Bait discussion #13772244 11/16/20 01:50 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Morning everyone,

I am wondering what your opinion is on deciding to change color vs. changing the bait type entirely when the bite isn’t happening. I fished all weekend and did pretty well, mostly fished docks, points and some shallow stumps using good old fashioned curly tails. My opinion is to stick with the bait you have confidence fishing and move to different colors if the the bite isn’t great. What do you guys think?

Lots of variables to consider with color(sun/cloudy, murky/clear,etc) but I’ve seen the bite change with the color of flakes I have within the base color.

GR

GR

SunTracker 24XP3 Fishin Barge, 150 Merc, Toon Troll mounted MK trolling motor.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772257 11/16/20 01:57 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
It does matter, somewhat. I truly think it’s the action and presentation more than color.

....and let’s shoot the first person that says, “I let the fish tell me what they want!” Lol. Cop out comments.

#FOLLOWINGINTENSELY.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772284 11/16/20 02:14 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Was fishing a Dallas area local pond this weekend and it was the fish that told me what they wanted. Small worm,1/8th oz weight worked slow, no bites and the gorilla snot bottom kept fowling my rig. Cast it out and felt it get balled up in crud so I jerked it out and reeled it fast enough to keep it up off the bottom. Sure enough a little scrapper hit it on the faster retrieve. Began repeating that process and began having success. Eventually changed to an unweighted worm and open hook arrangement and could basically call my shot at a fish. Now I will grant that these bass were from 4 inches to maybe 9 inches in length but the constant action was fun. Others on the pond were getting skunked. In this case the presentation was everything.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: Bait discussion [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13772358 11/16/20 03:04 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
It does matter, somewhat. I truly think it’s the action and presentation more than color.

....and let’s shoot the first person that says, “I let the fish tell me what they want!” Lol. Cop out comments.

#FOLLOWINGINTENSELY.

Haha, thanks for calling out the folks who will use cop out comments in the beginning! I’ve never had any fish talk to me, that would be weird. wink

I suppose the question is then would you move from say a senko to a rattle trap or would you stick to a senko and maybe fish it a little faster? Just an example as to what you mean.

GR

Re: Bait discussion [Re: Slide_R] #13772359 11/16/20 03:05 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Slide_R
Was fishing a Dallas area local pond this weekend and it was the fish that told me what they wanted. Small worm,1/8th oz weight worked slow, no bites and the gorilla snot bottom kept fowling my rig. Cast it out and felt it get balled up in crud so I jerked it out and reeled it fast enough to keep it up off the bottom. Sure enough a little scrapper hit it on the faster retrieve. Began repeating that process and began having success. Eventually changed to an unweighted worm and open hook arrangement and could basically call my shot at a fish. Now I will grant that these bass were from 4 inches to maybe 9 inches in length but the constant action was fun. Others on the pond were getting skunked. In this case the presentation was everything.

Haha that was an interesting read to say the least, thanks for your input. I have no further questions...

GR

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772380 11/16/20 03:16 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
well I switched from shad to another color last Thursday and it made all the difference. Actually that same color square bill really killed them in the spring too!
Color does count. And it was the fish telling me I was right after the 18 1/8" bass I caught on the first cast.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772415 11/16/20 03:41 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Two guys can be working side by side with the exact same bait; one will be catching and the other will not. Many times it is the ever so slight detail and the slight difference in the technique that makes this difference in success. An example is with painted and unpainted weights in Mexico. Bass like shinny down there and just the weight will produce 2 to 1 with both guys using the Brush Hog.

In small bodies of water, I usually have success on the Beetle Spin with a Sassy Shad type swimmer attached. One morning they will want the flash of that small blade and the next time they will only take the jig head with the Shad swimmer. Color is also a huge indicator in catching. One morning it will be a white bait and next time it will be the darker Bluegill patterns or plane old Watermelon.

Fish to your strength and confidence first; then come back through the area with a color in the same bait of the opposite spectrum. Fishing is all about being where the fish are and developing some kind of pattern as quickly as possible. I enjoy fishing with a partner that loves wearing out his tackle box. Let him do all of the work, while you stick with your confidence rig and colors. If he gets on to something; I am not hard headed; as the change will be made quickly to get on that pattern.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772530 11/16/20 05:01 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
There are indeed many factors to consider when fishing! I guess my question gets too specific as there are so many different angles that could make or break a trip while out fishing. I suppose I am asking what you do in the moment. As a pretty detailed oriented guy, I always think through all of the questions but you have to start somewhere when going though the list of considerations while out on the water. If the fish just aren’t really biting what you’re throwing where do you start your trouble shooting? If I’ve had a few bumps or just caught a couple over an hour or so, I’ll change out colors and continue for a little while. Where do you guys start with the madness?

GR

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772555 11/16/20 05:17 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
The only madness I start is moving to find feeding fish. They are only going to get the few baits that I have thrown for many years. I know they catch fish when feeding.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13772613 11/16/20 05:56 PM
N
NateRich5797 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I also think time of day is a huge overlooked factor. Several times I've just put one bag of plastics in my back pocket. I'd fish for hours with no bite, and then all of a sudden the bite comes to life. No change in presentation, and no change in color.

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13773495 11/17/20 03:44 AM
M
mossyback75 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Keep it simple. Work all three water columns... top, mid, bottom with floating, suspending, and sinking baits in brown, green, or white at varying speeds until you figure out which combination works. Also fish tight to cover vs open water and try vertical vs horizontal presentations as well meaning see if they want it while it's falling. If none of that works throw hot pink baits. Lol

Re: Bait discussion [Re: NateRich5797] #13773611 11/17/20 12:30 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Donald Harper
The only madness I start is moving to find feeding fish. They are only going to get the few baits that I have thrown for many years. I know they catch fish when feeding.

This is true, I think it goes back to Donald Harper’s point about fishing what you’re confident with.

Originally Posted by NateRich5797
I also think time of day is a huge overlooked factor. Several times I've just put one bag of plastics in my back pocket. I'd fish for hours with no bite, and then all of a sudden the bite comes to life. No change in presentation, and no change in color.

I think time of day is important too. I always seem to catch more in the first cpl or last cpl of hours of the day. I have a buddy that will fish a watermelon red senko allllllll day whether it’s catching or not. There are times where it turns on suddenly.

GR

Re: Bait discussion [Re: mossyback75] #13773613 11/17/20 12:31 PM
B
BassPontoon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by mossyback75
Keep it simple. Work all three water columns... top, mid, bottom with floating, suspending, and sinking baits in brown, green, or white at varying speeds until you figure out which combination works. Also fish tight to cover vs open water and try vertical vs horizontal presentations as well meaning see if they want it while it's falling. If none of that works throw hot pink baits. Lol

Lol, sounds about right. “Here is the book of fishing, there are 433490252734 variables. Remember to try everything in it during your 3-5 hr fishing trip. And if not, throw hot pink!” Lol

GR

Re: Bait discussion [Re: BassPontoon] #13773666 11/17/20 01:18 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
action, speed, color, placement all come into play. bass are opportunistic predators and only feed during very small windows throughout the day. find a hungry bass and you can catch them on anything pretty much. the number one key to catching is getting them to react. (why a jig is one of the best presentations ever known) this is where placement comes into play and target fishing is so productive. there was an old study where they put some bass in a solid white tub and they just were spread out randomly. then they painted a black vertical stripe on the side of the tank and every bass positioned themselves with their nose up against it. bass on cover are usually lazy just hanging out but if something comes in front of them with the right speed, action, color etc they will react to hit and strike. you can literally drop a rock in front of a bass and they will strike it if it is falling at the right speed in the right spot. they move and chase when feeding but think about how often during a 24 hour day you are actually hungry or eating, not often. their brain is the size of a pea so don't over think it. all they know is food, shelter and reproduction. finding them is the hard part, 90% of the bass are in 10% of the lake. if you are only targeting feeding fish, your gonna have some long days. fish

Re: Bait discussion [Re: mossyback75] #13773989 11/17/20 04:47 PM
J
JoseyWales34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by mossyback75

I think this right here has been the best advice ever given on this forum! Nothing has made more sense to me, being new to bass fishing.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide