Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13719630 10/04/20 01:28 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Tell them no. And ask them to bring extra boat towels while their trying to figure out who’s tight and who’s wrong.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Flippin-Out] #13720171 10/04/20 09:28 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
I figure that like the ramp fees. Someone is going to pay for that electricity, and if it's not included in their room charges they need to re-coup that money. I do think that $10 is a bit much, but I'd gladly pay $5 for the ability to charge my batteries at night.

Even knowing that your charger probably uses less than 50 cents in power if charging overnight? Remember, a 10A bank @ 12V may use ONE AMP of power @ 120V - and for only a portion of the night, at that!

They also have to pay to have the outlets installed and maintained. It is their business and their choice to charge or not. You aren't just entitled. I know the hotel I usually stay at near Fork have a row of charging plugs for boats and every big tournament boaters seem to damage them and then no one has power until they can have them repaired. I will remember that logic next time I go to whataburger and they charge $3 for fries that cost them 50 cents. I will tell them no thanks I will take them for free

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Bobby Milam] #13720173 10/04/20 09:30 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
I figure that like the ramp fees. Someone is going to pay for that electricity, and if it's not included in their room charges they need to re-coup that money. I do think that $10 is a bit much, but I'd gladly pay $5 for the ability to charge my batteries at night.

Even knowing that your charger probably uses less than 50 cents in power if charging overnight? Remember, a 10A bank @ 12V may use ONE AMP of power @ 120V - and for only a portion of the night, at that!

They also have to pay to have the outlets installed and maintained. It is their business and their choice to charge or not. You aren't just entitled. I know the hotel I usually stay at near Fork have a row of charging plugs for boats and every big tournament boaters seem to damage them and then no one has power until they can have them repaired. I will remember that logic next time I go to whataburger and they charge $3 for fries that cost them 50 cents. I will tell them no thanks I will take them for free

So the tons and tons of recreational anglers that stay at these places do not damage them as well? Only tournament anglers?

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13720253 10/04/20 11:10 PM
Brent S Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Most places I run the cord from inside the room.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Hair Jig] #13720319 10/05/20 12:27 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

That is the problem. You are willing to pay a fee for charging your boat. Others will get on this band wagon and start doing the same and everyone has to pay more. It should come with the room. What if you watch TV all night long. is there an extra charge for that since you used more electricity???

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: ezbassin] #13720323 10/05/20 12:29 AM
Brent S Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ezbassin

That is the problem. You are willing to pay a fee for charging your boat. Others will get on this band wagon and start doing the same and everyone has to pay more. It should come with the room. What if you watch TV all night long. is there an extra charge for that since you used more electricity???

Or brought a computer and ran it? Or turned the AC as cold as it goes?

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Bobby Milam] #13720334 10/05/20 12:42 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

My point was about the actual incremental cost. There is no significant incremental cost incurred for 50 cents in power usage on a room that costs $100+ per night. That $100 would allow you to plug something into every receptacle socket in the room. But to plug one in outside would be an additional $5 or $7, or more? It's just another "hidden fee" tactic. I've never broken a 16 cent receptacle (bulk cost) in all the years I've plugged my charger into an AC outlet.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13720336 10/05/20 12:45 AM
L
LeonSulak Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
L
I have a confession to make- sometimes I leave a lamp on at night or a bathroom light. I also charge my phone.

Last edited by LeonSulak; 10/05/20 12:46 AM.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Mark Perry] #13720373 10/05/20 01:18 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

So the tons and tons of recreational anglers that stay at these places do not damage them as well? Only tournament anglers?

Pretty much. The hotel is a little far from the lake and only seems to get boaters when the large tournaments arr going on and all the closer hotels are full. My point isnt about it beibg a certain type of angler but rather they just tear stuff up and someone has to pay for the repairs

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: ezbassin] #13720429 10/05/20 02:14 AM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H

So I don’t suppose you’ve never paid for parking at a hotel or other facility either? After all the asphalt is already there. Right? What about tolls? I didn’t ask the to build those roads so why should I pay? Which of these bandwagons are YOU contributing to? Should I send you my next parking receipt?

Last edited by Hair Jig; 10/05/20 12:13 PM.

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: LeonSulak] #13720478 10/05/20 03:41 AM
M
Mo_Cat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted by LeonSulak
I have a confession to make- sometimes I leave a lamp on at night or a bathroom light. I also charge my phone.

And I used toilet paper, guilty.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Mo_Cat] #13720499 10/05/20 04:49 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Mo_Cat
Originally Posted by LeonSulak

And I used toilet paper, guilty.

I hope you're aware that the prescribed allocation is 10 squares of TP. Any beyond that will cost $0.50 for each square - or you can use the extra towels (after you buff your boat with them).

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Hair Jig] #13720504 10/05/20 05:39 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F

So I don’t suppose you’ve never paid for parking at a hotel or other facility either? After all the asphalt is already there. Right? What about tolls? I didn’t ask the to build those roads so why should I pay? Which of these bandwagons are YOU contributing to? Should I send you my next parking receipt?

A parking lot is a substantial investment with many 0's attached to the price-tag for installation and maintenance with a ROI period many times longer than a few receptacles, so I'm not quite sure how those compare. The cost of every receptacle in the room seems to be built into the price of the room. I'd venture to guess there are at least 5. I can plug something into every one of those with no additional charge, but I don't typically use one beyond charging a cell phone. I guess another charge is looming for that cell phone? I rarely plug anything else in, nor turn on the TV, nor use a coffee-maker if it's there. I'll take the 50 cents in power to charge my batteries and call it an even trade on what I don't use in the room.

I'm not sure how tolls for toll roads play into your comparison scenario; there are always optional roadways so one can still get from point A to point B at no added cost. Unless you imply the receptacle inside my window is an alternative?

If I run the air-conditioning at max cold, that will use 10X or more the power of my charger, and maintenance on HVAC is one of the highest items a motel has I would imagine. I would also imagine most operators would tell you that you are using 10 amps of power for each 10A bank on your charger, thinking they are being sucked dry and need to be reimbursed! (due to ignorance of how electrical watts are measured) That "10 amps" at 12V doesn't draw 10A all night, typically just a short while before it tapers off - sometimes to 1 amp or less. The catch is the "@12V" part. Ten amps (often the max bank output) at 12V is very near ONE AMP at 120V - and that's 1A for a short period. Some people probably burn more power drying their hair with a 1500w hair dryer after a shower than their charger will consume overnight.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13720560 10/05/20 12:19 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Free enterprise. Owners/management have the right to charge fees for whatever they want and I have the right not agree with nor pay their fees by not frequenting their establishment(supporting their business). There have been hotels that started charging for WiFi that used to be “included” and we literally decided we would never go back based on what we decided were frivolous charges. Don’t want to pay a luggage fee? Don’t fly that airlines. Don’t want to pay to charge your boat batteries? Don’t support that hotel. That’s how free enterprise works. Now to the OP’s original question: “NO, I have never experienced a hotel charging a fee for charging my boat batteries”. I would consider it frivolous and would not support their business.

Re: Motel Boat Charging Fee [Re: Brent S] #13720625 10/05/20 01:35 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
its really pretty simple if you dont like the way a company runs its business go somewhere else and spend your money with them.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide