Page 1 of 2 1 2
How to find the right rod for next purchase #13756557 11/04/20 04:40 PM
H
haleywp Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Attached is a good article on choosing the right rod found on Anglers Resource website. This might help in the selection of your next rod. There is also an article on proper guide spacing for maximum power (how to static load) test a rod that is a good read.

https://anglersresource.net/read/5-tips-for-choosing-the-right-rod/

https://anglersresource.net/static-load-tutorial/

Enjoy
Pat Haley

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757204 11/05/20 12:57 AM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
They don’t make billy westmoreland rods anymore!

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757569 11/05/20 12:54 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
This isn't anything custom rod builders haven't already been doing for many many years. Folks pay outrageous prices for GLoomis, Shimano, Power Tackle and other rods but don't know they can get a custom rod that is as good or better in performance usually with a much cheaper price tag all along getting it custom built how they want it (Choice of thread colors, seats, handles, guides, decals, and custom thread work). Most all big name rod manufacturers won't spend the 20 seconds it takes to properly spine a rod before setting everything up. This is more so important on a rod you cast all day vs. a flipping/pitching rod. An out-of-spine rod will be a less accurate rod and leads to hand fatigue because of the twist. As the link above talks about having the guides properly spaced, which also helps with accuracy and less line fatigue. Place 2 of the same type of rods together at any store and we all know the guides are placed at the same measurements throughout the rods length. Because NO 2 blanks are identical, the guides may be close to where they need to be but still they are basically improperly spaced. How many times have you checked out a rod and liked it's action, weight or whatever but didn't like something else about it?? Pickup any GLoomis rod and look at the VERY low grade, cheap cork handles they put on them! We bass fisherman want lightweight, sensitive rods but Cork and EVA "Absorb" vibration instead of transmit vibration as will the new carbon fiber handles. There is only one manufacturer of bass rods I am aware of that even offers them. Yes they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. Similarly, most reel seats you get on these so call "High End" rods are made of plastic, or a nylon composite and cost them on average about $2-$5! There are also carbon fiber reel seats these days that transmit vibration better and are much lighter and stronger. This year, American tackle and NFC have came out with some great carbon fiber seats and handle kits that are amazing and will have even more things in the near future. Yes I am a custom builder but I am not telling you guys this to solicit work. People don't know these and a lot of other information I haven't mentioned, I simply wanted to inform people of them.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757609 11/05/20 01:26 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
While we’re talking custom rods, I figured I’d show off a few.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757744 11/05/20 03:08 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I would but I can't figure out how to post pictures

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757784 11/05/20 03:36 PM
G
Gruber Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I prefer a Tennessee cork handle for comfort and place my index finger on the rod just about the handle for feeling the strike

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Gruber] #13757830 11/05/20 04:13 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by Gruber
I prefer a Tennessee cork handle for comfort and place my index finger on the rod just about the handle for feeling the strike

Tennessee handles have been my preference for years. But the graphite tubes beat the cork handles by a mile. Try one if you haven't already.

A rod I have "in progress" currently for a client ........

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Hair Jig; 11/05/20 04:18 PM.

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757844 11/05/20 04:22 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
HUCKLEBERRY:

Very nice work Sir! I did that for many years as some of my clients demanded it. But in the long run it just adds weight to the rod (especially when done above the handle) and serves no real purpose.

It DOES look good though.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13757901 11/05/20 05:02 PM
B
Bulletman99 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
HUCKLEBERRY:

Very nice work Sir! I did that for many years as some of my clients demanded it. But in the long run it just adds weight to the rod (especially when done above the handle) and serves no real purpose.

Carbon Fiber handles are lighter in weight than any other material.

Bullet 20XD
Merc 250 ProXS
Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13757917 11/05/20 05:12 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
HUCKLEBERRY:

Thank You. Exactly why I did the decorative wrap below the grip, I welcome the small amount of added weight to make the tip a tad lighter than what it would be.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Hair Jig] #13757933 11/05/20 05:21 PM
H
haleywp Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Bulletman99, I too am a custom rod builder. I have never sold a rod and only build for myself, family, and friends. Below are some photos of 4 of my builds. These are NFC X-ray blanks with the NFC Soft Touch grips. 2 of the rods have titanium guides I started making out of titanium 18 GA and 20 GA titanium wire. I even built the tip tops on those 2 rods out of titanium wire with an aluminum tube. It is fun to build a rod then go out and catch a fish on it. Rod building is simple, there are lots of you-tube vids, and the stuff to get started will pay for itself fast. I have 5 NFC blanks in shipment now. That will complete all 8 NFC X-ray blanks and 1 X-ray NEO blank. Some were bought at half price and the last 5 were seventy-five percent off. NFC now needs to put their Soft Touch grips on sale. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: haleywp] #13757944 11/05/20 05:28 PM
H
haleywp Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Bulletman99, to post pictures in the boxes below the Quick Reply in the middle is a symbol of a photo with an arrow pointing up. Once you have written your text click on the simple and it will ask where the file is (photo) is stored you would like to add. Once you have added your photos click upload. Hope this helps. Would love to see your photos.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Bulletman99] #13757962 11/05/20 05:39 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by Bulletman99
HUCKLEBERRY:

Carbon Fiber handles are lighter in weight than any other material.

Who was debating that? That's why I use them on my spinning rod builds. Unless the customer demands cork.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Bulletman99] #13758000 11/05/20 05:55 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bulletman99
This isn't anything custom rod builders haven't already been doing for many many years. Folks pay outrageous prices for GLoomis, Shimano, Power Tackle and other rods but don't know they can get a custom rod that is as good or better in performance usually with a much cheaper price tag all along getting it custom built how they want it (Choice of thread colors, seats, handles, guides, decals, and custom thread work). Most all big name rod manufacturers won't spend the 20 seconds it takes to properly spine a rod before setting everything up. This is more so important on a rod you cast all day vs. a flipping/pitching rod. An out-of-spine rod will be a less accurate rod and leads to hand fatigue because of the twist. As the link above talks about having the guides properly spaced, which also helps with accuracy and less line fatigue. Place 2 of the same type of rods together at any store and we all know the guides are placed at the same measurements throughout the rods length. Because NO 2 blanks are identical, the guides may be close to where they need to be but still they are basically improperly spaced. How many times have you checked out a rod and liked it's action, weight or whatever but didn't like something else about it?? Pickup any GLoomis rod and look at the VERY low grade, cheap cork handles they put on them! We bass fisherman want lightweight, sensitive rods but Cork and EVA "Absorb" vibration instead of transmit vibration as will the new carbon fiber handles. There is only one manufacturer of bass rods I am aware of that even offers them. Yes they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. Similarly, most reel seats you get on these so call "High End" rods are made of plastic, or a nylon composite and cost them on average about $2-$5! There are also carbon fiber reel seats these days that transmit vibration better and are much lighter and stronger. This year, American tackle and NFC have came out with some great carbon fiber seats and handle kits that are amazing and will have even more things in the near future. Yes I am a custom builder but I am not telling you guys this to solicit work. People don't know these and a lot of other information I haven't mentioned, I simply wanted to inform people of them.

Ive bought custom rods claiming to be better than NRX rods... so far NONE have been close not even in the same zip code for feeling bottom and bites.

Re: How to find the right rod for next purchase [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13758010 11/05/20 06:00 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Ive bought custom rods claiming to be better than NRX rods... so far NONE have been close not even in the same zip code for feeling bottom and bites.

Well ..... You have been buying either the wrong rod for the purpose, or buying from the wrong builder.

I always guaranteed that my rods will perform better than a factory rod FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSE or I'll take it back. Never had one returned yet. No rod will perform well with the wrong line or bait attached. Not saying that's the case with you, but your statement is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide