texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Ol Thumper, FishingHouYW, OB-OG, QuailHollow, WTJ
114130 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 98,660
hopalong 91,616
Pilothawk 80,535
John175☮ 77,911
Bigbob_FTW 69,087
JDavis7873 67,400
Derek 🐝 65,572
Mark Perry 61,396
Tritonman 59,010
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums62
Topics1,135,835
Posts15,484,999
Members139,130
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration #13735970 10/19/20 05:49 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 696
B. Dill Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 696
Can someone help me out here?

Bought a boat in FL. Got the boat and motor titles @ TPWD with no problem.

All I have for the trailer is a signed bill of sale and application for title. FL, like Texas, doesn't require a trailer of this weight to be titled. I do not have the previous owners FL registration receipt and the tax office is giving me a hard time... talking about bonded titles, inspections and other [censored]. I can't get in touch with the seller and honestly, I never keep my registration receipts so I think this is a ridiculous ask of me anyway.

Anyone gone through the same thing before that can provide some advice?

Last edited by B. Dill; 10/19/20 05:51 PM.
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13735998 10/19/20 06:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 91,616
hopalong Offline
Pumpkin Head
Offline
Pumpkin Head
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 91,616
just register it, no title. weight determines how you can register in Tx.

Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/VTR-130-UIF.pdf


" Hop, set the hook"!


lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: hopalong] #13736044 10/19/20 07:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 696
B. Dill Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 696
Originally Posted by hopalong
just register it, no title. weight determines how you can register in Tx.

Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/trailers

https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/form_files/VTR-130-UIF.pdf


I guess I made a mistake when I told the lady I needed to title and register it. You're saying just register it? I don't have the previous owners Florida registration receipt and no way to get it. She made it sound like this is what was creating all the problems.

Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13736288 10/19/20 11:33 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 91,616
hopalong Offline
Pumpkin Head
Offline
Pumpkin Head
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 91,616
less than 4k gross you don't have to title, just register. bill of sale should be enough.


" Hop, set the hook"!


lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13736399 10/20/20 12:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 379
L
lurenthewind Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 379
If it is registered in Texas for more than 1500# GVW it has to have brakes and it has to be inspected by DPS.


Wayne


Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: lurenthewind] #13736420 10/20/20 01:02 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,148
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
S
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,148
Originally Posted by lurenthewind
If it is registered in Texas for more than 1500# GVW it has to have brakes and it has to be inspected by DPS.


Wayne

Not true. Cutoff is 4501 for inspection. Mine has 7500 carrying capacity. Bought in LA. I had to get inspected and weigh with boat. I then subtracted the boat and motor weight to get net trailer weight. Also apparently in LA they don't require plates. It did not even have a bracket for one and no registration. Bill of sale, scale ticket, and inspection was a i needed. I did have a LA title but in LA they don't have weight on the title.

Last edited by Stump jumper; 10/20/20 01:06 AM.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13736583 10/20/20 02:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,398
ssmith Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,398
they are requiring inspections on out of state trailers an so called homemade trailer to get them transferred to registration or title.

Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13736980 10/20/20 02:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 379
L
lurenthewind Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
L
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 379
OOPS, I meant 4500#, not 1500#. But brakes are required for anything over 4500# GVW except things like farm trailers that are pulled at very slow speeds.

Wayne


Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13746635 10/28/20 02:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,080
steve@hydrodynamics Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,080
it costs a whopping $28.00 for a trailer title... it's worth that !!! 100%

for those wondering about titling a trailer.. if you ever go to sell or trade later.. .GET A TITLE!!


www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225




Re: Out of State Boat TRAILER Registration [Re: B. Dill] #13769213 11/13/20 07:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 474
J
JonBoater Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
J
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by B. Dill
Can someone help me out here?

Bought a boat in FL. Got the boat and motor titles @ TPWD with no problem.

All I have for the trailer is a signed bill of sale and application for title. FL, like Texas, doesn't require a trailer of this weight to be titled. I do not have the previous owners FL registration receipt and the tax office is giving me a hard time... talking about bonded titles, inspections and other [censored]. I can't get in touch with the seller and honestly, I never keep my registration receipts so I think this is a ridiculous ask of me anyway.

Anyone gone through the same thing before that can provide some advice?


Curious how you made out with your registration? I just went through the same. Bought boat & trailer from Florida. Took Bill of Sale, Title application, and thankfully the seller had an old registration receipt. The old registration has to have the weight or it doesn't do you any good by the way.

My obstacle was the outboard title. Florida like many states doesn't title outboards. I am still working on this actually. Had to make a new bill of sale that had outboard broken out as well as have the seller sign an affidavit of fact there isn't a title out there already. What a pain...


Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3