Forums59
Topics1,038,778
Posts13,952,615
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13758015 11/05/20 06:13 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Ive bought custom rods claiming to be better than NRX rods... so far NONE have been close not even in the same zip code for feeling bottom and bites.
[/quote]

Sorry Mr. Jeff--Sounds like you just haven't found the right builder!!! LOL All joking aside, the basis for a great rod is the blank. The problem with many builders is they will sell you a build using an inferior blank because once its built many can't tell the difference between a $300 blank and a $50 blank! Many manufacturers build their own blanks and do not sell them to the public, GLoomis is no exception BUT Gary Loomis started another company (Edge Rods) a few years ago and also sells blanks to the public under the North Fork Composites brand name (NFC). I'm not sure how he came about it but is building a few blanks under the GLX2, and IMX names which I assume he builds with the same materials as GL does---He did after all design them before he sold GLoomis to Shimano??? NFC sells these particular blanks for just under $300 and sometimes have sales where they can be had for WAY less (I have 4 of each on order now). I have built many rods over the last couple of years using NFC XRay, Delta and Classic series blanks and can tell you they are without a doubt just as sensitive as any GLoomis or other HM rod.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13758021 11/05/20 06:16 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by haleywp
Bulletman99, to post pictures in the boxes below the Quick Reply in the middle is a symbol of a photo with an arrow pointing up. Once you have written your text click on the simple and it will ask where the file is (photo) is stored you would like to add. Once you have added your photos click upload. Hope this helps. Would love to see your photos.

I've tried that several times. It allows me to choose the file and acts like its uploading but then goes to the forum, home page???

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Bulletman99] #13758076 11/05/20 06:44 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bulletman99
Ive bought custom rods claiming to be better than NRX rods... so far NONE have been close not even in the same zip code for feeling bottom and bites.

Sorry Mr. Jeff--Sounds like you just haven't found the right builder!!! LOL All joking aside, the basis for a great rod is the blank. The problem with many builders is they will sell you a build using an inferior blank because once its built many can't tell the difference between a $300 blank and a $50 blank! Many manufacturers build their own blanks and do not sell them to the public, GLoomis is no exception BUT Gary Loomis started another company (Edge Rods) a few years ago and also sells blanks to the public under the North Fork Composites brand name (NFC). I'm not sure how he came about it but is building a few blanks under the GLX2, and IMX names which I assume he builds with the same materials as GL does---He did after all design them before he sold GLoomis to Shimano??? NFC sells these particular blanks for just under $300 and sometimes have sales where they can be had for WAY less (I have 4 of each on order now). I have built many rods over the last couple of years using NFC XRay, Delta and Classic series blanks and can tell you they are without a doubt just as sensitive as any GLoomis or other HM rod.[/quote]

Well aware of NFC and EDGE.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13758113 11/05/20 07:17 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Well ..... You have been buying either the wrong rod for the purpose, or buying from the wrong builder.

I always guaranteed that my rods will perform better than a factory rod FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSE or I'll take it back. Never had one returned yet. No rod will perform well with the wrong line or bait attached. Not saying that's the case with you, but your statement is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Well there ya go Jeff. Sounds like a no lose situation. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: fivebites] #13758255 11/05/20 08:49 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by fivebites

Well ..... You have been buying either the wrong rod for the purpose, or buying from the wrong builder.

I always guaranteed that my rods will perform better than a factory rod FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSE or I'll take it back. Never had one returned yet. No rod will perform well with the wrong line or bait attached. Not saying that's the case with you, but your statement is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Well there ya go Jeff. Sounds like a no lose situation. Give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

That was in the past when I built regularly.

Not sure I would want to participate in that one ...... Sounds like a pretty strong opinion already ......

I don't manufacture for general sales anymore anyway. Just for close friends and family.

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13758285 11/05/20 09:04 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by fivebites

That was in the past when I built regularly.

Not sure I would want to participate in that one ...... Sounds like a pretty strong opinion already ......

I don't manufacture for general sales anymore anyway. Just for close friends and family.

Nrx 853 is a mh fast rod. Used for contact baits. Tatsu is the only line I use 15/20.

Ive never once seen someone say xxx rod is better than a Nrx sensitivity wise. Cost, balance sure, tons of rods are cheaper, lighter and better balanced.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13771862 11/16/20 12:36 AM
C
Crick Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Your thought on Ehge rods or Kistler rods Sir? Some of these rods are cost effective, for weekend fishermen.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Bulletman99] #13773442 11/17/20 02:57 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Bulletman99

Sorry Mr. Jeff--Sounds like you just haven't found the right builder!!! LOL All joking aside, the basis for a great rod is the blank. The problem with many builders is they will sell you a build using an inferior blank because once its built many can't tell the difference between a $300 blank and a $50 blank! Many manufacturers build their own blanks and do not sell them to the public, GLoomis is no exception BUT Gary Loomis started another company (Edge Rods) a few years ago and also sells blanks to the public under the North Fork Composites brand name (NFC). I'm not sure how he came about it but is building a few blanks under the GLX2, and IMX names which I assume he builds with the same materials as GL does---He did after all design them before he sold GLoomis to Shimano??? NFC sells these particular blanks for just under $300 and sometimes have sales where they can be had for WAY less (I have 4 of each on order now). I have built many rods over the last couple of years using NFC XRay, Delta and Classic series blanks and can tell you they are without a doubt just as sensitive as any GLoomis or other HM rod.[/quote]

I agree with Jeff on this one and no matter who builds the rod or how you build it the sensitivity of the rod depends mostly on the blank and the reel seat The Conquest NRX and Shimano Adrena are some of the most sensitive rods on the market. If you are not building a rod that uses these same rod blanks it will not be as sensitive.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13773450 11/17/20 03:05 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

So what is the wrong line or bait to use that will cause a rod to not perform? Many years ago when I first started fishing only fiberglass rods were out and monofilament line was the only thing out there and I caught fish on it. I fished soft plastic worms, spinner baits and crank baits on it and it seemed to work just fine.

What do you do extra that makes the rods you build make them better?

Last edited by ezbassin; 11/17/20 03:06 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide