Print Thread
First time surf fishing, advice? #13772048 11/16/20 03:48 AM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
In a few weeks I'll be going on vacation in Cabo San Lucas, staying at the Hard Rock, and will be trying out surf fishing for the first time. Getting a boat charter is a little too expensive for our group, but I still want to fish so I thought I should try out surf fishing. From what I read online, you can fish anywhere along the beach without a fishing license. There's a tackle shop that sells surf fishing gear called Jansen Inshore Tackle. Their website is in Spanish and English, and it looks like they sell different stuff depending on what language it's in? Their stuff is pretty cheap so I wouldn't mind discarding it after the trip, so I wouldn't have to lug back through the airport coming home.

However, I'm wondering if I should just buy my own surf rod & reel setup before going down there to keep for a future trip to the beach (I live in North Texas). I don't mind putting some money into fishing gear that'll last me a while, especially if I can use it for bank fishing in freshwater (I usually target catfish). Can you provide me with any suggestions for gear that I should use in Cabo? (Rod, reel, line, weights, hooks, etc.)

Also, I have virtually no idea how to fish in saltwater, let alone from the surf. I was hoping y'all could give me advice on what to do. If I use cut bait and just cast it out as far as I can, will that bring any action? I'm not sure how I would use a lure while surf fishing, so I just assumed using bait would be the easiest place to start. What kinds of fish would I most likely be catching? How would I go about catching bait also?

I know I asked a ton of questions, apologies for that. I would appreciate any bit of advice you could offer me, I've only fished in saltwater a handful of times. So if you could give me a crash course in surf fishing, it would be incredibly helpful! Thanks so much.

Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Andrew32198] #13772381 11/16/20 03:16 PM
C
Curt0407 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Depending on your budget, I would buy my reel here in the states and put line on it and then pack it down there. Keep it for future trips. Buy a good rod down there. Cut bait works dang near anywhere. Check with the locals for better baiting ideas and what fish to target.

Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Curt0407] #13772547 11/16/20 05:10 PM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by Curt0407
Depending on your budget, I would buy my reel here in the states and put line on it and then pack it down there. Keep it for future trips. Buy a good rod down there. Cut bait works dang near anywhere. Check with the locals for better baiting ideas and what fish to target.

That's a really good idea, I think I'll do that! My budget is about $200 for the reel and reel combo, hoping to be able to use it in freshwater as well. Any specific suggestions for a reel to buy before I go?

Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Andrew32198] #13772751 11/16/20 07:24 PM
1956Zebco Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Andrew32198

I know I asked a ton of questions, apologies for that. I would appreciate any bit of advice you could offer me, I've only fished in saltwater a handful of times. So if you could give me a crash course in surf fishing, it would be incredibly helpful! Thanks so much.

There's info in the "what's the deal about surf fishing thread" that would probably be useful. I will say something that might sound strange, but you might just want to take a 7 foot rod and spinning reel and use that. You're probably already familiar and the truth is most fish in the surf aren't caught casting 9 miles out - they're in the 2nd or third wave trough so you're actually casting 45ยบ angle to the beach. Easy reach by most gear. Saltwater fish have to get their freshwater from what they eat as well as nutrition - and that's what makes them voracious. Practically any cut bait will work - just a matter of what smells or sees it. Good luck and have a blast down there!

Big Bass Deep Diving Spinner: https://youtu.be/nSH_KKAiuB4
Zebco 33 O-Ring Replacement (all years): https://youtu.be/NEU56UGzxXo
Big Bass Toothpick Trick: https://youtu.be/QC0emZqU36M
Crappie Tip: https://youtu.be/27AuG3CEpOs
Zebco 33 Restore & Lube: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
More: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSsiJFU2JVh-dfIn1jfZDg/
Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Andrew32198] #13772826 11/16/20 08:17 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
I am not a surf fisherman but your question reminded me about this clearance sale. Looks like a good deal on a decent surf travel rod. Maybe some of the surf fisherman can state if this is a workable solution for rod.

https://charkbait.com/clearance/

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Andrew32198] #13772829 11/16/20 08:18 PM
C
Curt0407 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by Andrew32198
Originally Posted by Curt0407

That's a really good idea, I think I'll do that! My budget is about $200 for the reel and reel combo, hoping to be able to use it in freshwater as well. Any specific suggestions for a reel to buy before I go?

Just did a research. Depending on whether you like baitcast or spinning, here are a couple of choices. I use an ambassadeur 6500 when I fish the surf in Texas. Clean it after you use it in the salt and you are good for the catfish or whatever.

Spinning maybe this.

https://fishermansheadquarters.com/daiwa-black-gold-series-spinning-reel/

Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Curt0407] #13772867 11/16/20 08:39 PM
A
Andrew32198 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I was already thinking about buying an ambassadeur 6500 and a 9'6" Chad Ferguson Whisker Seeker medium heavy casting rod and pairing the two together for bank fishing. That solidifies me wanting to get one (once they're both back in stock!).
I watched some YouTube videos on surf fishing in Cabo, looks like lures are heavily used there, so I think I'll head to that Jansen store to get some of his gear, but also use some bait as well.
Compared with freshwater fishing, how like, patient do you have to be? Is there a standard for how long you wait at a spot before moving? I've always had a 20-30 minute rule and then change locations.
What sorts of features am I looking that indicate a productive spot?

Re: First time surf fishing, advice? [Re: Andrew32198] #13772888 11/16/20 08:56 PM
C
Curt0407 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Look for the birds diving into the water. Birds equal bait.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide