Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834372 01/06/21 05:50 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Dean - nice fish. What kind of boat were you running? That doesn't look like the Ranger.

I agree with you guys. The south end is a wasted area as far as fishing. You need to stay up the rivers or the bayou's to compete out there.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Houston [Re: fivebites] #13834417 01/06/21 06:21 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by fivebites
Originally Posted by dk2429
Originally Posted by fivebites
I drove down to test drive a boat there yesterday and yep it was chocolate milk. Don't know how it fishes but that was some DIRTY water. Started the test drive by towing in a fish n ski. Fortunately he was pretty close to the Duessen ramp.

Ha! How funny, pretty sure I saw you there in that bass boat. Probably around 4:30-5pm ish...?

Yeah that dude in that yellow fish and ski was having problems when I put in at the ramp. Don’t know if you recall seeing a grey 22’ center console with a yellow lab in the truck bed but that was me! I was pulling out when you were getting stuff ready

Yep, saw you dk! And bought the boat! And the first thing we did on the test drive was tow those two yahoos in! LOL!

Awesome, congrats man!!! Beautiful boat! When we were pulling out I asked my buddy that grabbed the truck "man you see that bass boat in the parking lot, SWEET ride!" Great buy

Yup, those yahoos had the hood up on that junker sitting at the ramp with the boat beating on the concrete. I saw them out there running around on my way back down to Duessen. Doesn't suprised that had to get towed in.

I'm gonna guess you won't be making the return to fish Houston roflmao

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Lake Houston [Re: ChanceHuiet] #13834424 01/06/21 06:24 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
Dang DK I haven’t been able to get into that creek in a few years. It used to be one of the best ones south of 1960

Chance that seems to be about the only creek worth fishing south of the bridge.. There's only a handful and they're all muddy and shallow.

I was reading 1.2ft at the mouth of the creek I circled. Pretty grown in too. I got through no problem though.... 22' Majek

I don't know, when duck season is over I'm gonna try and spend some time at Houston and see if I can figure something out. Hard to beat it being 30 mins from Pearland! I'm also trying to learn Sheldon, haven't exactly figured it out either.. Never spent any time on these two lakes

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834461 01/06/21 06:45 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Dang DK I haven’t been able to get into that creek in a few years. It used to be one of the best ones south of 1960

Chance that seems to be about the only creek worth fishing south of the bridge.. There's only a handful and they're all muddy and shallow.

I was reading 1.2ft at the mouth of the creek I circled. Pretty grown in too. I got through no problem though.... 22' Majek

I don't know, when duck season is over I'm gonna try and spend some time at Houston and see if I can figure something out. Hard to beat it being 30 mins from Pearland! I'm also trying to learn Sheldon, haven't exactly figured it out either.. Never spent any time on these two lakes

Back in the 90’s we used to have to run on plain and trim up last minute to get in there. Then to get out we would get all the way to the back and hall butt to do the same getting out. Caught fish but eventually hyacinths closed it off then sediment and then they started building houses so I haven’t went back.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834515 01/06/21 07:07 PM
gillom Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There is a pattern I've fished down south in the summer. Very easy to figure out once you catch it right. Never caught anything huge but had a 35 bass day. Also found a few brushpiles up the river that held multiple fish. Crankbait, buzzbait, and flipping stick. All you need.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834537 01/06/21 07:35 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

But again, this all leads back the original question.. Why can't us Houston folks have a half [censored] decent lake to fish that is close to home.. Duessen Park really is a super nice park/ramp.. Just a [censored] of a lake to go with it.
OK, at least you have the entire ocean! JK.....sort of!

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834686 01/06/21 08:51 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
To answer the original question - The reason we cannot have a decent lake to fish close to Houston is because TPWD and the San Jacinto River Authority keep putting Asian carp into Lake Conroe. They are now putting 500 more in since one small pad of grass showed up in Caney Creek.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: 361V] #13834828 01/06/21 10:12 PM
D
dk2429 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by 361V

But again, this all leads back the original question.. Why can't us Houston folks have a half [censored] decent lake to fish that is close to home.. Duessen Park really is a super nice park/ramp.. Just a [censored] of a lake to go with it.

Well, I much prefer bass fishing so I’m jealous of the Dallas folks LMAO

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13834890 01/06/21 10:41 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

As said: “JK”. I get it! Definitely way more FRESH WATER options in North Texas than the mud holes around Houston. I have lots of family in Katy/Houston. When I drove out of Houston to go bass fishing I consider Fayette County or even Houston County as the closest decent bass lakes. You could live 5 minutes from Squaw Creek like me and drive past that corporate fishing hole daily without being allowed in! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️😡

Re: Lake Houston [Re: RKT] #13834981 01/06/21 11:38 PM
Dean Coleman Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by RKT
Dean - nice fish. What kind of boat were you running? That doesn't look like the Ranger..

Was in my Ranger Bay...needed to run it...it sits around too much during winter.

Last edited by Dean Coleman; 01/06/21 11:38 PM.

Dean Coleman
Humble Texas

Re: Lake Houston [Re: TxBazzn] #13835013 01/07/21 12:02 AM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by TxBazzn

Back in the 90’s we used to have to run on plain and trim up last minute to get in there. Then to get out we would get all the way to the back and hall butt to do the same getting out. Caught fish but eventually hyacinths closed it off then sediment and then they started building houses so I haven’t went back.

Yep we had to always blast in and out also. DK I used to fish Sheldon on average 4 days a week. Haven't been in few years though. Send me a pm.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13835139 01/07/21 01:19 AM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Funny to see this come up, its been muddy as hell for weeks now. I launch at River Grove ( Kingwood) and Dunham Rd ( E Fork) . Water temps perfect for annual white bass run but man its just muddy as heck all over. Nice gullywasher mid week is what has been happening for weeks now, all but ruining the weekend fishing. I tried Sat in W Fork and ran up into a place that normally is fishable even when its running and even it was muddy. It was brought up about the Terrenos and I went back up in that place a few weeks ago as I have customer that want to set up over there. It looks like surface of the moon. Anyone will tell you remove all the vegetation and it will run off nothing but mud and sand. I also pass over 59 right past Cleveland daily and there is no silt fence and it is a big contributing factor to the poor water quality. Nothing worth fishing S of 1960 in my opinion either. Its my home lake and I am not that mad a them anymore, but I visit Sheldon from time to time when I get mad at them. You have a chance at an 8lber in there any day, Houston, more like in 2 lifetimes youll catch one over 6. LHAC has a tourney this weekend. I am thinking 12-13 to win it, 10 to get your money back.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Lake Houston [Re: 361V] #13835428 01/07/21 05:05 AM
D
dk2429 Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D

As said: “JK”. I get it! Definitely way more FRESH WATER options in North Texas than the mud holes around Houston. I have lots of family in Katy/Houston. When I drove out of Houston to go bass fishing I consider Fayette County or even Houston County as the closest decent bass lakes. You could live 5 minutes from Squaw Creek like me and drive past that corporate fishing hole daily without being allowed in! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️😡

Houston County is my fishing puddle!

I just wish Houston was a good solid consistent lake to fish.. it must be nice up there getting to be at whatever lake you want within 25-30mins.. it must be a lot better than having to drive 2hrs at 4am to go to a decent hole of water to fish

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13835997 01/07/21 05:06 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
It's sad that things have been allowed to happen upstream of the lake that have really damaged the lake. As a result of the sandpits, HWY 99, removal of cover, and the neighborhoods being built in Liberty County by the Harris family, the lake is silted in much worse and stays muddy. The lake showed that it has the potential to be a good fishery for bass, catfish, and crappie when there is cover in the lake. After the drought the fishing was really good with all the flooded bushes and areas of vegetation. There were some 20 lb stringers being weighed in the Tuesday night tournaments in just two hours of daylight fishing. Unfortunately, fishing qualities are of no concern to the governing bodies. However, water quality does matter. The city needs the water quality to be better for the new pumps to stay clean at the new pump stations. Maybe they will do something to improve water quality to help the treatment plants. If they do it could help those who fish the lake.

Re: Lake Houston [Re: dk2429] #13840292 01/10/21 01:52 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
16 teams yesterday, no limits, 8 something won it, bunches of blanks. Water color terrible still from what I saw. BB was like 25 the best weights will come in next two tourneys. I am looking for a partner again to do them, solo is too tough, I ll just quit after a few hours!!!

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide