Print Thread
Proportions Questions #13751780 11/01/20 12:51 PM
B
Bones72 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I'm coming to the world of jig tying from the darkest corners of fly tying. IN tying flies there are some general proportions that must be adhered to in order to get flies to look right or in the case of dry flies in order to even do what they are supposed ie land upright and float. Some patterns even have their own proportions. Of course there are some allowable deviances.

In regards to jig tying are there some general guidelines? Are those guidelines different in different materials such as a hackle tip tail as opposed to marabou?

Thanks in advance,
bones

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Bones72] #13752150 11/01/20 04:40 PM
P
pepop Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
IDK about any "Hard & Fast" rules but I always heard (though I don't always adhere to) "one shouldn't wrap the body material past the barb of the hook"

Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Bones72] #13752294 11/01/20 07:14 PM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
What Pepop said is about the only proportion I've heard of. Over the years, I've come to like shorter tails, whether marabou or hackle. Something about a compact jig body that crappie like "most" of the time. But at times that little longer marabou tail undulating back and forth can get one to bite also. Crappie are just too picky but that's what makes it so much fun.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Ken Gaby] #13752494 11/01/20 11:00 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
What Pepop said is about the only proportion I've heard of. Over the years, I've come to like shorter tails, whether marabou or hackle. Something about a compact jig body that crappie like "most" of the time. But at times that little longer marabou tail undulating back and forth can get one to bite also. Crappie are just too picky but that's what makes it so much fun.

I agree with all said here..... Especially that lady sentence.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Bones72] #13753094 11/02/20 11:46 AM
B
Bones72 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
I will agree with that also; Crappie are some finnicky critters. I have been tying a shorter tail and starting the body material between the barb and the point. I was just seeing if I was doing it right. In general with fly tying hackle on dries should equal the distance between the shank and where the point, tails on dires should equal the shank length. Sreamers should extend two times the shank length. Just making sure there weren't any rules I was breaking.

I cant wait to cant to get my orders of supplies in. Just wish there was some place to do some "one stop shopping".I think I got enough to tie for the month. I must say though I am very impressed with Crazyangler. The chenille they carry is just awesome. Of course I have to check out Skip that's on here too and see what he has to offer. Nest big purchase will be a fluid bed for painting and a used toaster oven for the same.

Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Bones72] #13753357 11/02/20 02:28 PM
S
Skip_48 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Much more free to do what you want, but just for a bit of here is what I do and most really. The chenille (body) on flies generally go to the bend of the hook and on jigs it's more stops at the hook point or barb. Other than that you just do what you like and really even that if you like the body going to the bend of the hook then do that, but it will look a little funny to jig guys.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
colors of Marabou plus other things![/color]

Re: Proportions Questions [Re: Skip_48] #13754182 11/03/20 12:46 AM
F
FlyFX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted by Bones72
I will agree with that also; Crappie are some finnicky critters. I have been tying a shorter tail and starting the body material between the barb and the point. I was just seeing if I was doing it right. In general with fly tying hackle on dries should equal the distance between the shank and where the point, tails on dires should equal the shank length. Sreamers should extend two times the shank length. Just making sure there weren't any rules I was breaking.

I cant wait to cant to get my orders of supplies in. Just wish there was some place to do some "one stop shopping".I think I got enough to tie for the month. I must say though I am very impressed with Crazyangler. The chenille they carry is just awesome. Of course I have to check out Skip that's on here too and see what he has to offer. Nest big purchase will be a fluid bed for painting and a used toaster oven for the same.

Originally Posted by Skip_48
Much more free to do what you want, but just for a bit of here is what I do and most really. The chenille (body) on flies generally go to the bend of the hook and on jigs it's more stops at the hook point or barb. Other than that you just do what you like and really even that if you like the body going to the bend of the hook then do that, but it will look a little funny to jig guys.

Skip

Bones72, it's your vice tie what you like or what works for your fish. Crazy Angler does have great chenille and other products. Skip has some good products also.

Skip48, Good points on tying. So jig guys are finicky too?

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Re: Proportions Questions [Re: FlyFX] #13768344 11/13/20 01:26 AM
B
BigDave1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Don't get the tails too long. I usually let the hook size determine the length of the tail. I prefer the hook point to be close to the center of the jig. Stops a lot of short strikes.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide