Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lowrance point 1 #13853938 01/20/21 10:19 PM
A
Anthonysince94 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
If I installed a point one on the back of my boat and linked it to each unit via nmea 2000 network, what settings do I need to change for my bow unit to stop spinning around when I'm looking at the graph?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13853942 01/20/21 10:22 PM
karaider00 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Go under settings then network. Then you pick your gps source, I think it’s the first option. Turn that on point 1.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: karaider00] #13853961 01/20/21 10:30 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by karaider00
Go under settings then network. Then you pick your gps source, I think it’s the first option. Turn that on point 1.

So do both units go on point one or just the console unit? I just dont want the bow unit to spin when I'm fishing.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13853979 01/20/21 10:39 PM
karaider00 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I did both on mine.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854170 01/21/21 12:36 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Both...just remember that waypoints will be saved over the Point 1’s physical location, not the transducer location.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: karaider00] #13854172 01/21/21 12:37 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by karaider00

Incorrect. Which GPS antenna source you use is irrelevant for the map spin issue.

What matters is the proper selection of the magnetic sensor. I forget exactly what it's called, but you must enable the external magnetic sensor for any unit you wish to prevent from spinning the map when you are stationary, or nearly stationary.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854177 01/21/21 12:40 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
These new fangled electronics make my head hurt

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13854187 01/21/21 12:44 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Both...just remember that waypoints will be saved over the Point 1’s physical location, not the transducer location.

If you leave the GPS antenna setting for the bow unit alone, that unit will accurately put you back on the spot, assuming the transducer is on the trolling motor. What is needed for most bass boater instances is to utilize the magnetic sensor that comes as part of the Point-1. So many people think the magic is all about the fact that it's a GPS antenna, and that isn't true.

The most accurate location repeatability typically comes with: Bow unit uses internal GPS antenna, or at least an antenna at the bow, while console units use a GPS antenna located near the transom. ALL units should use the magnet sensor integrated into the Point-1 device - this is the magical solution that stops map spin.

Concerning Lowrance "puck" devices: The white "puck" that comes with a Lowrance Ghost is not a Point-1, nor will it help with map-spin on a display screen. That device is a "TMC-1" - "Trolling Motor Compass 1". It is dedicated to the Ghost and is not visible to other devices. Some have though this is a Point-1, which they then seek to configure. That's not the case, just to help some not fall into the wrong understanding.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Flippin-Out] #13854331 01/21/21 02:03 AM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

If you leave the GPS antenna setting for the bow unit alone, that unit will accurately put you back on the spot, assuming the transducer is on the trolling motor. What is needed for most bass boater instances is to utilize the magnetic sensor that comes as part of the Point-1. So many people think the magic is all about the fact that it's a GPS antenna, and that isn't true.

The most accurate location repeatability typically comes with: Bow unit uses internal GPS antenna, or at least an antenna at the bow, while console units use a GPS antenna located near the transom. ALL units should use the magnet sensor integrated into the Point-1 device - this is the magical solution that stops map spin.

Concerning Lowrance "puck" devices: The white "puck" that comes with a Lowrance Ghost is not a Point-1, nor will it help with map-spin on a display screen. That device is a "TMC-1" - "Trolling Motor Compass 1". It is dedicated to the Ghost and is not visible to other devices. Some have though this is a Point-1, which they then seek to configure. That's not the case, just to help some not fall into the wrong understanding.

So how do I get it set so I dont spin and I'll be on waypoints from the bow unit?

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854399 01/21/21 02:47 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Anthonysince94

So how do I get it set so I dont spin and I'll be on waypoints from the bow unit?

Mount the Point 1 VERY close the the bow graph.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854423 01/21/21 03:03 AM
S
SAdoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I mounted mine near the transom over the rear transducer.
Set the console unit to use the point one for heading and GPS. Set the bow unit ( If it has a trolling motor transducer) to use internal GPS and only use the Point One for heading.
Works like a charm.

Last edited by SAdoc; 01/21/21 03:04 AM.
Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13854575 01/21/21 07:02 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

Mount the Point 1 VERY close the the bow graph.

Steez, you're off base this time. The location of a Point-1 has NOTHING to do with stopping a map from spinning. Any properly mounted Point-1 on the boat can be used to stop map-spin for all displays connected to the NMEA network.

All displays should select the Point-1 as the magnetic sensor (a setting in NMEA devices) to eliminate map-spin. The Point-1 does not have to be VERY close to the bow graph. In fact, if it is, it may not work properly! (due to Electromagnetic Interference from the high frequency signals emitted by the display unit). I think Lowrance prefers them to be 2 feet away from any possible EMI source.

Any bow graph can continue to use the GPS antenna built into the unit (not the Point-1 for GPS). That display and its internal antenna are likely only 2-3 feet away from the TM head that the transducer is mounted under. That's good accuracy for returning to a waypoint and knowing you are on top of it. What about update rate? Well, yes, the Point-1 updates more frequently, but the internal antenna is still fast considering the boat is only being moved at TM speed when the bow graph is in use.

To the original question: Select magnetic sensor in the Point-1 to stop map spin, whether the Point-1 is at the bow or not. (There is no need for it to be.) If the Point-1 is not at the bow, leave the bow graph set to internal GPS antenna. If the Point-1 is at the transom, set console units to the Point-1 for both magnetic sensor AND GPS antenna.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: SAdoc] #13854577 01/21/21 07:08 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by SAdoc
I mounted mine near the transom over the rear transducer.
Set the console unit to use the point one for heading and GPS. Set the bow unit ( If it has a trolling motor transducer) to use internal GPS and only use the Point One for heading.
Works like a charm.

Exactly how the components should be used for what we do!

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854647 01/21/21 12:13 PM
A
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I found how to change the gps source but I cant find how to change the magnetic source.

Re: Lowrance point 1 [Re: Anthonysince94] #13854682 01/21/21 12:52 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I found how to change the gps source but I cant find how to change the magnetic source.

Youtube?

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide