Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Grass spraying [Re: tailboard] #13819495 12/25/20 04:57 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I think because Rayburn is so big and catches a lot of water, there’s good flowing water most of the time and it dilutes the herbicide to a point where it doesn’t wipe everything out.

[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Grass spraying [Re: CCTX] #13819570 12/25/20 06:33 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by CCTX
I think because Rayburn is so big and catches a lot of water, there’s good flowing water most of the time and it dilutes the herbicide to a point where it doesn’t wipe everything out.

The herbicide used is sprayed directly on the salvinia. Not much collateral damage

Re: Grass spraying [Re: tailboard] #13819644 12/25/20 08:30 PM
T
tmcdet Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have alway thought TPW should use Rayburn as an example of how to treat lakes for vegetation. I also wonder how the fact that there are no home owners with docks etc plays into the mix.

Re: Grass spraying [Re: tmcdet] #13819648 12/25/20 08:44 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
[quote=tmcdet]I have alway thought TPW should use Rayburn as an example of how to treat lakes for vegetation. I also wonder how the fact that there are no home owners with docks etc plays into the mix.[/quote

Shouldn't be something you have to wonder about..... Tyler, Cypress, Conroe are just a few lakes where land owner pressure was related to spraying.

Re: Grass spraying [Re: tmcdet] #13819659 12/25/20 09:08 PM
F
fishnfireman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by tmcdet

What do you think is the big difference in Rayburn? There always seems to be hydrilla there. I always thought it was because of the fluctuation of the water level, it always felt there was a big drawn down ever 5-6 years ago that would kill the shallower hydrilla but the deeper stuff would survive. The draw down would also allow for new growth in the shallower areas.

Over the years It's been amazing to watch the growth of hydrilla at Amistad. The rate of growth and it's ability to reseed with the ever changing water levels was phenomenal.. Until 2012-2013 when they dropped the lake over 60ft in a few months to a record low. They pulled the water so fast the hydrilla was unable to keep pace and it all but disappeared for several years. IMO a lot of forage especially the crawfish stayed in the huge piles of hydrilla that was soon dried out and yards away from the water.
If Rayburn ever looses ALL or a majority of the vegetation like Amistad, it will suffer the same struggles, maybe worse because of it's location.

Re: Grass spraying [Re: senko9S] #13820962 12/27/20 02:49 PM
R
RayBob Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
R
Originally Posted by senko9S
the lakes were built for municipal water, nothing more. i feel lucky for what TPWD has done for Texas bass fishing compared to other states. texas

Neither Rayburn nor Toledo fit this description. Power generation, flood control probably best fits their purpose description but no major municipalities draw from either. Indirectly one could say that Rayburn can affect LNVA water acquisition but it's not the end-all of that entity.

Having said that it seems that vegetation on Rayburn falls victim to HIGHLY fluctuating water levels. It'll be 6-8' low one summer then 8' high the next spring. Those 15' fluctuations prevent the massive hydrilla fields of the 1990's and thusly affects overall fish populations. I'd think this could be in concert with COE who have direct control, with TP&W blessings. It's pretty damn cost effective. Sure there's still bass and in those springs with high water levels recruitment is good for that year class but what about the massive numbers of invertebrates that thrive in the hydrilla fields? It's been said that fish populations need water quality, cover, and prey to thrive and the hydrilla gives it all in abundance.

And one other thing, don't give me that bull about "invasive" species. Let's amend it to say " destructive invasive species". Invasives are everywhere. In the air starlings and English sparrows. Then what about bahia grass that makes up over 50% of the pastureland in East Texas? I don't see the state spraying pastures. In fact I see the state planting non-native plants along roadways (pampas grasses). Hydrilla is not destructive to habitat. It almost seems like a war on good fishing.

As my GP used to say: "Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining". It pisses me off all the TP&W apologists.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Grass spraying [Re: RayBob] #13820998 12/27/20 03:29 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by RayBob
Originally Posted by senko9S
the lakes were built for municipal water, nothing more. i feel lucky for what TPWD has done for Texas bass fishing compared to other states. texas

Neither Rayburn nor Toledo fit this description. Power generation, flood control probably best fits their purpose description but no major municipalities draw from either. Indirectly one could say that Rayburn can affect LNVA water acquisition but it's not the end-all of that entity.

Having said that it seems that vegetation on Rayburn falls victim to HIGHLY fluctuating water levels. It'll be 6-8' low one summer then 8' high the next spring. Those 15' fluctuations prevent the massive hydrilla fields of the 1990's and thusly affects overall fish populations. I'd think this could be in concert with COE who have direct control, with TP&W blessings. It's pretty damn cost effective. Sure there's still bass and in those springs with high water levels recruitment is good for that year class but what about the massive numbers of invertebrates that thrive in the hydrilla fields? It's been said that fish populations need water quality, cover, and prey to thrive and the hydrilla gives it all in abundance.

And one other thing, don't give me that bull about "invasive" species. Let's amend it to say " destructive invasive species". Invasives are everywhere. In the air starlings and English sparrows. Then what about bahia grass that makes up over 50% of the pastureland in East Texas? I don't see the state spraying pastures. In fact I see the state planting non-native plants along roadways (pampas grasses). Hydrilla is not destructive to habitat. It almost seems like a war on good fishing.

As my GP used to say: "Don't pee down my back and tell me it's raining". It pisses me off all the TP&W apologists.

agree.....describing hydrilla as invasive and spraying it is nothing more than an flimsy excuse to repay chemical companies for their campaign contgributions and scholarships/grants they use to influence biologists/legislators....

Re: Grass spraying [Re: tailboard] #13821083 12/27/20 04:46 PM
B
big mike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Is there a way to get hydrilla off the invasive species list?

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide