Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13840378 01/10/21 02:54 PM
C
Coolarrow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I used to fish lake Houston all the time back in the 90’s. bring the boat to work and fish in the afternoons. There were a few good spots I have found back then that I could catch some pretty good fish. Even a 4 to 6 lber would show up every once in a while. Sad to here that it gone down hill. I also read that the Trinity river has a inlet canal going over to lake Houston now. Water for the city.. wonder how that will effect it over time. If they let it silt in its no good for anyone.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Houston [Re: Kisndismis] #13840592 01/10/21 05:02 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Kisndismis
16 teams yesterday, no limits, 8 something won it, bunches of blanks. Water color terrible still from what I saw. BB was like 25 the best weights will come in next two tourneys. I am looking for a partner again to do them, solo is too tough, I ll just quit after a few hours!!!

The years that we fish we always skipped the January tournament. Absolute nightmare of a month for Houston.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #13840840 01/10/21 07:57 PM
skeeterfan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Thanks, DK
I live in DFW and complain about Lake Lewisville. BUT, you reminded me of when I lived in the Houston area for 15 years, I refused to put my boat in Lake Houston. I will never complain about Lewisville or Ray Roberts again!!!

Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #13840861 01/10/21 08:17 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
16 teams yesterday, no limits, 8 something won it, bunches of blanks. Water color terrible still from what I saw. BB was like 25 the best weights will come in next two tourneys. I am looking for a partner again to do them, solo is too tough, I ll just quit after a few hours!!!

The years that we fish we always skipped the January tournament. Absolute nightmare of a month for Houston.

JMO - why would you ever have a tournament on Lake Houston?

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13840871 01/10/21 08:27 PM
G
Grant2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
G
I have fished this lake for years and the fishing in January is horrible at times. I agree with most fishing South is pointless limited areas that produce.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: Rayzor] #13840961 01/10/21 09:42 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Rayzor

Uuummm because I love fishing houston. *WARNING* MOST UNPOPULAR OPINION EVER. I love Houston. I'm a river rat. I love dirty water, wood and docks. I spend more time there and the Trinity river than I do on any body of water. I can fish 3 trips on $20 in boat gas and 99% time catch plenty to keep me happy.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #13841030 01/10/21 11:10 PM
U
undercover Offline
Angler
Angler
U
Originally Posted by Rayzor

Uuummm because I love fishing houston. *WARNING* MOST UNPOPULAR OPINION EVER. I love Houston. I'm a river rat. I love dirty water, wood and docks. I spend more time there and the Trinity river than I do on any body of water. I can fish 3 trips on $20 in boat gas and 99% time catch plenty to keep me happy.

+1 on catch plenty. Except in January especially when its super muddy

A weed don't thump it: Set the hook!!
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13841187 01/11/21 01:09 AM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
A lot of guys go to Fayette and Rayburn and think they have really learned how to bass fish. Then they go to Houston and can't catch anything. It's one thing to be able to catch bass on an easy lake. It's another to be able to catch bass consistently on tough lakes. Moving to the Lake Houston area definitely made me a more versatile fisherman.
'

Re: Lake Houston [Re: RKT] #13841788 01/11/21 04:20 PM
D
dk2429 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by RKT
A lot of guys go to Fayette and Rayburn and think they have really learned how to bass fish. Then they go to Houston and can't catch anything. It's one thing to be able to catch bass on an easy lake. It's another to be able to catch bass consistently on tough lakes. Moving to the Lake Houston area definitely made me a more versatile fisherman.
'

So basically me.... LMAO

I can fish all the known lakes pretty easily and have good results. Lake Houston and Sheldon though have stumped me. And by the way, I have fish two tournaments on Houston, both out of Ponderosa Marina. The winning bags were never anything special. Granted, the first one I fished was a few years ago and the high was like 26 in the middle of January. The absolute most miserable tournament I've been apart of. Knocking ice off the boat and everything

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13841900 01/11/21 05:23 PM
GeoFisher Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I have been fishing that old lake since I was 10 years old and I am 51 now. Truly a shame what has happened to it in the past 3-4 years. There was a 3 year period from about 2014-2016 when that lake was as good as it ever was because of the low water back in 2011. The 2-3 years that came after the drought were all good spawn years for the lake with all the cover. If RKT says it is tough, believe me, it's tough. He has more hours on that lake than anyone I ever known. The couples circuit my wife and I fish wont even go there anymore. It was always "frowned upon" by many of the couples we fish with, but I always looked forward to it because I had so much history on the lake and could always scratch out a limit of fish by hopping around and finding something that works that day. The wife really enjoyed it as some of her best days ever have come on that old lake throwing the same old spinnerbait year in and year out.

Hopefully, something happens and it cycles back again because it truly is a gem when it's right. It's never going to be a destination lake, but it sure is convenient and fun when it is in good condition. I miss it already.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Lake Houston [Re: GeoFisher] #13842024 01/11/21 06:45 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by GeoFisher
I have been fishing that old lake since I was 10 years old and I am 51 now. Truly a shame what has happened to it in the past 3-4 years. There was a 3 year period from about 2014-2016 when that lake was as good as it ever was because of the low water back in 2011. The 2-3 years that came after the drought were all good spawn years for the lake with all the cover. If RKT says it is tough, believe me, it's tough. He has more hours on that lake than anyone I ever known. The couples circuit my wife and I fish wont even go there anymore. It was always "frowned upon" by many of the couples we fish with, but I always looked forward to it because I had so much history on the lake and could always scratch out a limit of fish by hopping around and finding something that works that day. The wife really enjoyed it as some of her best days ever have come on that old lake throwing the same old spinnerbait year in and year out.

Hopefully, something happens and it cycles back again because it truly is a gem when it's right. It's never going to be a destination lake, but it sure is convenient and fun when it is in good condition. I miss it already.

That's the truth. Our best day on Houston was back in 2011 in July. Just a hair under 25 pounds on 5. Big fish was a 7.5 buddy caught.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #13842085 01/11/21 07:27 PM
GeoFisher Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I never had one of those days Chance. Those type days are blessings indeed. More than anything, I think we all are gonna simply miss the days of being able to take off work around noon on any given weekday and easing over to the Marina and enjoying a that 4-5 hours of being able to hop around the lake (That's not even easy anymore with the siltation) and find a quick little pattern. Rare was the time I would get 'skunked". The old lake always had a surprise or two and it was not always in places I had found em before. Anytime I went to Houston, I always made it a point to try and fish something or some stretch of water I had never fished before, even if it was just a bare shoreline and no more than 10-15 min. After 40 years, that gets hard to do, but I always tried, even if it was fishing with something unusual for Houston, like a trap, a jerkbait, or even a drop shot in the bayou from time to time (not baits you typically see thrown on Houston) It was almost like my own little "lab" for trying new stuff and patterning fish.

My eyes were opened to the "South" end here recently. Before last year, I may have been below the tressels maybe once or twice in my life, but I now know there are fish down there that can be caught given the right conditions.

Doing things like that over the past 20-30 years made me a better bass fisherman because doing that type stuff is not easy to do on lakes like Rayburn, TB, or even Liv for that matter. On Houston, you are rarely more than a 5 min run to the next "spot". I may crank up and move 15-20 times during 5-6 hours on Houston. You do that on any of the big lakes and you'll burn a tank of gas and probably get your brains beat in from rough water. It'll come back again. Mother Nature always figures out a way.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13844143 01/13/21 01:24 AM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by RKT
'

So basically me.... LMAO

I can fish all the known lakes pretty easily and have good results. Lake Houston and Sheldon though have stumped me. And by the way, I have fish two tournaments on Houston, both out of Ponderosa Marina. The winning bags were never anything special. Granted, the first one I fished was a few years ago and the high was like 26 in the middle of January. The absolute most miserable tournament I've been apart of. Knocking ice off the boat and everything

The winning bags are never anything special. A 15 pound stringer is a good stringer anytime of the year. The one thing about Houston and Livingston is sometimes the fish bite the best in the summer months. Also, the best bite is often in the 12:00pm to 3pm time frame. It's very different from most lakes. Livingston has some similar traits.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13844369 01/13/21 05:04 AM
K
KingChamp202 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Just moved to Kingwood, I was looking fwd to fishing this lake. Do yall have any good info for spring time fishing, or is it always bad?

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13844410 01/13/21 07:25 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Houston needs to be dredged....again and again.....and over and over! With the silting in it it receives now it needs the same maintenance all the ship channels require around Houston need continually! Not going to happen...until more floods!

Last edited by 361V; 01/13/21 07:29 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide