Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Various ways to work a Mepps #4 #13773491 11/17/20 03:42 AM
Dennis Christian Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Lately, the fish have been very finnicky about biting a Mepps #4. I typically go to a Mepps #2 when that happens thinking fish are on tiny shad – like they were in September and October. Beginning this month, they stopped biting the #2, and they have been, for the most part, very difficult to entice into a strike. But, by trying various presentations of the Mepps #4 you can usually find one that will work.

Last week I took a buddy out with me on Cedar Creek Lake, and we found concentrations of fish via side-scan down on the bottom in 14 to 22 fow. He and I were using the same rig – a high-speed, smooth casting reel on a medium 5 ft 6 in rod with 10 lb line. The fish were indeed finnicky, and after 3 hours, we had 38 fish. My friend said he was doing the exact same thing as I was with the Mepps, but was somewhat exasperated because he only caught three of the 38 fish. On other occasions when fishing with friends who have learned the Mepps method, I usually catch more fish than they do. I attribute that to many more years of experience (44 of them) with a Mepps during which I learned a variety of presentations.

So, today as I was being taxed to find what the fish wanted and, finally finding some actions that worked, I decided I would share the various, often subtle ways, I work a Mepps to trigger a bite. So, I’m going to try to pick my own brain and describe the variations. Some are so ingrained in me by now, I do them without thinking.

To save time and avoid repetition, I will assume we have located fish on the bottom and that I have made a cast, the Mepps has reached the bottom, and I am ready to work it back through the fish.

1. Basic Method: Take up the slack in the line and crank the reel 3 to 6 turns medium-fast. If no strike, release the line and let it free fall to the bottom. Take up the slack and repeat all the way back to the boat. (When fish are not finnicky this usually works. You may need to see how fast they want it reeled and how many cranks of the reel – 3,4,5, or 6 - work best)
2. Rod pointing toward line: This variation works so well I almost always use this for the basic method. You simply add pointing the rod at the line, then take up the slack and start reeling as above. I don’t know why this works, but it does. You will usually catch more this way than if you hold the rod at an angle to the line.
3. Rod held low and to the side: Hold the rod low and to the side then take up the slack and begin to reel as in the basic method. This keeps the lure very close to the bottom with the most lateral presentation possible. I try this when I’m not getting bites with method 1 or when I’m feeling fish nip at the bait when I’m using method 2 and not hooking them. Try both short drags (2 to 3 cranks of the reel) and long drags (6 to 8 cranks of the reel). As always, try different speeds.
4. Burning the Mepps up from bottom: You can do this with most any lure including Mepps #4. Take up the slack and make a very fast retrieve counting out 7 to 12 cranks for the reel. When you stop cranking, don’t immediately release. Let the tension in the line keep the lure moving. When it slows is often when they will hit it.
5. Number 1, 2, or 3 with a sudden start: Instead of taking up all the slack, leave a little slack in the line and release the reel. Then start the reel suddenly and crank 3 to 7 turns of the reel and try various speeds. Repeat.
6. Fast crank with release, hesitate, followed by smooth start: Take up slack and make a fast or medium-fast retrieve for 5 or 6 turns. With tension in the line, release the reel causing the Mepps to stop suddenly. Let it fall to the bottom, take up all the slack, wait for 3 or 4 seconds then start a very smooth retrieve with the rod pointing toward the line. Crank 4 to 5 turns. Repeat. They usually hit it on the smooth retrieve.
7. Alternate fast and slow drags: Take up slack and crank slowly for 3 to 4 turns. Release and let it fall to the bottom then take up the slack and make a fast drag 5 to 7 turns. Repeat. They usually take it on the fast retrieve.
8. Jig and reel: With a little slack in the line jig the Mepps sharply once or twice. Then take up the slack and crank it 2 to 5 turns. Repeat.
9. Sudden start with release, hesitate, followed by smooth start: Same as 6 but with a sudden start.
10. Fast, fast, long: Take up most of slack then crank super-fast for 2 or 3 turns. Release and from the bottom do it again. Then make a long drag medium, medium-fast or fast. Repeat.
11. Starting with slack in line: Leave a lot of slack in the line. Add more if needed. Then Start the drag cranking 4 to 8 turns of the reel. This causes a different kind of sudden start. Repeat.

That’s all I can think of now. If I remember anything else, I’ll add it to the list. Today, numbers 6 and 9 worked best. Last week, numbers 4 and 7 worked best.

Last edited by Dennis Christian; 11/17/20 03:44 AM.
Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13773595 11/17/20 12:03 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
Last Friday I used the number 3 method with 3 slow cranks then fall. It reminded me of slow rolling a spinner bait. Most of the strikes occurred on the third crank. A few occurred right as I stopped and let the bait fall.

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13773689 11/17/20 01:34 PM
gborg Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Finesse fishing at its finest !

Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13773947 11/17/20 04:22 PM
M
mwfishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Great advice Dennis. No one gives advice and reports, as detailed as you do. Thanks

Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13774079 11/17/20 05:59 PM
L
lenahorse Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
My in experienced usage catches but not like the master, I like to cast let sink and take a fast break just letting it set still awhile, for me this works then vary retrieve, tomorrow shall be another learning trip on Tawakoni. Most of my catches come from the 2nd retrieve after letting it fall back to bottom.

Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13774349 11/17/20 09:16 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Thanks, DC, for picking your own brain and save me some brain-pickN work next time I fish with ya grin
I usually give up and go home after #3 but glad you only have 11 ways to skin a cat?? OMG

JK! I've been blessed to fish with DC several times and lakes when the fish were extremely finicky and everyone in the boat can't catch except for DC. DC is very creative, persistent and he loves this sport. IMHO. smile

You're extremely generous and thoughtful, DC.
THANKS!

SPT

Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13774829 11/18/20 01:56 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Various ways to work a Mepps #4 [Re: Dennis Christian] #13775013 11/18/20 05:31 AM
F
FlyFX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I'm sure I have tried most of the methods with varying results as we know is the fun of the sport.
Sometimes the fish win.
Thanks for the post

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide