Forums59
Topics1,038,970
Posts13,956,632
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: krthomas2] #13714450 09/28/20 09:12 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by krthomas2
Originally Posted by C130
I doubt anything would have been done about it anyways. We had a high school team pre fishing with their boat captain that saw another team fishing with a guide (for that particular lake) a week before the tournament. The guide was the boat captain's next door neighbor so this wasn't hearsay, he had known the guy for many years. Team was reported, they were asked about it at the weigh in and said no, they hadn't fished with a guide, and that was it. They finished 2nd in the tournament I believe and they didn't have the polygraph machine either. It seems unless it's on video or photos there's not much that's going to be done.

Yep. One time in a high school tournament, I saw a team running the big motor with the kids up on the deck and no life jackets and called them in to the tournament director. I was told unless we had it on video there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Just shows how serious things are taken in some high school fishing. There’s no training, no required educational videos, nothing is required besides a background check. I had everything needed on the boat going through the no wake zone on plane with kids on the front deck except it wasn’t on video. It’s funny, lots of other things get accomplished without video. But, I offered to pay for a boat captains gas and expenses for the one tournament I had to miss in three years and I got a call because a psycho dad in our club called and reported I was cheating even though nothing is illegal about offering any amount of money. I would obviously never expect anyone to take my kid out for free without offering to pay for their expenses.

Last edited by C130; 09/28/20 09:15 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714474 09/28/20 09:43 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I expect to be bombarded, but there isn't a place for young kids on a boat competing in tournaments with a captain that they hardly know, or if the kid's dad is captain, he needs to go through courses to be fully capable of "doing it the right way." That's where teaching and etiquette and courtesy goes flying out the window. All they're in it for is to win it. These kids need to go through the hard knocks just like most of us have, build up to graduating HS, go to college or not, get a job, and be able to afford their own truck and boat. Then, they could look into boater safety courses, proper instruction, learn the rules or unwritten rules, and then go out on their own. HS kids are just way too immature to handle these kinds of responsibilities. They also appreciate what they have much more if they'll just slow down and do things the correct way, and the way they were intended. bolt

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714543 09/28/20 10:48 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I required every member of our club to take a TPWD approved boater safety course. That caused lots of drama with some parents doing the course for their kids. It’s great for kids to get out and fish but the whole “buy your kids the best boat captain“ BS is out of hand. I talked to a well known East Texas fisherman that was offered well over a $1000 for a tournament. I dealt directly with a team that sought out the best captain they could find in the Houston area. Kids never pre fished, ever, they just showed up tournament day and then the dad ran his mouth about how great his son was.

Last edited by C130; 09/28/20 10:50 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714578 09/28/20 11:46 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
5 feet is incredible , you literally could have leaned back and pissed on the dude's jersey without much effort.

Ranger with a Verado......

This guy is reading this post I have no doubt.

If so you sir are a first class stool sample.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Tiltman] #13714833 09/29/20 03:31 AM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

If so you sir are a first class stool sample. [/quote]

LOL! Winner!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Okie Poke] #13715025 09/29/20 01:11 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
I expect to be bombarded, but there isn't a place for young kids on a boat competing in tournaments with a captain that they hardly know, or if the kid's dad is captain, he needs to go through courses to be fully capable of "doing it the right way." That's where teaching and etiquette and courtesy goes flying out the window. All they're in it for is to win it. These kids need to go through the hard knocks just like most of us have, build up to graduating HS, go to college or not, get a job, and be able to afford their own truck and boat. Then, they could look into boater safety courses, proper instruction, learn the rules or unwritten rules, and then go out on their own. HS kids are just way too immature to handle these kinds of responsibilities. They also appreciate what they have much more if they'll just slow down and do things the correct way, and the way they were intended. bolt

certain amount of horse [censored] in this statement...… and a bit of truth.

You missed all first time boat owners - what would be the minimum age, according to you, that you could purchase, run or otherwise be involved in boating of any kind?
What are the "proper" steps and age that you can compete in a fishing tournament? ( be warned - I might be biased. I won my first tournament by myself when when I was a kid in 76' and still have the trophy)
I'm assuming your HS kids are too young for any responsibility , mine handled it fine.
Taking a course for boating safety doesn't guarantee safe boating - plenty of people have drivers license's and still wreck cars....

This comes up every year like clockwork. I see some of these things happening at every tournament THAT I FISH. It's not limited to HS events by any means...…….
I also will be looking forward to the ones who start complaining about crowding, too many tournaments on "x" lake and the general "get off my grass" comments!

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 09/29/20 01:16 PM.
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13715034 09/29/20 01:15 PM
SkeeterCraig225 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

I was a Captain on Lewisville Saturday. I did not witness any shenanigans whatsoever. About lunch we were tired of getting beat up by the wind so we went to a marina with what seemed like half the field. Everybody was courteous and friendly and no one encroached on anyone's space. This is only my 3rd tournament to Capt. so Im sure I will witness it at some point.

Just trying to remember to turn my lights off backing down the ramp!
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13715145 09/29/20 02:42 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Seems to me that there are some positive steps that could be taken to improve or correct issues in high school tournament fishing. For example, if Jigit would call the TD for this particular tournament and let him know what occurred in a diplomatic way, the TD might send an e mail to all participants of this and future tournaments, giving specific cases and letting participants know how they are expected to behave. The written rules could always be a work in progress, adding detailed cases for examples of issues that have occurred. Potentially, all boat captains could be required to take a boater safety course. All kids could take an in person test so that the goofy parents couldn't do it for them. Common issue nowadays with kids and parents! Many steps could be taken.

Where I didn't have any issues on Hubbard when I captained for Rockwall Heath, I could tell there were an awful lot of clueless captains and kids. I happened to volunteer to captain for two boys who could fish and were ridiculously polite. One of them works at BPS Garland and he still always calls me Mr. Biggs and seeks me out to say hi. Just a good kid IMHO. I only have older and younger kids so none at the age to HS fish. But, my 4 year old already fishes 3-8 hours once a week at least with me and he already is a stick, FOR A 4 YEAR OLD, and he knows to be polite, where to cast, etc. Many kids don't have this advantage, but seems to me, it's great they have the desire to fish. Just seems we could all do a lot more to help than telling a negative story on a forum. For example, a mentoring program or guest speaker program where experienced tournament anglers could give a short talk about tournament angling etiquette, or tactics, or discuss specific techniques-fishing docks, drop shot, not killing idiots on the water, etc.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: C130] #13715324 09/29/20 05:53 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by C130
I captained for my son for three years and something similar happened almost every tournament. Worst was when my son and I got to our spot at 3AM in the back of a very narrow creek. Here’s comes an idiot about 30 minutes before first cast and he tries to cut right in front of us. He pulls up beside us with his big motor running and is maybe 6 inches from my boat and I ask him what he’s doing. He tells me they are going in front of me, i tell him that’s not happening. So, this idiots really thinks he’s going to pull right in front of my boat and fish where my son will be fishing. His prop is hitting the bottom it’s so shallow, his boat is about to hit mine, and the other side of his boat is in the brush up against the bank. I told him he was not cutting in front of us and he’d better not touch my boat. It got ugly but he eventually backed up after being stuck. This same boat captain tried to pull similar stuff on others that day also. Most boat captains were good but too many were ridiculous.

I missed one tournament n the 3 years and my sons boat captain witnessed a team going through a no wake zone on plane with both kids up on the front deck. I called the tournament director and gave him all the info, nothing was done about it and it was like I bothered the person by reporting it. I didn’t want the kids to get disqualified but I think the boat captains should be banned. Problem is, then the kids most likely won’t get to fish. Then, there’s the whole fiasco with parents buying their kids success by hiring the top boat captains but that’s a whole other issue.

So what you are saying is that during a tournament you violated state and federal law by blocking a navigable waterway?

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: RKT] #13715385 09/29/20 07:09 PM
C
Clint W. Offline
Angler
Angler
C
So what you are saying is that during a tournament you violated state and federal law by blocking a navigable waterway?[/quote]

This is a stupid question. If the 'waterway' is only wide enough for 1 boat to navigate without running aground.......nevermind. Even after explanation you still probably wouldn't understand.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Clint W.] #13715395 09/29/20 07:18 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Clint W.
So what you are saying is that during a tournament you violated state and federal law by blocking a navigable waterway?

This is a stupid question. If the 'waterway' is only wide enough for 1 boat to navigate without running aground.......nevermind. Even after explanation you still probably wouldn't understand.[/quote]

This ^^^^^^

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Clint W.] #13715407 09/29/20 07:27 PM
R
RKT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R

This is a stupid question. If the 'waterway' is only wide enough for 1 boat to navigate without running aground.......nevermind. Even after explanation you still probably wouldn't understand.[/quote]

Who said the waterway was only wide enough for 1 boat. If the original posters boat is in the middle of the channel and not to the side and there is room for both boats then the original poster is violating the law. There are a lot of things we do not know here. How much water was beyond the original poster's boat. How wide was the creek channel. I have seen cases of people doing this at a narrow part of a creek where the creek still ran for another mile. In that situation the person blocking is violating the law and the tournament rules.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13715454 09/29/20 08:03 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
popcorn2

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13715462 09/29/20 08:09 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
folks that pull up within 50 feet of someone else fishing not invited is a crappy move until folks get some stones an say something at the time folks will continue to do these things so you have 2 choices go home an get on the net an complain or confront them about a stupid move an hope they will be embarrassed at their actions an go on.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: RKT] #13715484 09/29/20 08:23 PM
C
Clint W. Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted by RKT

This is a stupid question. If the 'waterway' is only wide enough for 1 boat to navigate without running aground.......nevermind. Even after explanation you still probably wouldn't understand.

Who said the waterway was only wide enough for 1 boat. If the original posters boat is in the middle of the channel and not to the side and there is room for both boats then the original poster is violating the law. There are a lot of things we do not know here. How much water was beyond the original poster's boat. How wide was the creek channel. I have seen cases of people doing this at a narrow part of a creek where the creek still ran for another mile. In that situation the person blocking is violating the law and the tournament rules.
[/quote]

'in the back of a very narrow creek.', this is in the text indicating he was in the back of the creek. I guess the other guy could've got a running start on pad and went around him, but there are 'laws' against being on plane in close proximity of another boat. I stand by my previous statement, you probably wouldn't understand.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide