Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13757919 11/05/20 05:13 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by redchevy
When buying tires i always do the same thing. I find the size and load range i want and start shopping. I look at walmart, discount tire, costco, sams, sears, and an online vendor or two. It doesnt take much time at all. Pick the cheapest name brand tire that meets my needs and is in an acceptable tread pattern. So far i have had goodyear, uniroyal, BFG, cooper, bridgestone, continental, firestone and probably a few i cant remember and never had a bad one. I have used a few off brand tires and that is why i now limit my search to name brand tires.

My most recent set are Cooper A/T LT265 70 R17 E-range. Stock size.

I paid $544 out the door including mounting and balancing and disposal of my old tires, that comes down to $136 a tire. I have over 20,000 miles on them and they have been as good as any other tire i have had.

Lets get real with ourselves here, if this is your daily driver chances are slim to none that the tread pattern will even make a difference and unless your a hard core off roader most would be better served by a set of michilins than AT's. Thats reality i know everyone will argue it though.

Also i got 70,000 miles of use out of the P-rated factory tires. They still had more tread to go, but i found these on sale and didnt want to pass the deal. I drive it to our south texas ranch, i haul feed and trailers with it, had over 3000 lbs in the bed of a 1/2 ton even on the P-rated tires and other than a flat here and there they held up fine. People make mountains out of mole hills with tires. A nail is a nail and will flatten just about any tire. Match the tire to what your using it for, dont drive over stupid stuff and have at it. I will say even with the 10-ply coopers, i have driven over some pretty stupid stuff and zero flats, but when/if i get one i will know its my fault.

I totally understand and agree about the “need” for all terrain tires. I drive my truck about 95% on highway. But, it IS a 4x4 Off Road addition with Fox remote reservoir shocks and heavier spring rates. It wouldn’t look too good with highway radials.

Thats very bold of you to openly admit to driving a pavement queen/mall crawler etc.

Most people wont do that.

Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: redchevy] #13758805 11/06/20 02:21 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
When buying tires i always do the same thing. I find the size and load range i want and start shopping. I look at walmart, discount tire, costco, sams, sears, and an online vendor or two. It doesnt take much time at all. Pick the cheapest name brand tire that meets my needs and is in an acceptable tread pattern. So far i have had goodyear, uniroyal, BFG, cooper, bridgestone, continental, firestone and probably a few i cant remember and never had a bad one. I have used a few off brand tires and that is why i now limit my search to name brand tires.

I paid $544 out the door including mounting and balancing and disposal of my old tires, that comes down to $136 a tire. I have over 20,000 miles on them and they have been as good as any other tire i have had.

Lets get real with ourselves here, if this is your daily driver chances are slim to none that the tread pattern will even make a difference and unless your a hard core off roader most would be better served by a set of michilins than AT's. Thats reality i know everyone will argue it though.

Also i got 70,000 miles of use out of the P-rated factory tires. They still had more tread to go, but i found these on sale and didnt want to pass the deal. I drive it to our south texas ranch, i haul feed and trailers with it, had over 3000 lbs in the bed of a 1/2 ton even on the P-rated tires and other than a flat here and there they held up fine. People make mountains out of mole hills with tires. A nail is a nail and will flatten just about any tire. Match the tire to what your using it for, dont drive over stupid stuff and have at it. I will say even with the 10-ply coopers, i have driven over some pretty stupid stuff and zero flats, but when/if i get one i will know its my fault.

I totally understand and agree about the “need” for all terrain tires. I drive my truck about 95% on highway. But, it IS a 4x4 Off Road addition with Fox remote reservoir shocks and heavier spring rates. It wouldn’t look too good with highway radials.

Thats very bold of you to openly admit to driving a pavement queen/mall crawler etc.

Yeh. I actually wasn’t looking for that particular model. But, I’m friends with Freeman’s internet manager and he hooked me up. I wanted a basic 4wd with the 5.7 motor. I also wanted nav and power stuff. He found me this one with a supercharged 5.7, TRD Pro package, and Black. I paid about the same as a regular SR5 4wd and they gave me way more on my Jeep as trade. The Jeep was off road used a lot. My family has a place in Pagosa that is surrounded by some of the best off road trails in the country. I thought I MIGHT use the truck off road occasionally, but I really only tow the boat with it.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13758830 11/06/20 02:37 AM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S

Yeh. I actually wasn’t looking for that particular model. But, I’m friends with Freeman’s internet manager and he hooked me up. I wanted a basic 4wd with the 5.7 motor. I also wanted nav and power stuff. He found me this one with a supercharged 5.7, TRD Pro package, and Black. I paid about the same as a regular SR5 4wd and they gave me way more on my Jeep as trade. The Jeep was off road used a lot. My family has a place in Pagosa that is surrounded by some of the best off road trails in the country. I thought I MIGHT use the truck off road occasionally, but I really only tow the boat with it.

Supercharged TRD Pro. A.K.A - Raptor Killer

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: clinton_c] #13805211 12/14/20 05:54 AM
M
Monty Wright Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
M
I'm a big fan of the Toyo AT's. The last Tundra (Crew Max, TRD) I had, I bought new. I got ~60k out of the factory. Talked to the guy and told him I'm on a lot of lease roads across South Texas with a lot of highway miles in between. Don't need an aggressive tire, just need something that will hold up. He recommended the Toyo AT's (I believe they were the AT II) and said they come with a 75k guarantee. I laughed and told him we'll see. I rotate my tires each oil change. I finally replaced them at 145k. Approximately 85k miles on them. That's a combination of STX caliche lease roads and a lot of highway miles running between rigs. At 145k, I replaced them with the same exact tire. That truck had 210k on it when I traded it in. That last set of tires had less than 100 miles on gravel, all highway as I changed jobs right about the same time. So to summarize, I I put 2 sets of tire on a pickup in 150k miles. I miss that truck at times.

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: hopalong] #13806040 12/14/20 09:58 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by River Man
What size tires did you buy? Only asking because I'm considering putting AT's on my truck and most are more than $800...

I am going in this morning for a set of falkens, 285/75/18 (33x11.50) 1145.00 out the door. local shop in paris.

had nitto, now have cooper in the same size and both were about 300.00 more. tread on all is very similar.

check wal mart online, they may or may not put them on but you can catch some good deals and have another shop install, did that with the nittos.

Are you going with the WildPeak AT3W's? hmmm

yes, 100 mi. on them already and I am likin them
[Linked Image]

update for ya dozer, almost 7k on them now and they look new still, ride is excellent for an a/t. excellent on wet roads and they even got me out of some bad mud last week. these are keepers I think.

Last edited by hopalong; 12/14/20 09:59 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: clinton_c] #13806465 12/15/20 03:25 AM
P
Piscivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Is that a 285/75/18 or a 285/75/16? A 285/75/18 is almost a 35" tire.

Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: Piscivore] #13806684 12/15/20 12:45 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Piscivore
Is that a 285/75/18 or a 285/75/16? A 285/75/18 is almost a 35" tire.

it's an 18 on a 9" rim, they spec at 34.5 but when mounted and measured they are only 33".
programmed my tuner with 35 then 34 and finally went and measured them so I could get the speedo right.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: clinton_c] #13806931 12/15/20 03:08 PM
P
Piscivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
The spec is actually 34.8 on an 8" rim. I'm surprised they measure out so small. What pressure are you running? I'm planning to mount this tire on my next truck.

Re: TOYO Open Country ATIII [Re: clinton_c] #13807493 12/15/20 09:05 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
I run 40 psi, I tow a lot of side by sides and other stuff along with a 20' bass boat.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide