texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
QuailHollow, WTJ, RickyWayne, 007catking, tdh136
114127 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 98,660
Pilothawk 80,535
John175☮ 77,908
Bigbob_FTW 69,075
JDavis7873 67,400
Derek 🐝 65,566
Mark Perry 61,396
Tritonman 59,010
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics1,135,804
Posts15,484,583
Members139,127
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Spot lock trolling motor #13779697 11/21/20 04:40 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
A
Anthonysince94 Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
A
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
Im wanting to get a trolling motor with spotlock. If I dont plan to use any other feature of the trolling motor would it be just as good to go with a terrova instead of an ultrex? I'm just looking for a good spot lock anchor and basic cruising the banks with a trolling motor.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779702 11/21/20 04:43 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 304
C
Cuervo Jones Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
C
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 304
I installed a terrova last year and I love it. It does everything I need and works really well to lock on even during a major blow. It does have a tendency to “strangle itself” by rotating too far of the water is calm, but the autopilot and everything else are awesome. Very glad I went with it.


“Slide”
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779704 11/21/20 04:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,050
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
D
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,050
Terrova is a pain in the butt to deploy and stow, IMO


“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779712 11/21/20 04:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,028
J
Jeff From Iowa Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,028
ultrex has a cable\electric steer


The other two have all electric, they are terrible to use in my opinion I would absolutely get on a boat and use one and see if you can get used to the electric its very touchy.


Dont try and take someones shine away..... Doing so just shows YOUR weak character.
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779726 11/21/20 05:17 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,220
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,220
Terrova and get the foot pedal also. https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/20841/Minn-Kota-Terrova-Series-Trolling-Motors.html

This MinnKota store runs some pretty good sales. Get on the mailing list.


The United States used to be "One Nation Under God". What happened?
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Douglas J] #13779727 11/21/20 05:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,220
B
BillS2006 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,220
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Terrova is a pain in the butt to deploy and stow, IMO


I found it a lot easier than Motor Guide


The United States used to be "One Nation Under God". What happened?
Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779774 11/21/20 06:12 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,981
GTrigg Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,981
I had a Terrova and now an Ulterra only because of the auto-deploy / stow. I had the first edition Terrova and got a little tough for me to deploy and stow due to a bad back. The newer Terrova's aren't as difficult. If something happened to my Ulterra, I'd probably go back to the Terrova. The Ulterra has too many moving parts and can get locked up if you're not careful.

Spot lock on both work well, especially with wind. Unit(s) tend to get confused and do a lot of correcting in calmer water.

I also use the "cruise control" function a lot. If I'm throwing moving baits, I just point the nose of the boat into the wind and "cruise" up the bank or grass line at whatever speed works best. GPS keeps the boat on the track.

Each unit has many more functions, but I'm old so I keep it simple with the two above.

Electronic steering isn't the devil, it just takes getting used to. Steering works just fine with the remote and I don't even keep the foot pedal on the front deck. I do have it stored, just in case I have remote issues.

I don't know where you live, but if you're close to East Texas, I'd be glad to let you check mine out.


[Linked Image]



Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: GTrigg] #13779840 11/21/20 07:11 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
A
Anthonysince94 Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
A
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by GTrigg
I had a Terrova and now an Ulterra only because of the auto-deploy / stow. I had the first edition Terrova and got a little tough for me to deploy and stow due to a bad back. The newer Terrova's aren't as difficult. If something happened to my Ulterra, I'd probably go back to the Terrova. The Ulterra has too many moving parts and can get locked up if you're not careful.

Spot lock on both work well, especially with wind. Unit(s) tend to get confused and do a lot of correcting in calmer water.

I also use the "cruise control" function a lot. If I'm throwing moving baits, I just point the nose of the boat into the wind and "cruise" up the bank or grass line at whatever speed works best. GPS keeps the boat on the track.

Each unit has many more functions, but I'm old so I keep it simple with the two above.

Electronic steering isn't the devil, it just takes getting used to. Steering works just fine with the remote and I don't even keep the foot pedal on the front deck. I do have it stored, just in case I have remote issues.

I don't know where you live, but if you're close to East Texas, I'd be glad to let you check mine out.

I'd love a chance to actually use one. I'm around lake fork if your ever this way. Or I could meet you somewhere.

Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13779955 11/21/20 08:51 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 846
C
Cmack Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 846
I've been running a Motor Guide Xi5 for two years now and it's been flawless. I've modified the foot control with different springs but it's still lacking. I use the fob exclusively and have zero complaints. The MG functions/steers much quieter than the MK which is important to me. That being said, I'm a MG devotee, been running them for nearly 50 years and have never been stranded, wish I could say the same for my forays into MK. Reliability is king in my world.


Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Cmack] #13780018 11/21/20 09:52 PM
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
A
Anthonysince94 Online Content OP
Green Horn
OP Online Content
Green Horn
A
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by Cmack
I've been running a Motor Guide Xi5 for two years now and it's been flawless. I've modified the foot control with different springs but it's still lacking. I use the fob exclusively and have zero complaints. The MG functions/steers much quieter than the MK which is important to me. That being said, I'm a MG devotee, been running them for nearly 50 years and have never been stranded, wish I could say the same for my forays into MK. Reliability is king in my world.

Does the motor guide require a special mounting bracket?

Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13780106 11/21/20 11:20 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 846
C
Cmack Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 846
Originally Posted by Anthonysince94
Originally Posted by Cmack
I've been running a Motor Guide Xi5 for two years now and it's been flawless. I've modified the foot control with different springs but it's still lacking. I use the fob exclusively and have zero complaints. The MG functions/steers much quieter than the MK which is important to me. That being said, I'm a MG devotee, been running them for nearly 50 years and have never been stranded, wish I could say the same for my forays into MK. Reliability is king in my world.

Does the motor guide require a special mounting bracket?


If you're asking will it fit a Gator mount the answer is no. It has it's own unique mount.


Re: Spot lock trolling motor [Re: Anthonysince94] #13780125 11/21/20 11:42 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,981
GTrigg Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,981
PM Sent


[Linked Image]



Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3