Forums59
Topics1,037,857
Posts13,935,688
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783695 11/24/20 07:37 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
On Jan 7, 2012 I was taking my god-son to Camelot Bell for his birthday. I had him fishing up front all day with the owner Mike Frazier so he would have the first shot at all the targets. Mike had planted brush all over the lake and much of it was not visible.

At noon Mrs. Frazier called us and told us she had lunch ready so we went up to the house to eat. wink

Khristian was a senior at Carrollton Hebron High on their bass team. He had already caught two 7's and two 8's so he had his PB's already so he was in heaven. About 2 pm we are fishing down the row of what Mike calls the Church Pews. He has the nose of the boat turned toward the bank in about 5 feet of water. He is telling Khristian to throw at some flooded brush he had planted off a small point. grin

I am sitting in the back seat throwing a 1/2 oz jig. I ask Mike what is out offshore and he says something about it dropping off the church pews into 12 feet out that way so I fire my jig out there as far as I can. I let it sink down to the bottom and I pick up on it. I drag the jig a few feet and then reel up my slack. I go to pick up on it again and it feels heavy. Any of you that have fished a jig much knows when it doesn't feel right you swing. eeks

I set the hook hard with 50 braid and my rod LOADS UP! You know when you can feel the rod flexing under the reel seat and you know you're not hung! The fish stays down all the way to the boat as the water was probably in the high-40's. As she gets close to the boat I get a look at her as she makes a swirl and I scream at Mike, "That's a FOURTEEN POUNDER - DON'T MISS HER!! He grabs the fish by the lip and we weigh it. She goes exactly 15.0 and is the new Camelot Bell Lake Record for a whole Two Months! I could kick myself for not getting any actual pics of her. All I got was the video of us weighing & releasing her so I took some screenshots from the video. realmad

[Linked Image]

In case you were wondering my friend Dr JL beat my record by half a pound two months later. Haven't forgiven him yet! sarcastic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783705 11/24/20 07:46 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
September 29th, 2012

Bass Champs championship on LBJ, 11.64lbs caught on a 3/8oz finesse jig with a craw trailer. I tossed up next to a retaining wall point the boat was sitting in 15ft and the wall was in 4-5ft. When i picked up on the jig i felt a small thump and it started slowing swimming towards the boat out to deeper water. She made one hard run under the boat and the second I got her to the surface next to the boat my dad netted her. The jig fell out in the net and the hook was bent pretty bad, I had no idea how big she was until weigh in. Dad kept telling me it was at least 8lbs, turns out he didn't want me to freak out and loose focus during the tournament. When I pulled her out of the live well at the boat ramp with the boat on the trailer I knew she was over 10 and possibly a 12. Great memory with my Dad.

[Linked Image]

Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783719 11/24/20 08:02 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
In 2013 at 30 years old, I found myself single after being with my prior girlfriend of 5 years and fell back into fishing with a guy I worked with, was able to fish consistently 3 times a week, 2 at night once on Sundays, 2 or 3 of us would go out depending on the day and we had done really well at nights on lake Austin catching 6+ pounders regularly at night and we would fish Fayette on Sundays to avoid boat traffic in the city lakes. Coming into fall we knew of a big bass tournament on Lake Austin by a local bass club, we found the juice. We had good night time spots where big fish would roll up and feed and I caught my first DD off one of them in September. When fall came around and there was less boat traffic we would head to Lake Austin to find fish for this upcoming tournament. We found some brush piles in 15-17 foot of water that held fish, we hammered these fish because we were fun fishing, and they were all quality. We figured someone had found these fish too but come tournament day, we rolled up to our spot for first cast and there was no one there.

Tournament day, November 17, 2013. It was dark at lines in so we fan casted around to no avail, but we knew the fish were there. At first sunlight, we both were chunking deep cranks, bomber for me, lucky craft for my partner, similar color, different sound, he hooks up and lands a 7-12. Our next two casts we double up, me on a 9-6 and him with a 10-6, we had to decide on who got the net! 3 casts later I land a 7-14. Then the bite dies.

We weighed a couple of our fish to get them on the board and release them, we still had the 7's in the box for later. After the second weigh in time we idled across from the scales to a dock we knew had brush and was shaded and I hunked a c-rig mag fluke paralled to the dock and dragged her across the brush, got the weight hung, popped it free and thunk! Felt like a jig bite. I set the hook and she didn't move! When she did, she head shook and stayed deep, got her up to the boat and couldn't believe it, she was huuuge, biggest fish I've seen, netted her and after a few seconds of catching our breath, we idled back to the scale and checked her in and she was 11-1.

It's a shame what happened to Lake Austin, it was one heck of a lake in it's day. Less than a year later, my partner from that day caught his personal best at 11-12.

My all time best 5 came from this lake. 11-1, 10-12, 10-1, 9-6 and an 8-12.

Attached Files image1 (2).jpeg
Last edited by MagFluker; 11/24/20 08:10 PM.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783733 11/24/20 08:11 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
1999 Rodman Resvor was trolling a shiner with a friend who is also a guide there and caught an about 8 LB bass which is said is a male and then must be a really big female nearby. Went into a small cove surrounded by heavy timber and saw a huge bed. Anchor the boat against the wood about 50' away and we both threw our shiners over near it and went back to enjoying a few more beers and yaking.
After a while I happened to look over in that direction and both of our floats were missing. He said she must have both shiners in her mouth. He said what pound test are you using and I said 20. He said take my rod because it has 30. Only trouble with that is I fish left handed and his reel cranked right. He took my rod and starting shaking it and sure enough that bobber popped up.
He said when you are ready set the hook and he'll get the net. He said that customers of his had caught 35 bass over 15 pounds in Rodman over the years. I set the hook and this giant came up and was wallowing on the surface to big to even jump. And then she dove down and came straight at the boat like a rocket. It is surprising how fast them fish are. I never caught up with her as she rocketed under the boat and into the woods behind us. Flippin had missed her as she went by so fast. And the 30 # stretched and stretched and then wham it broke. He said it was a 17 plus.
The one I actually got to hold for a minute or so was in March of 2005 in Glade. She was on a bed surrounded by hydrilla. Remember that stuff? Back in the days before I knew you could turn a bass over and gain and 1/8" or a little more. I pestered her until she finally bit my charteruse lizard and after a short fight got her into the boat. No scale. No camera. Before phones with cameras. And 23 15/16" long. Back she went. This fish was a football easily 12-13 LBS.
A few years ago when Don Hampton was guiding he had a client that caught a 23 1/2" that went 13 1/2 LBS. So it is possible that this fish did too.
I have experience handling big bass on the live release boat including a pair of 12's from a mega bass a couple of years back and that fish was indeed a giant.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 11/24/20 08:14 PM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: Ken A.] #13783773 11/24/20 08:44 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Ken A.
On Jan 7, 2012 I was taking my god-son to Camelot Bell for his birthday. I had him fishing up front all day with the owner Mike Frazier so he would have the first shot at all the targets. Mike had planted brush all over the lake and much of it was not visible.

At noon Mrs. Frazier called us and told us she had lunch ready so we went up to the house to eat. wink

Khristian was a senior at Carrollton Hebron High on their bass team. He had already caught two 7's and two 8's so he had his PB's already so he was in heaven. About 2 pm we are fishing down the row of what Mike calls the Church Pews. He has the nose of the boat turned toward the bank in about 5 feet of water. He is telling Khristian to throw at some flooded brush he had planted off a small point. grin

I am sitting in the back seat throwing a 1/2 oz jig. I ask Mike what is out offshore and he says something about it dropping off the church pews into 12 feet out that way so I fire my jig out there as far as I can. I let it sink down to the bottom and I pick up on it. I drag the jig a few feet and then reel up my slack. I go to pick up on it again and it feels heavy. Any of you that have fished a jig much knows when it doesn't feel right you swing. eeks

I set the hook hard with 50 braid and my rod LOADS UP! You know when you can feel the rod flexing under the reel seat and you know you're not hung! The fish stays down all the way to the boat as the water was probably in the high-40's. As she gets close to the boat I get a look at her as she makes a swirl and I scream at Mike, "That's a FOURTEEN POUNDER - DON'T MISS HER!! He grabs the fish by the lip and we weigh it. She goes exactly 15.0 and is the new Camelot Bell Lake Record for a whole Two Months! I could kick myself for not getting any actual pics of her. All I got was the video of us weighing & releasing her so I took some screenshots from the video. realmad

[Linked Image]

In case you were wondering my friend Dr JL beat my record by half a pound two months later. Haven't forgiven him yet! sarcastic

Awesome story. I hope my Bells reach those kinda weights

Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783777 11/24/20 08:50 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Great thread

Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13783836 11/24/20 10:01 PM
Y
Ynot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
My 6 year old grandson with his 12.1lb, 251/2" caught on his favorite bait, Academy's topwater H2O Ghost Shad. He was proud to released her to grow bigger and to make more big bass.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Fair Winds and Following Seas"
Re: Share the memory of your personal best [Re: BrandoA] #13784658 11/25/20 03:31 PM
blackhorse Offline
Angler
Angler
Honey Hole Big Bass Tournament 3rd place with a 10lb 12oz caught on a Fliptail Lizard blk/blue in Birch Creek.
One bite in two days of fishing. It was Valentines Day 1991, $3250 won. When wife saw the check she got over Valentine's real quick.
First place was caught in Glade on a pumpkin craw it was over 14lbs.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide