texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 120,999
TexDawg 119,782
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,322
Mark Perry 72,484
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,873
Posts13,954,534
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: Tin Star Cajun] #13770192 11/14/20 03:00 PM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
I've both bank and now boat fish. It doesn't take more than 20 seconds to pull in your line so the boat can pass. When I'm in a boat I will take a wide berth so as not to disturb a bank fisherman and I'll say hello. If there is no way to avoid going over someone's line and the area is big enough for all to fish, I'll ask for them to move their line for a minute. Never had any problem. Every now and then I've even asked them if they want to join me on the boat to fish.

I think along these lines. If I have a boat I really try to avoid going anywhere near bank fishermen/women. I can access the whole lake and take advantage of that. If for some reason I can’t for example I am going into a cove to catch bait and there are people fishing (in a boat or on shore) I slow down, let them know what I am doing, and ask where their lines are. It’s just common courtesy. I have also invited people fishing at the boat launch to join me as well. I prefer good karma over bad karma!

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #13798547 12/08/20 05:34 PM
G
gigum Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
I've been on both sides and yes it's frustrating but It's a public water body and unfortunately everyone has to share. I try to stay away from bank fishermen when I go, but sometimes you can't help it if there are other boats around or in a tight channel. I've also been going down a main channel and pulled off the main channel and idled down the side (I had to take a phone call), still at least 100 yards from the bank, and had bank fishermen screaming at me because I was messing up their fishing. I was no where near them but quite frankly if someone isn't catching fish they've gotta find someone to blame. On the flip side when I'm bank fishing I try not to get too pissed off when boats pass by. At the end of the day there is nothing you can do to change it and no need for something like that to cause stress and ruin your day off.

Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #13799263 12/09/20 02:47 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
That’s why I fish creeks that boats have no access and all to myself.

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #13862033 01/26/21 05:42 PM
S
Strat2277 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
People are people. There are those who think 500 yards isnt enough space between fisherman and those who dont mind putting their bait on top of yours or cutting your line with their outboard. All one can do is be respectful and hope they will do the same.

"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." - Steven Wright
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #13864134 01/28/21 03:08 AM
L
lou_a Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience in this situation.
Fished the creek mouths of 2 marinas in little Peconic Bay on Long island as a youngster. Lot's of boat traffic in and out, and creeks were 30 to 50 yards across. No choice but to reel in as boats entered and left the creeks. Not that difficult as usually fished 1 rod and held the rod the entire time fishing (even when bottom fishing).

Here on Lake Lavon had a few incidents over the last 20 years. Not that often, but still happens too often. Usually bottom fish multiple rods in open water, and try to make myself very visible to watercraft that happen to pass by. Does not always help though. I put my rods at a slight angle forward and the rods are tall so my line is 8 or 9' above the bank at my rod tip.

I have 10 to 12' surf rods and cast out a good ways looking for catfish. When fishing deeper water (usually in colder months), I don't fret about passers by, as my line is usually very safe as long as the water craft pass by 30 yds or so from the bank. It's happened hundreds of times and no big deal.

Bank fishing shallow flats can be an issue even when boats pass a good ways out.

Lemme recap past incidents-
One memorial day, I was fishing deeper water that I had to hike to, when a PWC/Jet ski with a guy and a gal slowly cruised by about 10 yards off the bank, oblivious to my tall surf rods and 6'2" self gesticulating to get their attention. They got caught up/tangled up in one of my lines, and then were trying to de-tangle themselves. They were having difficulty untangling, so I told them to cut it. After they extricated themselves, he told me nicely that I should fish with my rods horizontal, and I told him nicely that he should be cruising a little farther out from the bank. Things got a little heated at that point, but, luckily nothing happened.

The heat of summer can be tricky. Had a decent night going with my son-
https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/9282032#Post9282032
Bank fishing a shallow flat on dark windy night, and we had caught some decent ones. We had about 7 rods total out, and I had clip on lights attached to all, along with our headlamps that we periodically turned on and off, so I was visible from a good distance. I had waded out about 40 yards, and tossed another 80, so my lines were a good way out. Lake super low at the time, and water was even shallower than usual. A boat was out there fishing a tree line about 200yds out, so no problem (or so I thought). After catching the best fish of the night and whooping and hollering a little, the boat left the tree line and decided to slowly cruise out in front of where I was fishing, and got caught up in several of my lines. One or 2 lines did not get caught up in his boat real well and dropped off, and the rest I just adjusted my drag super loose and let the boat spool me. Did he know I was there and saw/heard we were catching so decided to buzz by? Or was it merely coincidental. I'll never know but I think its hard to miss 7 rods with clip on LED lights and 2 fellas turning headlamps on and off.

Got a daughter, son in law, and grand kids living in Tennessee. Wanted to visit them and try fishing a little while there. Google map'd out an enticing looking spot, so headed out by my lonesome early one evening. Spot looked interesting, on a little point and I was atop a 5 ft cliff, and cast out a good ways. Bad weather hit about sunset/dusk, and a PWC/jet ski whipped by at high speed so close to the cliff i was atop, HE WENT UNDER all my lines. Past under them without incident and without a scratch and probably never knew how close to 50 & 60 Lb braid and grievous injury he came. I knew though and was distraught and flustered, so just packed up and left.

Twice I've had boats "park" and fish in spots where I am bank fishing, where I can no longer cast some of my rods out for fear of hitting them. They have the whole lake but have to pull up and fish where I have made the effort to hike out to with all my gear and bait. The others I write off as obliviots, but this particular kind are jerks.

I've had a boat full of folks troll over my lines and think they caught moby dick when I decided to give 'em a cheap thrill by doing a hookset on my surf rod. But don't believe they did it intentionally, just oblivious to the world around them.

and I would never chuck lead at anyone. That's just stupid...

Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #13864555 01/28/21 03:19 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Idiots are going to mess with you, and stupid people are oblivious!.......Seems to be plenty of these out there which is sad.

Just one more cast!

Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #14210321 12/03/21 02:34 PM
817.TX Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
So apparently I was the bad fisher man when a BASSHOLE on his glitter trophy was casting and snagged my line. Said it was my fault he couldnt see where my line was. SMH but you seen me sitting there on the bank with fishing poles with lines out?

Why even get close enough for this to potentially happen when you have the entire rest of the lake to fish?

He then called me a douche and an A-Hole!! I LOL at him. Some peoples kids!! Tight lines all!! bang cool

HEAD HIGH, RIDE LOW!!

CHASING RIVER AND LAKE MONSTERS!!
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #14213066 12/06/21 05:08 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
Sadly, the rule is that there is no rule, but then again, common sense and courtesy should allow that rules are not necessary.

My best buddy is an ER doctor, and he loves, LOVES his water skiing/wakeboard boat.

He does not care one bit about fisherman in bass boats near a bank, or the fisherman fishing from the bank.

All he cares about is "smooth water," and wherever he finds it, he will ski. That's it!

Rules? Hmm, it would be courteous to NOT boat over a fisherman's line, but many don't care.

...------

Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #14236578 01/02/22 03:56 AM
W
Whistlebritches Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Being a fisherman who works both the bank and the boat..............I give bank fisherman plenty of berth and expect the same.In the winter I exclusively use surf rods from the bank so a 100 yard berth is necessary. I keep my rods high and make damn sure I am quite obvious to boaters,at night I am well lit up.Out here in West Texas I have had few problems only warning a few early spring crappie fisherman of where my lines were with complete cooperation.Thank God I do not fish the metroplex lakes,I have little tolerance for stupidity and have been told by many(most called me Petty Officer Bruce (MA1)over the years a short fuse.

On Time,On Target,Never Quit
Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #14236893 01/02/22 03:27 PM
S
sapalmer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I just see what kind of electronice they have and chat them up about the structure in the area.

Re: Boats -vs- Bank Fisherman [Re: 817.TX] #14244419 01/10/22 02:23 AM
C
Crappie Husband Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
As a boater I will do whatever is necessary to not disturb another man’s fishing even if it means turning around. Boater, bank fisherman, etc….we all put in our work hours and deserve the respect of our fellow man when it comes to wetting a line on our time off.

-Kyle Campbell-
Blue Wave 2000 Pure Bay
Predator PDL
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide