Re: Picachos [Re: Pete Robbins] #13790419 12/01/20 04:53 AM
F
Falcon Bass Cat Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Originally Posted by Pete Robbins
I just came back from El Salto on Friday, and while everyone has to assess their own level of risk-tolerance, it seemed to me that the Mexicans are taking COVID more seriously than most Americans.

Agreed.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Picachos [Re: Falcon Bass Cat] #13790479 12/01/20 12:00 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have friends that just returned from Playa, said the resorts are business as usual and the folks down there are all crazy diligent about COVID protocols. Just as said above, they are doing a much better job than we are... if we could have a cop jump out of the back of a Toyota pickup and start hitting people with a nightstick that weren’t wearing a mask I’d bet we’d be doing better too!!

I am wayyyyy to fair skinned and don’t speak nearly enough Spanish to ever consider driving through Mexico. If I were Hispanic maybe... but a white boy? NO WAY! A few of our yard workers that go back to Mexico a few times a year were robbed at gun point their last trip down... as a result they aren’t going back home for Christmas. That should tell you all you need to know, the guys that grew up there won’t go right now.

Re: Picachos [Re: Falcon Bass Cat] #13790713 12/01/20 03:46 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Was just at Picachos a few weeks ago with my Pop. Travel was seamless, the fishing was awesome, the service at Ron Speeds top notch, and I did not feel unsafe for one minute. The only car ride was to and from the airport but there were no safety issues. At the resort the visitors did not where masks but the staff did, I did not care either way. If masks worked the numbers would be going down not up. On the plane and in the airport masks are required, the flights and airports were packed. I would not hesitate to repeat this trip but would probably not drive down, I think there is probably a lot more risk that way.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Picachos [Re: Falcon Bass Cat] #13790851 12/01/20 05:37 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sugar Lake is right in your backyard, best lake on the planet if you don't mind the Zeta/Gulf conflict.

Last edited by InTheClear; 12/01/20 05:40 PM.
Re: Picachos [Re: InTheClear] #13790922 12/01/20 06:48 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by InTheClear
Sugar Lake is right in your backyard, best lake on the planet if you don't mind the Zeta/Gulf conflict.

In my experience I have fished Sugar and although I like it I don't think it competes with the lakes on the west coast of Mexico (Salto, Comedero). I have never fished Picachos or Baccarac.

Last edited by SAKS; 12/01/20 06:49 PM.
Re: Picachos [Re: buda13] #13791535 12/02/20 03:50 AM
F
Falcon Bass Cat Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F

Originally Posted by buda13
I have friends that just returned from Playa, said the resorts are business as usual and the folks down there are all crazy diligent about COVID protocols. Just as said above, they are doing a much better job than we are... if we could have a cop jump out of the back of a Toyota pickup and start hitting people with a nightstick that weren’t wearing a mask I’d bet we’d be doing better too!!

I am wayyyyy to fair skinned and don’t speak nearly enough Spanish to ever consider driving through Mexico. If I were Hispanic maybe... but a white boy? NO WAY! A few of our yard workers that go back to Mexico a few times a year were robbed at gun point their last trip down... as a result they aren’t going back home for Christmas. That should tell you all you need to know, the guys that grew up there won’t go right now.

I’ve made the drive from Roma to Mazatlan twice. I’ve made the trip from Roma to the Monterrey airport a dozen or more times. That first 20 miles will make the ol’ butt pucker. When traveling to the airport I go with people that are from the area. I’ve never had a problem, much less seen anything. Now, am I so naive or dense to think that there isn’t stuff going on? No. I suppose it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

I’ll be back at the end of December and again during March. I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Fishing picked up the last evening I was there—go figure.

Re: Picachos [Re: Falcon Bass Cat] #13793153 12/03/20 04:21 PM
P
Pete Robbins Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Here is my account of the safety measures being implemented in Mexico. No guarantees, but I felt comfortable.

Safety Measures -- Fishing in Mexico

Re: Picachos [Re: Falcon Bass Cat] #13793250 12/03/20 05:25 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Falcon Bass Cat

Originally Posted by buda13

I’ve made the drive from Roma to Mazatlan twice. I’ve made the trip from Roma to the Monterrey airport a dozen or more times. That first 20 miles will make the ol’ butt pucker. When traveling to the airport I go with people that are from the area. I’ve never had a problem, much less seen anything. Now, am I so naive or dense to think that there isn’t stuff going on? No. I suppose it’s a risk I’m willing to take.

I’ll be back at the end of December and again during March. I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Fishing picked up the last evening I was there—go figure.

Crossing over at Roma and going through town is pretty hairy. That was going to Sugar Lake. Never had a problem but that doesn't make it safe.

Last edited by SAKS; 12/03/20 05:25 PM.
Re: Picachos [Re: 361V] #13793851 12/04/20 09:53 AM
bluebonnet2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
good morning,

40D toll road is as good as US freeways. PEMEX locations are everywhere with diesel, just watch the attendant and always TIP. you can get peso's from your local bank for a fee thru Frost bank in San Antonio(good rates). Apple store has a PEMEX app. I made with a ZX200 to salto without ANY issues. just be nice. BTW I did not know the HP limit on salto was 150...……..lol. you can google hotels along the way.

I'm headed to guerrro in a couple of weeks. I love Mexico fishing because there is a whole lot less boats traffic, don't like the nets!!! plus the food at most lodges is great. don't for get your passport.

good luck.
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Last edited by bluebonnet2; 12/04/20 09:54 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide