Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777348 11/19/20 09:10 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by TomRom
Oak Thicket can have that issue as posted above and the tilapia fisherman have been there since I have been going starting in 2004/2005. I am lucky they did not scratch the paint. but Im going to take another look so I get everything corrected. Not so sure if I agree with the bug explanation. I have never noticed any on my truck except smashed ones.. Also I dont think buzzards eat live stuff, but I could be wrong. I am ordering a truck cover. The lady at park told me she has seen a couple of vehicles with some sort of cover on them. Not to thrilled about having to use one but its a lot cheaper than the insurance deductible and the associated time getting damage corrected.

I've seen buzzards eat a newborn calf. I've also seen a calf half eaten as it was being born...
Black headed or red headed? Two different birds with two different demeanors.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777376 11/19/20 09:31 PM
Amberlamps Offline
Angler
Angler
they have both black and red headed out there. I have been victimized too by those mfkers about 7 years ago.

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777390 11/19/20 09:40 PM
H
Hookem Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Buzzards ate the sheet out of my buddy's truck at Bastrop. Luckily, we haven't seem them in the parking lot for a few years now.

We do see a hundred+ on the power towers across the lake in the mornings.

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777396 11/19/20 09:44 PM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Open a season on them bazzturds!! And commarants!

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777441 11/19/20 10:13 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
There are two types of vultures in Texas. The Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus), with a black head, and the Turkey Vulture (Cathartic aura) with a red head. Both can collect in massive roosts. They are big strong birds with lots of waste. They do a great job cleaning up dead organisms in our lakes. Unfortunately, they can adversely effect man-made structures and machines. Vultures, like most of the birds in the United States are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, so it is difficult for local agencies to address the damage.

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777468 11/19/20 10:31 PM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
I know they are protected, so are commarants. Maybe it’s time to look at the legislation again...after 100 years.

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13777471 11/19/20 10:34 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
As many have posted, the buzzard problem has been going on for years, they hit my truck and my buddy's suburban many years ago. I even bought a cover and they pecked through that, vile creatures. That's why I drive past Park P and go to Oak Thicket. I also make Chris D drive now because his insurance is better than mine plus it could be payback for him out-fishing me! laugh
Either way, it is probably best to avoid Fayette for the next 12 months to send a message to the new park attendants! "You won't be getting our money until the buzzard problem is taken care of! " Might as well boycott because of the netters as well! Who's with me??

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: Skeeter John] #13778900 11/20/20 11:00 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Skeeter John
As many have posted, the buzzard problem has been going on for years, they hit my truck and my buddy's suburban many years ago. I even bought a cover and they pecked through that, vile creatures. That's why I drive past Park P and go to Oak Thicket. I also make Chris D drive now because his insurance is better than mine plus it could be payback for him out-fishing me! laugh
Either way, it is probably best to avoid Fayette for the next 12 months to send a message to the new park attendants! "You won't be getting our money until the buzzard problem is taken care of! " Might as well boycott because of the netters as well! Who's with me??

I certainly understand your anger with the buzzards but what are they going to do? They are a federally protected animal. I have heard people say that "cannons" should be installed to scare them off. The vultures would go away for awhile but will return when they become accustomed to the sound. Scaring vultures also makes them vomit which just entices them to come back. BTW - there are federally mandated vulture kills but good luck trying to get one at FCL.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13779731 11/21/20 05:25 PM
T
texasAUtiger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Is it only certain times of the year or is it a threat year around?

Ranger z21
Mercury 250 ProXS
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13779770 11/21/20 06:04 PM
C
Cuervo Jones Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Everyone should boycott. And not just because I could then have the lake to myself!

“Slide”
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13786909 11/27/20 11:55 PM
D
Douglasdzaster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Wow we just went to Fcl for the first time a few weeks ago. Actually trying for catfish that trip. I noticed the signs and the buzzards but had known idea they were messing with parked vehicles. I like to cast net for bait only. Didn’t realize people were allowed to take tilapia that way. They should change that for sure! The people I saw throwing cast nets looked to me like they were on top of some good spawning areas for bass as well. I was wondering what was up. Now I know what they’re doing. I love bass fishing and I like my catfish for the freezer. And I give other fisherman room. Especially if anchored trying to fish which is a problem my wife and I had that day. Boats coming way to close while we’re fishing, anchor in water. Other than than that we thought it was an awesome lake . Just a few @holes that didn’t seem to care. I had my 21’ Triton days but I was courteous and respectful of other fishermen. I agree the tilapia fishing needs to change for more than one reason. They’ll bite a hook like any game fish if you want to take the time and do it right. Thanks to you all I’ve enjoyed reading the thread and big thanks for the heads up on buzzard damage.

Show respect to other boats, enjoy every day and every bite on the water you never know when it’s going to be the last.
Keep a tight line and hook baited can’t catch ‘em on credit.
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: Douglasdzaster] #13787026 11/28/20 02:24 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
They turned the heat off at Fairfield and the problem with netters stopped smile

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: Skeeter John] #13787201 11/28/20 01:23 PM
L
Les Ems Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L

Ya and then the Mexicans can take everything out of the lake, Bass included which they are doing anyway. The lake is really a mess and has been. Stop the castnet stuff and most of the problem will go away.

Maverick Pro Guide Service
201 Stratos w/225 Etec HO
Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: TomRom] #13787241 11/28/20 02:00 PM
buda13 Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Sounds like they just need to put a proper fish cleaning station. Maybe some signs in English and Spanish encouraging people to use the station and not throw fish carcass on the bank. Likely wouldn’t stop it completely but it would make a difference IMO

Re: Beware Fishing Fayette [Re: buda13] #13787294 11/28/20 02:51 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Les Ems

Ya and then the Mexicans can take everything out of the lake, Bass included which they are doing anyway. The lake is really a mess and has been. Stop the castnet stuff and most of the problem will go away.

I think boycotting was meant as a joke to keep fishermen away. In any event, yes, the castnet thing needs to be stopped/regulated and most importantly -- enforced. But that is another conversation.

Originally Posted by buda13
Sounds like they just need to put a proper fish cleaning station. Maybe some signs in English and Spanish encouraging people to use the station and not throw fish carcass on the bank. Likely wouldn’t stop it completely but it would make a difference IMO

It could be helpful if used, but I don't think signs/rules/options will change the behavior of most. Seems to me that the netters want to do their own thing and get out of the parking lot as fast as they can - a visible cleaning station may reveal everything in their bag (including bass).

Last edited by Chis D; 11/29/20 01:15 AM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide