texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,007
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,485
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,600
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for experience- San Luis Pass #13708236 09/22/20 08:37 PM
rebait Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Looking for someone with knowledge and experience at San Luis Pass to tell me how long after this storm will fishing be off at San Luis Pass bays. We are planning trip Oct. 12-16. Any thoughts?

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13708375 09/22/20 11:26 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
i'd think everything would be back to normal by then. if a cold front will blow thru before then it might be exceptional.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13708923 09/23/20 02:42 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
That weekend should be fantastic, looking at the moon phases (tides4fishing.com). Especially if you get a cold front you'll kill the flounder and reds.

Wild card could be another storm in the Gulf though.

Here's a few places on the west end of Galveston that I used to fish/catch bait. Hope it helps: https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...2/re-hows-galveston-fishing#Post13690182

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13709288 09/23/20 09:36 PM
rebait Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Thanks. Probably did not make myself clear on what I was asking looking back on my original post. I have a lot of experience fishing at San Luis Pass. We fish it for a week in July and also 4-5 days in October and have for many years. I don't however remember fishing it so close after a tropical storm. What changes will it cause to normal fishing pattern if at all.

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13710821 09/25/20 04:14 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
BTW......flounder minimum has changed to 15" if ya catch any...

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13711071 09/25/20 02:36 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by rebait
Thanks. Probably did not make myself clear on what I was asking looking back on my original post. I have a lot of experience fishing at San Luis Pass. We fish it for a week in July and also 4-5 days in October and have for many years. I don't however remember fishing it so close after a tropical storm. What changes will it cause to normal fishing pattern if at all.

The storm probably made some changes to the cuts/shore, but they'll still be mostly where you left them last smile You may still be getting some runoff from the Brazos, so water turbidities/salinities may be messed up a little, that usually takes 1-2 weeks for all the rain from the hill country to make it to the coast.

My folks still live on the west end (Bay Harbor, ~2 miles from SLP), I think the tide was wonky yesterday/day before. That should be over by the weekend, you should be fine the weekend you want to go.

I think the moon phases line up that weekend (I keep an eye on https://tides4fishing.com/us/texas/san-luis-pass-tcoon)...it's always a [censored] shoot when you're planning this far out (I'm hitting Port A on Oct. 31), best you can do this time of year is try and line things up with the solunar calendar and hope for a cold front smile

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13711140 09/25/20 03:57 PM
G
gigum Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
The timing on your trip is perfect because the fall flounder run should be in full effect. Whether you are fishing San Luis Pass or anywhere else, the general things to watch out for are always the same. Tide, water temp, bottom, water flow, etc. are all standard things to look out for. Inlets with a soft mud bottom that have good water flow are proven to produce flounder night after night for us. I'd recommend reading this article on flounder gigging to learn more

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13711586 09/26/20 01:58 AM
rebait Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
We have had some great trips over the years, hope this one continues that tradition. Thanks for the input.

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13716464 09/30/20 07:55 PM
J
jaggiemaggie Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Found this thread while browsing the web. I'm a novice surf fisher and fished the beaches close to the condos before San Luis Pass a couple of times but never had much luck. I know the best time to usually fish is before sunrise but I go when I can so that can be before lunch time or early afternoon. We are renting a house for that same weekend so should be able to go early morning.

Would like to try catch some flounder and red fish and looking for pointers for a newbie. I'm assuming I need to fish closer to the bridge for reds and head bayside for flounder? Before sunrise the best time to go for redfish? Thanks for everyone's time

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13717394 10/01/20 08:50 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Check out this site: https://tides4fishing.com/ They look at the solunar calendar and the tides to get a sense of when fish will be active and when they won't. You can also watch the pressure (https://www.wunderground.com/), you're looking for changing pressures (falling tends to be a bit better). All of this is to say: you don't _necessarily_ have to get up early to get the best fishing in smile

For flounder, if you can line the tide up with a full moon and changing pressure (especially big changes, typically ahead of cold fronts), it doesn't matter what time of day or night it is. For flounder, if you go across the pass to Follet's ISland, there's a campground right as you come over the bridge, on the bay side. There used to be a giant lagoon, and a bulkhead where the water was quite deep: https://rb.gy/vz00js. You may have to fight for space, but this was always a solid spot as all the fish from West Bay and Christmas bay congregate here.

You can also wade the flats behind the Island. I grew up in Bay Harbor (behind Rusty Hook bait camp), and would wade from Bay Harbor to the pass and back. That whole shore used to be pretty good, but I hadn't fished it much in the last 10 or so years with all the development there. You can get back onto the bay shore here (https://rb.gy/autjxk) and wade back east towards the neighborhoods. There's a deep cut that runs right in front of the map marker here, and you should be able to find reds, trout, and flounder wading there.

You can also set some long rods out in the surf. Make sure you check the tides/pressure/etc., but in October there's generally something biting in the surf if you see bait and birds.

Good luck, and post pics!

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13717549 10/02/20 12:23 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
great info

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13717724 10/02/20 05:30 AM
J
jaggiemaggie Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Thank you for the info

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13718068 10/02/20 03:48 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
If you have a kayak, or you want to rent one, you can launch on the bay shore. I wouldn't recommend fishing the pass out of a kayak (unless you were sticking pretty close to shore on the bay side), but you can get to Arcadia reef pretty easily in Christmas bay (actually border between Christmas and Drum bays). There are a lot of turnoffs on coast road (used to be called Blue Water Highway), and there are a few places to put your kayak in. Wading this area is a little tricky because the mud can be deep, but it is doable. Anyway, good time of year for reds and flounder back here, fish shallow water adjacent to the cuts (you can see where the deeper water is on google maps: https://rb.gy/7f2cen).

Live mullet or live shrimp, Gulp mullet in yellow or red (firechicken works pretty good), gold spoons. If you have any spinner baits with gold spoons you might try them too if the water is murky. Seems a bit weird, but redfish seem to like bass lures, especially spinner baits and buzz baits. (Do a google search for "redfish magic", also zman makes some nice chatterbaits for redfish -- if you catch murky water, you need something that makes a lot of vibration in the water, so bigger gold spoons, spinner baits, and swimbaits with paddle tails.) Flounder like stuff bumping across the bottom for obvious reasons, if they're hungry and moving the color doesn't matter much!

Fair warning, this advice is a few years old smile I live in Austin and hadn't been back to Galveston since 2019, so some stuff may be outdated. But this is where I'd start if I was headed down.

Last edited by atx_ben; 10/02/20 03:52 PM.
Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13729255 10/13/20 02:11 AM
M
mudbelly Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I am visiting my daughter in Lake Jackson and we are planning a beach front trip on 10/16 to surfside for surf fishing. How cold is the water going to be for wading in? do I need waders?

Re: Looking for experience- San Luis Pass [Re: rebait] #13729872 10/13/20 06:56 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Lots of good info here: https://tides4fishing.com/us/texas/san-luis-pass-tcoon

Water temps are still up (generally true if hurricanes are still a threat!).

If you do go, post a review! I'm interested in how fishing is going to be this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide