Print Thread
Big Catfish in Raybob? #13850284 01/18/21 12:53 AM
S
Strat2277 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I know lewisville is the lake of choice for big blues. I am going to get an opportunity to have a day on the water next weekend on Lake Ray Roberts. Anyone had any luck with big cats there? Any tips on how to get on some?

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Big Catfish in Raybob? [Re: Strat2277] #13850492 01/18/21 04:01 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lewisville is absolutely not a lake of choice for big Blues. There was a time when it was one of the premier catfish or any fish lakes in Texas but those days are long gone. I’ve fished Lewisville for 40 yrs and it is a shadow of its old self. What was once rich and fertile farm and ranch land surrounding it when I was a kid is now concrete and city street run off. How many trophy catfish guides are running trips every day on Lewisville in the winter? ZERO! cuz there aren’t enough big fish to stay in business. Many have tried but they all leave for greener pasture...Lewisville Sucks!!!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Big Catfish in Raybob? [Re: Strat2277] #13850671 01/18/21 02:01 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by Strat2277
I know lewisville is the lake of choice for big blues. I am going to get an opportunity to have a day on the water next weekend on Lake Ray Roberts. Anyone had any luck with big cats there? Any tips on how to get on some?

Absolutely Ray Bob has some big blues in it. And it has huge numbers of blues in general. With it still cold, I'd try the dam area, across from Isle Du Bois. There is a good river channel, that winds around that section of the lake that's easy to find, on a depth map, and a fish finder. Blues use that channel as a highway, all year long. I've caught some respectable ones in that portion, a lot of 7 to 12 pounders, but haven't fished that lake as much as I've wanted to. I have seen some 30 plus fish pulled out of there pretty regular though. There are also good cove mouths, scattered all throughout the lake with similar setups. Jordan Park has one, just outside the boat ramp, (second big cove out of the ramp is a great jug line spot, the one with the lily pads at the very back) as well as Pecan Creek, coming out of the bridge on FM3022, into the main lake. That bridge also has a big section of submerged timber in the back (if you have a boat to navigate the mine field of stumps just below the surface) where Cormorants roost at night. It holds lots of blues, till a few hours after sun up, then, they seem to migrate out towards the main portion of the lake. Definitely use your drifting weights, there is a ton of stuff on the bottom of that lake. Old house foundations, flooded out heavy equipment, submerged logs, and trees, brush piles, and even a few thick weed beds in spots. Or, anchor up. The wind really seems to make a that lake tough to fish. Don't know why, but it seems to make a lot bigger rollers, even with only a moderate breeze. Fortunately, I have a buddy that lives five minutes from the lake, which makes it easy to stay close by, and either spend the night, and hit it early. Or, stop, if the bite slows, go rest, and have some lunch, and come back. He used to be a bass fisherman, till I started taking him and his son, live bait fishing for crappies, and catfish there. They love the relaxed type of fishing now, versus the run and gun of bass fishing.

Don't be afraid to look for them in shallower waters though, especially in the submerged timber as they will still follow the bait. And all this wind has a lot of the plankton blown up towards the shallows, and the shad will follow. Mainly have to look for the bait, then find them feeding on the bait, same as other lakes. Looking at an online depth map, will help you figure out some of the better spots, before you go. And sometimes it's easier to load up, and move boat, trailer, and truck to get from one end to the other. That lake is very long, and in a stiff breeze, it's quite a beating to run from one end to the other. Just my .02 on where I typically go for them on Ray Bob.

Last edited by z289sec; 01/18/21 02:22 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide