Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Newbie - planning a trip #13726281 10/10/20 06:32 PM
ShinerInTx Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
One thing that has been on my list for a while is to take my boat to the coast and do some inshore fishing (im in DFW). I have a Mako Pro Skiff 17. The vast majority of my fishing & boating experience is fresh water lakes. I've taken a few guided fishing trips in Florida and South Padre, but I've never launched my own boat in saltwater. Looking for advice and input on the following for a late Oct or early November trip:

Looking for a good place to go. Obviously fishing wise would be great, but also something that is a fairly easy 1st time SW boating experience. Anything South of Corpus is probably more than I want to drive with the family. I'd also prefer to be at least a little outside of Galveston. Redfish, trout, flounder, I don't care that much I'm just looking to fish and take the family out. I have striper & bass gear, abu 5000's, gulp shrimp and popping corks.

Places to launch and general boating advice. Places to go, places to avoid. What about a radio, useful or not?

Saltwater boat/trailer cleaning & flushing. Ive ready to put a water sprinkler under the trailer after loading the boat and move it around. Flushing the motor with fresh water after ever trip. Any other helpful tips? If I find a place I can leave the boat docked overnight for 3 nights is that much more detrimental than pulling the boat out of the water every day and hosing it off and flushing the motor? Anything to coat/spray before I even launch the boat the 1st time? After the trip is over?

Any other good advice is welcome.

Thanks.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Newbie - planning a trip [Re: ShinerInTx] #13726340 10/10/20 07:31 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Get a hook setter map and head to Rockport. Spend your time in Estes. That or Arroyo city gives you the best chance to just wander up on decent amount of fish.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Newbie - planning a trip [Re: ShinerInTx] #13726511 10/10/20 10:14 PM
B
BAR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Rockport has several ramps within a few miles of one another. You can try a different area every day if you want to. Centrally located bait stands if you want live bait. Some rentals, condos and hotels have overnight boat dock. Many boat washes around with rinse-out hook-up for motor. Redfish are starting up good in St. Charles Bay. Easy to follow the shoreline and look for little "creeks" into the marshes. The mouth of many creeks hold Reds, especially if you see the right grass or a "pothole". Google Earth can be a big help here. Just keep hitting the creek mounts along the far shore and you will land Reds. PM me or call if you need a boat tour when you get there or want company to point out spots.

Re: Newbie - planning a trip [Re: Pat Goff] #13730430 10/14/20 03:49 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Get a hook setter map and head to Rockport. Spend your time in Estes. That or Arroyo city gives you the best chance to just wander up on decent amount of fish.

Thanks Pat. We're looking at Rockport places. Do you mean a Hook-n-line map? It looks like you aren't really supposed to run your outboard across Estes if I'm understanding right. But, i guess the trolling motor is good?

Re: Newbie - planning a trip [Re: BAR] #13730434 10/14/20 03:52 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by BAR
Rockport has several ramps within a few miles of one another. You can try a different area every day if you want to. Centrally located bait stands if you want live bait. Some rentals, condos and hotels have overnight boat dock. Many boat washes around with rinse-out hook-up for motor. Redfish are starting up good in St. Charles Bay. Easy to follow the shoreline and look for little "creeks" into the marshes. The mouth of many creeks hold Reds, especially if you see the right grass or a "pothole". Google Earth can be a big help here. Just keep hitting the creek mounts along the far shore and you will land Reds. PM me or call if you need a boat tour when you get there or want company to point out spots.

BAR, I appreciate the advice, and thats a really nice offer. Still working on the details of the trip, but I'll likely send you a PM at some point.

Re: Newbie - planning a trip [Re: ShinerInTx] #13731013 10/14/20 06:07 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Peep out the areas around here. Tx City Dike., Bolivar Penn., Jetties, East and West Bay, Dollar Bay, Galveston Ship Channel area, etc.

www.texas-city-tx.org/page/rec.dike

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide