Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? #13743334 10/25/20 06:34 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I caught this fish in a local pond. Never seen one before. I'm looking for a second opinion. I think it's an Oscar? A non-TPWD website said it's invasive and illegal to return to the water. Is that true? I was doing catch and release but ended up keeping this one because of that website.

Thanks for the help.

[Linked Image]

Says illegal to release: http://texassunfish.blogspot.com/2011/09/exotic-fishes-in-texas-waters_4435.html?m=1

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13743375 10/25/20 06:55 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Looks like an Oscar to me. A lot of these fish are put into ponds and water bodies by people getting rid of their Aquarium Fish. They simply put them in a pond, creek, lake, or river. Some species have adapted and have even produced. Usually the survival rate is low because of predictor fish and the ability not being able to survive in the wild. thumb

Side Note: They need to be taken out of public waters when caught. eeks

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13743469 10/25/20 08:12 PM
Medinalakeguy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
One ugly fish no matter what it is.

Falcon Rods > G.Loomis
2004 Skeeter ZX250
JIMBO WINBO
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13743481 10/25/20 08:23 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Thanks for the help! I did keep it and debated what to do with it. Apparently these fish are regularly caught in the Carolinas and Florida and eaten. So I filleted it up. It's supposed to taste like Tilapia. We'll see!

I was surprised to see that it is actually listed on the TPWD state freshwater records w/rod and reel. That seems kind of weird since it's not native and probably a released aquarium fish, no? I see other non-native fish on the list... This one was just shy of a foot long. Apparently I should have weighed and taken more pictures!

Last edited by pavlaugh; 10/25/20 08:25 PM.
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: Medinalakeguy] #13743484 10/25/20 08:24 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
One ugly fish no matter what it is.

I can report it was not only ugly, but also very slimy!

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13743585 10/25/20 10:11 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Yes that's an Oscar. You can release any fish you catch immediately back into the water, the state can't force you to kill an animal if you choose not to 2cents

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13744059 10/26/20 11:54 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by TXMulti-Species
Yes that's an Oscar. You can release any fish you catch immediately back into the water, the state can't force you to kill an animal if you choose not to 2cents

Yes you can release any fish you want. You can also be ticketed

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13744211 10/26/20 02:37 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
The fish is a red oscar (Astronotus ocellated). It is a variant coloration of the oscar, an orange and black colored fish. The red oscar is a common aquarium fish. Although it is an exotic species, it is not specifically prohibited in Texas. Tilapia are the only prohibited cichlid family species in Texas.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/species/exotic/prohibited_aquatic.phtml

Unique species should always prompt a check of the record books. As I state in my book, The Art of Fishing for Records, “Certain states limit records to common or native fish found within the state, while others do not exclude introduced or unique species.” If your fish was caught in a private waterbody it would have been a state record and may have been a state record in a public waterbody.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13744234 10/26/20 03:10 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I'll leave the ethics question up for debate. Upon further research, however, I don't think it would be illegal to return this fish to the water.

It is a ticketable offense to release "exotic harmful or potentially harmful fish." Tex. Parks & Wildlife Code Section 66.007 ; Rule 57.112(b)(1). That term, as defined under Rule 57.111(15), does not include Oscar or any genus/species for Oscar fish (Astronotus ocellatus). Rule 57.111(15).

It was illegal for the original person to release this fish into the pond without a permit. Tex. Park & Wildlife Code 66.015 . But the administrative code clarifies that you can release any nongame fish you catch without a permit so long as you are doing so while fishing. Rule 57.252(g)

My reading of the laws and administrative rules suggest that, while fishing, you can legally release any fish you catch so long as it is not one of the specifically identified "exotic harmful or potentially harmful fish."

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13744255 10/26/20 03:24 PM
P
pavlaugh Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Unique species should always prompt a check of the record books. As I state in my book, The Art of Fishing for Records, “Certain states limit records to common or native fish found within the state, while others do not exclude introduced or unique species.” If your fish was caught in a private waterbody it would have been a state record and may have been a state record in a public waterbody.

Oof, I definitely should have done this! It was in a public waterbody and was right on the nose length-wise for a record. Thanks for the advice and info!

Last edited by pavlaugh; 10/26/20 03:24 PM.
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13744348 10/26/20 04:37 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by pavlaugh
Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

Oof, I definitely should have done this! It was in a public waterbody and was right on the nose length-wise for a record. Thanks for the advice and info!

I am sorry you lost a potential record, if that is something you are interested in, but if you pay attention there will be more record catches for you in the future. I started watching for records after I caught and released an IGFA line class world record jack crevalle without getting enough documentation to get the record. Helping to prevent this situation for other anglers was the main reason I wrote my book. Let us know when you get a record.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13748807 10/30/20 12:33 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

But you will be breaking the law. There is a reason the state wants them destroyed or eaten. Look at The serious problems with invasive species in this countries waters. Asian carp, snakeheads, etc.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: 9094] #13749044 10/30/20 05:30 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by 9094

But you will be breaking the law. There is a reason the state wants them destroyed or eaten. Look at The serious problems with invasive species in this countries waters. Asian carp, snakeheads, etc.

Here's what it says: "An angler who retains a grass carp caught in public water must immediately remove the intestines, except in waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." This means that you can choose whether or not to retain it.

Another one: "It is unlawful to: Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." A fish is not considered in your possession if you catch and release it without putting it on a stringer or in a cooler or other retaining device.

Catch and release of any species is therefore legal fish

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13749084 10/30/20 11:16 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 9094

Here's what it says: "An angler who retains a grass carp caught in public water must immediately remove the intestines, except in waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." This means that you can choose whether or not to retain it.

Another one: "It is unlawful to: Possess tilapia, grass carp or any other fish listed as harmful or potentially harmful, without immediately removing the head or intestines, except on waters where a valid Triploid Grass Carp Permit is in effect." A fish is not considered in your possession if you catch and release it without putting it on a stringer or in a cooler or other retaining device.

Catch and release of any species is therefore legal fish

Or you can take into consideration the reason our fisheries biologist want them removed and do your part to help.... that’s part of being a sportsman. If you don’t have the stomach for it perhaps golf would be a more suitable hobby.

Re: Fish ID. Oscar? Illegal to release? [Re: pavlaugh] #13749150 10/30/20 12:47 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They've been in the waterways of south Florida for I know at least 35 years, I used to catch them in the canals when I was a kid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide