have I’m now ate up with birds. I have so many pine sisken’s I could almost feed them by hand. All the family of finches and wrens. Eastern bluebirds are now back at their bird houses, coolest bird so far is a red bellied woodpecker that will show up by our bedroom window where I’ve got some diff flavors of suet cakes, he seems to like the peanut butter one the best.

byron
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: flee fly] #13855625 01/21/21 09:46 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by flee fly
There once was I time a couple of months ago i wondered are we going to get any birds. With the 8 feeders I have I’m now ate up with birds. I have so many pine sisken’s I could almost feed them by hand. All the family of finches and wrens. Eastern bluebirds are now back at their bird houses, coolest bird so far is a red bellied woodpecker that will show up by our bedroom window where I’ve got some diff flavors of suet cakes, he seems to like the peanut butter one the best.

Show me a photo of a pine sisken if you would please. I thought a few of the ones I've seen may be pine siskens as well. At least according to the book of Texas bird photos. Thanks.

We have a red bellied woodpecker that eats at my neighbors tree every day. We saw some bluebirds, 3 of them but they did not stay in the area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855656 01/21/21 10:30 PM
M
Mo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
I am covered up with Cardinals and Tuffted Titmouse, my wife thought I was making up that name she googled it.

We have crows that don't come to the feeder, Big red headed woodpecker in the neighborhood ,
had a redshouldered hawk the other morning, and we have Great Blue Herons on the dock, ( they are all named
Charlie , a story for another time ).

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: Mark Perry] #13855686 01/21/21 10:58 PM
TexDawg Online Content
Top Dawg
Online Content
Top Dawg
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Cardinals and dove kinda run the place here. We get a LOT of different birds out here on our place but cardinals and dove seem to control the feeders here. We have Fat Mike the squirrel and a few of his buddies but they don't eat till Fat Mike is done eating.

Please gently pass on to Fat Mike and his crew that several of his cousins have gone on to that big Acorn factory in the sky and to stay out of Liquor City if they like their nuts. grin

A few of Fat Mike's homies have gotten squished up the road as you turn onto Hwy 380. I figured they either were the slow runners or they were taken out by a rival squirrel crew.

Three squished squirrels on alma just north of exchange today, you could throw a blanket over them, I wondered what happened to them to be group squished like that

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: TexDawg] #13855706 01/21/21 11:15 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by TexDawg
Cardinals and dove kinda run the place here. We get a LOT of different birds out here on our place but cardinals and dove seem to control the feeders here. We have Fat Mike the squirrel and a few of his buddies but they don't eat till Fat Mike is done eating.

Please gently pass on to Fat Mike and his crew that several of his cousins have gone on to that big Acorn factory in the sky and to stay out of Liquor City if they like their nuts. grin

A few of Fat Mike's homies have gotten squished up the road as you turn onto Hwy 380. I figured they either were the slow runners or they were taken out by a rival squirrel crew.

Three squished squirrels on alma just north of exchange today, you could throw a blanket over them, I wondered what happened to them to be group squished like that

Maybe one female in season and then 2 suitors.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Bird Feeding Observation [Re: DCmac] #13855943 01/22/21 02:48 AM
S
Siberman Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I use feeders but usually just throw out sunflower seed on the driveway . I have all kinds feeding there but I'm having to change my method as my rescue dog (Alpha) is a bird-catching fool .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide