Forums59
Topics1,037,806
Posts13,934,776
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid #13848663 01/16/21 05:52 PM
L
Lepisosteus.carpio Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
The nearly 70-year old longnose IGFA all-tackle world record longnose gar is no longer a record, at least not for longnose.

I, along with 2 other scientists, contested the record after viewing the photograph of the fish. The fish was unequivocally a hybrid longnose x alligator gar. IGFA agreed and reclassified the fish as a hybrid.

Here is the link:
All-tackle longnose gar reclassified as longnose x alligator gar hybrid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also, note that IGFA has not moved any of the other longnose records to the all-tackle world record because we also contend that the 20-lb line class record fish is also a hybrid and probably a bogus length and weight (the fish is supposedly 69" long and weighs over 44lbs, but the photo looks like it's not even 60" and maybe 30 lbs, and also has a very broad maxilla/mandible like a hybrid). Unfortunately, the photos are poor and they are on the fence about what to do, hence are likely going to leave the all-tackle record slot open until a new fish unequivocally breaks the record. The 16-lb line class record, which is 43 lbs and caught on the Trinity in 2017, is a LEGIT longnose and I believe should be the new all-tackle and Texas state record. I'm learning that many of these old records are very sketchy, which is why they are so difficult to break (because they're bogus).

TPWD has yet to reclassify the record but undoubtedly will follow suit now that IGFA has reclassified the fish.

Go out there an catch a new all-tackle world record longnose, my friends!

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13848696 01/16/21 06:17 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Dude! Why did you screw up my record !!!

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13848722 01/16/21 06:42 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Awesome! Glad to see they're clearing up records like this, makes it fair for all the rest of us. I'm curious just how many records are in a similar situation

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Huckleberry] #13848743 01/16/21 06:55 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Side Note: Like is stated above by TXMulti-Species. Totally agree! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13848758 01/16/21 07:02 PM
F
FlyFX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
hmmm

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Huckleberry] #13849014 01/16/21 11:58 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Huckleberry

roflmao

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13849535 01/17/21 03:07 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Awesome! Glad to see they're clearing up records like this, makes it fair for all the rest of us. I'm curious just how many records are in a similar situation

Many of the Channel Catfish records are being stricken as they are reviewing and finding many are almost for sure Blue X Channel hybrids.

I know South Dakota removed their record and at least one other state and maybe more... forget what the others were. There was an article about this in the "In-FIsherman" mag about a year ago. Very interesting.

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13850175 01/17/21 11:31 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Many of the Channel Catfish records are being stricken as they are reviewing and finding many are almost for sure Blue X Channel hybrids.

I know South Dakota removed their record and at least one other state and maybe more... forget what the others were. There was an article about this in the "In-FIsherman" mag about a year ago. Very interesting.

I think that there are hundreds of records that are bogus, either via cheating (so many examples of fish that weigh way too much for their length x weight) , hybrids, or even misidentified species (channel vs blue cats, spotted vs guad bass, etc).

Hybrids present a special problem for records.. Closely related fish hybridize readily. Just think about all of the bass records confounded by hybrids. Bass should require a fin clip for DNA to definitively ID the fish, and many expect that now.. See the recent Guad record from the Colorado below Austin. No one believed it was a pure Guad until the genetics verified it. 3.71 lb guad!! I wouldn't have believed it without the genetics.

Records are kind of silly but if we're going to do it, let's do it right.

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13850383 01/18/21 02:27 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Lepisosteus.carpio
Records are kind of silly

I disagree! I love seeing the largest potential size for various fish species. Not to mention if there are water body records like we have here in Texas it can tell you the potential for each location and you know how your catches stack up. It's also motivation to get out there and explore all over Texas

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13851870 01/19/21 02:00 PM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C

I disagree! I love seeing the largest potential size for various fish species. Not to mention if there are water body records like we have here in Texas it can tell you the potential for each location and you know how your catches stack up. It's also motivation to get out there and explore all over Texas

I agree 100% Finley

SirHerbertC
Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13852193 01/19/21 05:54 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L

I obviously am the one who spent the time getting IGFA to correct a 70-year old longnose record that no one would ever beat because the fish was a cross with an alligator gar, so I think the exclamatory disagreement about my post is a bit odd. I obviously don't think records in and of themselves are silly, but rather they way they have been vetted (or lack thereof) in the past makes most of them highly questionable. I also disagree with needlessly killing fish just to get a record, which is another aspect of records that I think is not good. All is needed is a certified scale (or to get the scale certified quickly after the catch), good quality video and photographs of the fight and the fish itself, and a witness and the fish can be released. I think that's becoming a lot more common now, which is great to see.

Note that I also hold a few state catch and release and waterbody records, which I submitted mostly so that the state would have documentation of fish sizes and species from locations not previously covered. I had an IGFA alligator gar record rejected recently because my line tested at 0.05 lbs above the line class, so again I'm not in the least opposed to records, just the details I mentioned above.

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13853000 01/20/21 03:40 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
First, great job on getting the gar record corrected. I understand your comments about the record programs. When I wrote, “The Art of Fishing for Records” it put me in the middle of the record program issues. There are a variety of problems with record programs and they vary depending on the organization operating the program. Some of the rules, like you can only turn in an IGFA length record if you measure the fish on a ruler sold by the IGFA, are annoying. Others are confusing and create documentation situations. Hybrids will always be an issue (those pesky species lumpers and splitters). When you throw in dishonest anglers, then real problems can result. Still with all the flaws, documenting records has been a real source of enjoyment for me. Seeing the smile of a kid bringing you a certificate for the record fish you documented for them is worth all of the frustration of the record program.

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Osbornfishing] #13853485 01/20/21 05:17 PM
L
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
First, great job on getting the gar record corrected. I understand your comments about the record programs. When I wrote, “The Art of Fishing for Records” it put me in the middle of the record program issues. There are a variety of problems with record programs and they vary depending on the organization operating the program. Some of the rules, like you can only turn in an IGFA length record if you measure the fish on a ruler sold by the IGFA, are annoying. Others are confusing and create documentation situations. Hybrids will always be an issue (those pesky species lumpers and splitters). When you throw in dishonest anglers, then real problems can result. Still with all the flaws, documenting records has been a real source of enjoyment for me. Seeing the smile of a kid bringing you a certificate for the record fish you documented for them is worth all of the frustration of the record program.

Great post, thanks for your perspective.

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13917738 03/10/21 06:12 PM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler
The nearly 70-year old longnose IGFA all-tackle world record longnose gar is no longer a record, at least not for longnose.

I, along with 2 other scientists, contested the record after viewing the photograph of the fish. The fish was unequivocally a hybrid longnose x alligator gar. IGFA agreed and reclassified the fish as a hybrid.

Here is the link:
All-tackle longnose gar reclassified as longnose x alligator gar hybrid

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also, note that IGFA has not moved any of the other longnose records to the all-tackle world record because we also contend that the 20-lb line class record fish is also a hybrid and probably a bogus length and weight (the fish is supposedly 69" long and weighs over 44lbs, but the photo looks like it's not even 60" and maybe 30 lbs, and also has a very broad maxilla/mandible like a hybrid). Unfortunately, the photos are poor and they are on the fence about what to do, hence are likely going to leave the all-tackle record slot open until a new fish unequivocally breaks the record. The 16-lb line class record, which is 43 lbs and caught on the Trinity in 2017, is a LEGIT longnose and I believe should be the new all-tackle and Texas state record. I'm learning that many of these old records are very sketchy, which is why they are so difficult to break (because they're bogus).

TPWD has yet to reclassify the record but undoubtedly will follow suit now that IGFA has reclassified the fish.

Go out there an catch a new all-tackle world record longnose, my friends!

Judging from the photo, the fish is definitely not a longnose gar, but what were all the features you used to determine it was "unequivocally" a hybrid and not an alligator gar?

Re: IGFA all-tackle & TX state record longnose reclassified as hybrid [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13917774 03/10/21 06:33 PM
786 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

I think that there are hundreds of records that are bogus, either via cheating (so many examples of fish that weigh way too much for their length x weight) , hybrids, or even misidentified species (channel vs blue cats, spotted vs guad bass, etc).

Hybrids present a special problem for records.. Closely related fish hybridize readily. Just think about all of the bass records confounded by hybrids. Bass should require a fin clip for DNA to definitively ID the fish, and many expect that now.. See the recent Guad record from the Colorado below Austin. No one believed it was a pure Guad until the genetics verified it. 3.71 lb guad!! I wouldn't have believed it without the genetics.

Records are kind of silly but if we're going to do it, let's do it right.

The genetics confirmed it, but from the picture, it looks morphologically like a big Guad and doesn't seem to have any obvious characteristics of a hybrid. Just wondering why "No one believed it was a pure Guad" until the genetics was done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide