Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: Dubee] #13749233 10/30/20 01:42 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Yes that's an Oscar. You can release any fish you catch immediately back into the water, the state can't force you to kill an animal if you choose not to 2cents

Yes you can release any fish you want. You can also be ticketed

You can also not be ticketed and act like nothing happen, Similar to when this game warden got caught illegally poaching deer a few years ago.

Chris Fried and he is still working

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/5/wounded-game-warden-avoided-felony-illegal-hunting/

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: RedRanger] #13749352 10/30/20 03:08 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Yes that's an Oscar. You can release any fish you catch immediately back into the water, the state can't force you to kill an animal if you choose not to 2cents

You can also not be ticketed and act like nothing happen, Similar to when this game warden got caught illegally poaching deer a few years ago.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/5/wounded-game-warden-avoided-felony-illegal-hunting/

That still makes my blood boil.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13749363 10/30/20 03:13 PM
B
Bentman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I wonder how it would taste?

[Linked Image]
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13749416 10/30/20 04:04 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
This was a private pond correct?

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: BMCD] #13749422 10/30/20 04:07 PM
JJ4MEL Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by BMCD

It was in a public waterbody

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: RedRanger] #13749904 10/30/20 11:42 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I don't think anyone on here would get it swept under the rug like that dbag. He should be locked up not doing episodes of lone star law and handing out tickets.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: JJ4MEL] #13754955 11/03/20 03:29 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted by Bentman63

If you're asking about the Oscar, I can report it tasted just fine. Like Tilapia.

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

Yep, it was in a pond at a public park. One of the ponds that gets stocked with trout.

Originally Posted by 9094

But you will be breaking the law. There is a reason the state wants them destroyed or eaten. Look at The serious problems with invasive species in this countries waters. Asian carp, snakeheads, etc.

Here's what it says: "An angler who retains a grass carp caught in public water must immediately remove the intestines, except in waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." This means that you can choose whether or not to retain it.

Another one: "It is unlawful to: Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." A fish is not considered in your possession if you catch and release it without putting it on a stringer or in a cooler or other retaining device.

Catch and release of any species is therefore legal fish

I think you're quoting from the website, but the website sometimes doesn't use language that 100% tracks the statutes/rules. The statute and administrative rule I posted above prohibit not just possession, but also "place into the public water" and "release into the water."

See also... https://www.mrt.com/lifestyle/trave...is-taking-over-Texas-waters-15089443.php
TPWD is labeling tilapia as invasive because they are having a detrimental impact on native fish such as catfish and largemouth bass, said Mitch Nisbet, the department's fisheries biologist. . . . Nisbet said it is illegal to release tilapia back into the lakes, adding that a game warden would likely give an angler a ticket if caught.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13755355 11/03/20 08:45 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Someone caught what was believed to be a piranha in Lake Lavon. I think it was late 90's or early 2000's.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13757166 11/05/20 12:28 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D

Please read the TPWD guidelines and don't just trust what someone said on a public forum. TPWD can require you to kill/keep a fish and not release it. Crappie on certain water bodies during specific seasons, Invasive Tilapia. Just for a couple of examples.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: David Burton] #13757940 11/05/20 05:25 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Please read the TPWD guidelines and don't just trust what someone said on a public forum. TPWD can require you to kill/keep a fish and not release it. Crappie on certain water bodies during specific seasons, Invasive Tilapia. Just for a couple of examples.
I've read them through and through as I catch and release everything and don't want to run afoul of the law. I went ahead and messaged TPWD for further comment - here's my email and their response below.

Me: "If I were to catch an invasive species on rod and reel (Grass Carp, Tilapia, etc.), am I allowed to release it back into the water if I don't want to keep it to eat or use as bait?"

TPWD: "While tilapia and Grass Carp are prohibited species in Texas, catch and release fishing is permitted.

If these fish are kept, they must be beheaded or gutted upon possession--before putting them in a cooler or on a stringer.

If Grass Carp are caught in waters where they have been stocked, they must immediately be returned to the water unharmed. Here's a list of those water bodies: https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/environconcerns/nuisance_plants/public_tgc_permits.phtml

Regards,

Monica E. McGarrity
Senior Scientist for Aquatic Invasive Species Management
Inland Fisheries Division - Habitat Conservation Branch
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
4200 Smith School Rd., Austin, TX 78744"

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13758052 11/05/20 06:30 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by pavlaugh
Originally Posted by Bentman63

If you're asking about the Oscar, I can report it tasted just fine. Like Tilapia.

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL

Yep, it was in a pond at a public park. One of the ponds that gets stocked with trout.

Originally Posted by 9094

But you will be breaking the law. There is a reason the state wants them destroyed or eaten. Look at The serious problems with invasive species in this countries waters. Asian carp, snakeheads, etc.

Here's what it says: "An angler who retains a grass carp caught in public water must immediately remove the intestines, except in waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." This means that you can choose whether or not to retain it.

Another one: "It is unlawful to: Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." A fish is not considered in your possession if you catch and release it without putting it on a stringer or in a cooler or other retaining device.

Catch and release of any species is therefore legal fish

I think you're quoting from the website, but the website sometimes doesn't use language that 100% tracks the statutes/rules. The statute and administrative rule I posted above prohibit not just possession, but also "place into the public water" and "release into the water."

See also... https://www.mrt.com/lifestyle/trave...is-taking-over-Texas-waters-15089443.php
TPWD is labeling tilapia as invasive because they are having a detrimental impact on native fish such as catfish and largemouth bass, said Mitch Nisbet, the department's fisheries biologist. . . . Nisbet said it is illegal to release tilapia back into the lakes, adding that a game warden would likely give an angler a ticket if caught.

You are going to have to come up with a stronger source than the Midland Reporter Telegram.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13758217 11/05/20 08:20 PM
S
SoonerDG Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
S
I've read them through and through as I catch and release everything and don't want to run afoul of the law. I went ahead and messaged TPWD for further comment - here's my email and their response below.

Me: "If I were to catch an invasive species on rod and reel (Grass Carp, Tilapia, etc.), am I allowed to release it back into the water if I don't want to keep it to eat or use as bait?"

TPWD: "While tilapia and Grass Carp are prohibited species in Texas, catch and release fishing is permitted.

If these fish are kept, they must be beheaded or gutted upon possession--before putting them in a cooler or on a stringer.

If Grass Carp are caught in waters where they have been stocked, they must immediately be returned to the water unharmed. Here's a list of those water bodies: https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/water/environconcerns/nuisance_plants/public_tgc_permits.phtml

Regards,

Monica E. McGarrity

Don't fish fork from December to end of February then!

[Linked Image]

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: SoonerDG] #13758980 11/06/20 05:07 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by SoonerDG

Regards,

Monica E. McGarrity

Don't fish fork from December to end of February then!

[Linked Image]

Or Lake O' The Pines:

Or Squaw Creek - Special regulations that require retaining all Tilapia or leaving them on the bank.

Last edited by David Burton; 11/06/20 05:08 AM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13759610 11/06/20 05:56 PM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Help yourself and help your water and take them out. The ones that do make it in the new environment are eating the resources and using cover that the natives need. Don't get me started on how they push out the natives of their spawning habitats! Ive released my share of Tilapia but now I take em smooth out and feed em to the raccoons, different passer byers or take em home myself if I've got my stringer or bucket. Help your local fish population!

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide