texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,774
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13723391 10/07/20 09:56 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
some motel owners/managers (like Applebees restaurant managers) simply can't see the big picture....couple examples I've seen over the years,in early years of bass tournements,we had a club tournament on a lake in northeast Louisiana (I think it was Lake Bruin)...we reserved rooms at a mom and pop motel on the lake that also had some wooden docks sticking out in the lake...we started checking in the motel and woman that owned motel insisted we could not park our boats in front or beside the rooms,we had to launch and tie our boats up to the docks they had provided...this was probably first bass club that had ever booked rooms at her motel....we tried to explain to this woman about our need to charge batteries and our fear of a sudden storm damaging or sinking our boats....there were about 10 of us fixing to leave and go elsewhere and would have except we had a Doctor in the club who happened to know one of the woman's friends and he went back to the office and managed to convince the woman that she was going to lose a lot of business that night and in the future if she didn't change her rule about no parking boats next to rooms...

another instance was when I was practice fishing on Lake Martin the night before one of the few night time Redman tournaments they had back in the 80's...I fished all friday night,took my boat out 7:00 a.m. and stopped at Heart of Dixie motel in Dadeville,Al....for club tournaments,we had stayed at this motel for several years...I checked in about 8;00 a.m. and told the woman that I just needed to take a shower and sleep about 6 hours and she immediately told me I would have to pay for two nights because their check out time was 11;00 a.m..I told her in a nice way that I and my bass club had stayed at her motel for years and i didn't want to but if she insisted on charging me two nights,I would go someplace else..don't remember her exact uncordial words but it was similar to "the rules are the rules and I'm not changing them"...the stupid part was the town had built a by-pass around the town and this motel was hurting for business..... (I did go to another motel and they were glad to only charge me for only one night and as a club we never stayed at that motel in Dadeville again)..

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Bobby Milam] #13723457 10/07/20 11:18 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Maybe some of you guys should start going around to the lakes and convincing them that they should not be charging a launch fee since it costs virtually nothing once the ramp is put in. Doesn't matter if it uses 5 cents in electricity or $500. They have the right to charge a fee if they decide to and you have a right to stay somewhere else.

A boat ramp could cost $1M or more to construct, along with parking and facilities. It takes a long time to recoup such an investment. An outside 110V receptacle to connect a lodger's device (whether a battery charger or block heater) costs very little in additional construction fees. They seem to include five to seven of these in a room without feeling the need to add a special fee. What's so special (construction cost investment perspective) about one more? There is no electrical code limit to the actual number of receptacles on a circuit, so a 20A breaker could support close to 10 outlets - even if every receptacle slot on the circuit was occupied. The incremental cost of the provision and its maintenance is minuscule in absolute and percentage as compared to something like a launch ramp. If an operator is charging only for that receptacle, he's missing an opportunity - why not charge a fee for each of the other 5 to 7 receptacles in the room too?

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Flippin-Out] #13723475 10/07/20 11:40 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Maybe some of you guys should start going around to the lakes and convincing them that they should not be charging a launch fee since it costs virtually nothing once the ramp is put in. Doesn't matter if it uses 5 cents in electricity or $500. They have the right to charge a fee if they decide to and you have a right to stay somewhere else.

A boat ramp could cost $1M or more to construct, along with parking and facilities. It takes a long time to recoup such an investment. An outside 110V receptacle to connect a lodger's device (whether a battery charger or block heater) costs very little in additional construction fees. They seem to include five to seven of these in a room without feeling the need to add a special fee. What's so special (construction cost investment perspective) about one more? There is no electrical code limit to the actual number of receptacles on a circuit, so a 20A breaker could support close to 10 outlets - even if every receptacle slot on the circuit was occupied. The incremental cost of the provision and its maintenance is minuscule in absolute and percentage as compared to something like a launch ramp. If an operator is charging only for that receptacle, he's missing an opportunity - why not charge a fee for each of the other 5 to 7 receptacles in the room too?

Yea and once they start that they might also charge you for how much toilet paper you use because of the shortage.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13724073 10/08/20 02:32 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Why would you charge extra for plugging in a battery charger when you can just include the small cost in the price of the room and instead of irritating your customers with a dinky charge,include it in the cost of the room and let them think you have charging outlets for the convenience of their customers....most motels now offer a free breakfast and free wi-fi but it's really not free,it's included in cost of your room....always remember first law of economics...."there is no such thing as a free lunch".....

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: beartrap] #13724270 10/08/20 05:09 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by beartrap
Why would you charge extra for plugging in a battery charger when you can just include the small cost in the price of the room and instead of irritating your customers with a dinky charge,include it in the cost of the room and let them think you have charging outlets for the convenience of their customers....most motels now offer a free breakfast and free wi-fi but it's really not free,it's included in cost of your room....always remember first law of economics...."there is no such thing as a free lunch".....

That was my drift considering the operator's "additional construction cost and overhead" is minimal. If it were covered slips on the water, I could understand "not included" in the competitive room pricing due to the much higher expense of providing a more expensive feature/convenience.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide