Page 1 of 2 1 2
Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom #13787448 11/28/20 05:44 PM
R
reel_gills_tim Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
My buddy and I camped at Possum Kingdom State Park earlier this week. Despite the cooler temps we managed to find some birds working bait, which led to us catching a few stripers.
If you want to get a camping spot with electricity, you'll definitely have to book well in advance. Enjoy.

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13787503 11/28/20 06:45 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Good times. Neat video and thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13787527 11/28/20 06:59 PM
M
mwfishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
We had same results yesterday, 11/27. Found several areas with the birds working and caught lots of undersized stripers, and sandies of all sizes. As soon as the birds left, no more bites. Maybe 15 minutes of good fishing at each spot. Tried to locate some schools of fish on structure but no luck. Enjoyed your video, thanks for posting.

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: mwfishin] #13788886 11/29/20 11:39 PM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Great video!

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13789112 11/30/20 02:33 AM
CHAMPION FISH Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Great video and fun times camping with good friends 👍

[Linked Image]
" Success is a ladder you can not climb with your hands in your pockets."

www.pro-cure.com
www.falconrods.com
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13789169 11/30/20 03:55 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Sweet video! cheers

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13789212 11/30/20 04:59 AM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Love the video!! Do you have the camera on a mount in your light plug hole? We’re the birds working near the state park where you put in?

[Linked Image]
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: Windbreaker] #13789491 11/30/20 03:20 PM
R
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by Windbreaker
Love the video!! Do you have the camera on a mount in your light plug hole? We’re the birds working near the state park where you put in?

Yeah. I have a sportsmen mount for the gopro that has a vice on it. I put the vice on the light pole and it stays pretty steady. The birds we saw mainly stayed in the cove right in front of the state park camping sites. Feels like you always find the fish right by the ramp after you run around all day lol

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13790229 12/01/20 01:36 AM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I love the video...thanks for sharing. I might run down to PK....so true....run hard and find them on the way in under some birds.

[Linked Image]
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13790577 12/01/20 02:01 PM
gborg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by reel_gills_tim

Yeah. I have a sportsmen mount for the gopro that has a vice on it. I put the vice on the light pole and it stays pretty steady. The birds we saw mainly stayed in the cove right in front of the state park camping sites. Feels like you always find the fish right by the ramp after you run around all day lol

If you look at the map of PK, you will see the Brazos river bends right in front of said park. There are numerous creeks that extend north from the river going into the timber. The fish will follow bait as the water temps drop into the 50's , and the bait is headed into creeks. One degree is a plus so ck it out. The bigger stripes will be underneath the feeding frenzy , getting your lure down to them can be a challenge as the smaller fish are much faster . You might try targeting larger fish via larger baits , big flukes with heavier jig heads. If you decide to fish jigs in tandem , you will lose a lot of fish due to breakouts. A barrel swivel with heavier tag lines can shorten the learning curve. Fish away from the birds as the bigger fish are still feeding off the previous frenzy !

Last edited by gborg; 12/01/20 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: gborg] #13790629 12/01/20 02:37 PM
R
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by gborg

If you look at the map of PK, you will see the Brazos river bends right in front of said park. There are numerous creeks that extend north from the river going into the timber. The fish will follow bait as the water temps drop into the 50's , and the bait is headed into creeks. One degree is a plus so ck it out. The bigger stripes will be underneath the feeding frenzy , getting your lure down to them can be a challenge as the smaller fish are much faster . You might try targeting larger fish via larger baits , big flukes with heavier jig heads. If you decide to fish jigs in tandem , you will lose a lot of fish due to breakouts. A barrel swivel with heavier tag lines can shorten the learning curve. Fish away from the birds as the bigger fish are still feeding off the previous frenzy !

Wow, thanks for the info man!

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13790717 12/01/20 03:49 PM
M
mhun Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Was out at PK weekend 11/20. Friday last hour of daylight caught fish every other cast with largest at 31". Surprisingly, got a 28" Hybrid as well, fat hog. Birds working everywhere and I was using a slab to get to the big ones as gborg pointed out. Several fish were bending my hooks off as well so I am sure I missed some large fish. Saturday was slow and no birds and only managed a couple with same technique with another hook bender. Guide was fishing my spot and trolling swimbaits to get their limit. Sunday morning was slow as well, no birds and only managed 3. All fished mostly with 1.5 oz slabs on humps and points midlake.

Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: gborg] #13790785 12/01/20 04:47 PM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Originally Posted by gborg

Thank you gborg...lots of good info there. I have never fished PK, new to the area. I fish a similar pattern on other lakes I’ve been on, but being new to PK I wanted to eliminate water faster because I won’t have a lot of time and you did that for me. So thank you. This is the content I’m here for. I will be sure to pay it forward to someone else when I get a chance.

Last edited by Windbreaker; 12/01/20 04:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13790887 12/01/20 06:08 PM
B
BrazosBully Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Awesome video!

Here's to feelin' good all the time.
Re: Catching Stripers At Possum Kingdom [Re: reel_gills_tim] #13791814 12/02/20 02:58 PM
R
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Wow, guys.. I really appreciate all the info / positive feedback!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide