BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by AustinWader
Wow I still have tons to learn!

My advice is ignore what anyone else says. Figure out how you like to fish and go fish. For me I like to fish shallow. So ot doesn't matter if it's January or July. I fish shallow. And i will run as far up river or creeks as i can.

I’m a shallow guy as well. And when I say shallow 10ft or less. I will catch fish yr round 90% of the time. If I fish deep it’s 25 or less.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Kicker16] #13774992 11/18/20 04:47 AM
B
Bass-N-Buck Master Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Kicker16
sounds like the big ones are social distancing from your lures

They can sniff out that virus!

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775239 11/18/20 02:08 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Jerk bait!

The problem is that we spend all our time money and efforts on the wrong things, things like presentations, lures, colors etc. when we should be studying lake maps, fish behavior,, fish preferences and comfort zones, migration routes, how the seasons, the weather, the amount of light and water color all affect the bass, the nature of fish, how they adapt when their preferences are not available, in a word hunting, and not fishing, being able to predict the location of a school of bass, then find them then apply the most efficient and effective way to present a lure to them!

The answer to the original question is the small bass scatter and hide In the shallow cover to survive, if they did not do so they would get eaten by the bigger fish!

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775316 11/18/20 02:35 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Austinwader, what hs team was it and what weight won it? It would be interesting to see the results of the tourney. Did all the teams weigh in "dinks"? I would bet not. Kinda like a lot of other tourneys. A few get "on em", and the rest struggle. Kinda like a radio ad that runs down here in Austin: "Some people are financial wise...the rest are otherwise"!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Gruber] #13775371 11/18/20 02:58 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Gruber
Jerk bait!

The problem is that we spend all our time money and efforts on the wrong things, things like presentations, lures, colors etc. when we should be studying lake maps, fish behavior,, fish preferences and comfort zones, migration routes, how the seasons, the weather, the amount of light and water color all affect the bass, the nature of fish, how they adapt when their preferences are not available, in a word hunting, and not fishing, being able to predict the location of a school of bass, then find them then apply the most efficient and effective way to present a lure to them!

The answer to the original question is the small bass scatter and hide In the shallow cover to survive, if they did not do so they would get eaten by the bigger fish!

I don't know what you smoke. But I'm sure it's illegal

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Dubee] #13775382 11/18/20 03:04 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H

I don't know what you smoke. But I'm sure it's illegal

Just waaaaaaay too much book reading.

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Dubee] #13775412 11/18/20 03:18 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Got it. Thanks for the responses everyone, was not expecting so much information smile
I think a good conclusion for the depth discussion might be that fish USUALLY can be quite shallow in the morning/evening, but mid-day many bigger fish move into the deeper channels near their home.
Do y'all think fish in the main lake are bigger and in the fish upriver or is this a misconception?

No bigger fish don't always move to deeper water. No main lake fish aren't bigger. Thousands of tournaments have been won as far up rivers as you can go.

Listen to this guy.

He has won more money fishing way up a river than probably anyone else on this thread. I don't think the shallow resident river fish necessarily move deep after their morning feed. Deep to them may be 4 feet. I have sat and watched a 16# bass in an aquarium at Lake Fork Marina let bluegill peck at a sore on its upper lip for 45 mins without ever moving. Then when she "woke up" the bluegill sensed the danger and they all fled behind a big rock.

Most back river fish are most likely resident fish while the main lake fish are more migratory in my experience. I believe most fish feed in small windows of time during the day. The higher their metabolism the more time they feed. In 62 degree water (like now) if a 4# bass eats a 6" gizzard shad, that fish may not have to eat for a day or two.

That's my opinion. That and $2 will getcha a cuppa coffee at 7-Eleven.

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Ken A.] #13775462 11/18/20 03:48 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Got it. Thanks for the responses everyone, was not expecting so much information smile
I think a good conclusion for the depth discussion might be that fish USUALLY can be quite shallow in the morning/evening, but mid-day many bigger fish move into the deeper channels near their home.
Do y'all think fish in the main lake are bigger and in the fish upriver or is this a misconception?

No bigger fish don't always move to deeper water. No main lake fish aren't bigger. Thousands of tournaments have been won as far up rivers as you can go.

Listen to this guy.

He has won more money fishing way up a river than probably anyone else on this thread. I don't think the shallow resident river fish necessarily move deep after their morning feed. Deep to them may be 4 feet. I have sat and watched a 16# bass in an aquarium at Lake Fork Marina let bluegill peck at a sore on its upper lip for 45 mins without ever moving. Then when she "woke up" the bluegill sensed the danger and they all fled behind a big rock.

Most back river fish are most likely resident fish while the main lake fish are more migratory in my experience. I believe most fish feed in small windows of time during the day. The higher their metabolism the more time they feed. In 62 degree water (like now) if a 4# bass eats a 6" gizzard shad, that fish may not have to eat for a day or two.

That's my opinion. That and $2 will getcha a cuppa coffee at 7-Eleven.

Lol, I haven't won peanuts. I just like power fishing shallow and going up creeks and rivers fits me. I think you were taking a shot at me. roflmao

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775507 11/18/20 04:16 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I don’t fish tours or for money or up any rivers! I fish for fun! Do I demand a high success rate!

Deep water structure, migration routes, drop offs! And there are huge schools out there for those who search for them!
All fish live most the time in deep water schools, so keep busting the bank and flailing the shallow cover and leave all the big schools of big bass to me! I can’t force you to learn, some country bumpkins are happy catching a few small stragglers! “You can’t catch bass where they don’t live” “deep water is the home (sanctuary) or the bass” Buck Perry! The legend!

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Gruber] #13775570 11/18/20 05:18 PM
B
BrandoA Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I don’t fish tours or for money or up any rivers! I fish for fun! Do I demand a high success rate!

Deep water structure, migration routes, drop offs! And there are huge schools out there for those who search for them!
All fish live most the time in deep water schools, so keep busting the bank and flailing the shallow cover and leave all the big schools of big bass to me! I can’t force you to learn, some country bumpkins are happy catching a few small stragglers! “You can’t catch bass where they don’t live” “deep water is the home (sanctuary) or the bass” Buck Perry! The legend!

You contradict yourself more than a meth head giving confession

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775608 11/18/20 05:51 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Maybe you confuse my preference with the facts of fish behavior? Where Is a contradiction?

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775639 11/18/20 06:15 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
An example of structure is the dam at Lewisville, massive major structure, there are ALWAYS bass on the dam!
What is the most “efficient” and “effective” Method of finding those big schools of bass, covering all that water from 10 to 40 feet? the dam is at least 2 miles long, I did not say what is your favorite method, or what is the most fun method, but the most efficient and effective taking the least amount of time! How long would it take? Now Smart A you can say a fly rod!

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: Gruber] #13775672 11/18/20 06:32 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
An example of structure is the dam at Lewisville, massive major structure, there are ALWAYS bass on the dam!
What is the most “efficient” and “effective” Method of finding those big schools of bass, covering all that water from 10 to 40 feet? the dam is at least 2 miles long, I did not say what is your favorite method, or what is the most fun method, but the most efficient and effective taking the least amount of time! How long would it take? Now Smart A you can say a fly rod!

You make less sense with every post you make. I sure hope you are just trolling because if you believe any of jabbering nonsense you post. Then I feel bad for you

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775709 11/18/20 07:08 PM
Bruce Allen Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
so many dinks is mainly because of a great young of the year class spawn a couple of years prior. nothing else.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Why so many dinks? [Re: AustinWader] #13775754 11/18/20 07:52 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I’m trying to help, you don’t have to be successful! I don’t Care, either way!
What great knowledge have you contributed?

“knowledge is the key to success“! Buck Perry

Large mouth bass are fish!
Fish live in schools!
Bass prefer a depth of 30 to 35 feet!
Light penetration, weather, water clarity all affect the behavior of bass!
Bass adapt to changes very slowly!
Bass use structure or lake bottom, as well defined migration routes!
Successful Migration routes must extend from deep water, (or deepest available) to the shallows!
Most large bass never (even during spawn) enter the shallows, 10 feet or less!
95 percent of the bass in any lake do not live in the shallows!

Most of the fish! Most of the time!
There are exceptions there are year round bass that live in the shallows, most are small young bass! The spawn and fair stable weather in the fall can allow some larger fish to be in the shallows, but they will not be in schools rather scattered throughout the cover!

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide