Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
First time boat captain #13712606 09/27/20 02:14 AM
TryHard Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I got asked to captain for an upcoming event, and I’m apprehensive about my role in all of it. Any tips/advice for an first timer?

Hope this is the right forum to ask this.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13713023 09/27/20 04:00 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
First thank you for helping out.

The main thing to remember is you are there to help teach the kids have fun, relax and go fishing..

Read the rules, there are a lot of them but in a nutshell, you can do everything except catch a fish for the kids. You can net fish, unsnag their lines, re tie, cull, basically everything but cast and hook a fish for them.

Make sure they are setting down with life vest on and fastened while the big motor is on. You as well, with kill switch

Re: First time boat captain [Re: Ken Starling] #13713968 09/28/20 02:20 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
Originally Posted by Ken Starling
First thank you for helping out.

The main thing to remember is you are there to help teach the kids have fun, relax and go fishing..

Read the rules, there are a lot of them but in a nutshell, you can do everything except catch a fish for the kids. You can net fish, unsnag their lines, re tie, cull, basically everything but cast and hook a fish for them.

Make sure they are setting down with life vest on and fastened while the big motor is on. You as well, with kill switch

This in a nutshell...This is my first year as a HS Captain as well. We had our first tournament about 2 weeks ago. Patience is one thing you'll need to have. You'll spend more time than you feel you need unsnagging lures. I would offer advice when needed, as my students are rookies and one has never fished from a boat before.

It's a very amazing thrill when the hook into their first first and it doesn't get dull until the clock stops and you've rushed into weigh in.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13714453 09/28/20 09:14 PM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
How much time y'all spending between the tournament dates, as captains. Kudo's for doing something like this. I've been kicking around the idea myself, but wondering how much time is spent besides the tournament days? Are you always with the same two kids or ?

Re: First time boat captain [Re: flogORfish] #13714672 09/29/20 01:10 AM
M
MAC67STANG Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Hey Flog, and Tryhard, I am starting my 6th season out of 7 years. I have been with my current two young men since there freshman year. This is their senior year. We usually prefish the weekend before a tourney. We get together and discuss the body of water for 30-45 minutes, and come up with a game plan prior to any trip. Tourney days are a solid 12 hour day, and 8 to 10 hours on a prefish. So a 22-24 hours of commitment per month. 5 regular season events, 1 regional, and possibly the state tourney. It is more than just fishing, it is mentoring our youth. If you have an interest and a passion for it, I would say definitely get involved. If anyone has any questions you can PM me, and we can discuss.

mac67stang
Re: First time boat captain [Re: flogORfish] #13714687 09/29/20 01:24 AM
N
n_fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
My 2 young men are addicted and we spend everyday possible on the body of water we’re going to fish for the upcoming tournament pre-fishing and trying to figure them out. We have tons of fun and laugh a lot in the boat while we’re doing this. For example, we fished 3 full days in preparing for our tournament last weekend and it paid dividends for us. As a 3rd year boat captain, I don’t get many weekends off due to the preparation for the next derby. I feel like you get back what you put in, the dollars and travel time don’t seem like much when you eventually achieve some success and yes, you can have fun doing it! Nothing comes easy in bass fishing, I don’t fish a tournament circuit but I’ve been fishing for 40 years. I’m trying to pass on what I know and have learned over the years to these fine young men. I feel like the world needs a few more good fishermen, something they can do for the rest of their lives.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: n_fish] #13714822 09/29/20 03:09 AM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Mac, N,

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't agree more with the reason to do it. I still have a kid in high school and we fish some but not competitively. Since he's not on a team, I'd be taking time away from what I get with him. I'm still interested in doing this, but might wait until he's off to college as I'd have more time. It's an awesome thing all of you guys are doing, mentoring, passing along things you love and teaching these kids. My hat's off to all of you for giving your time and money for something invaluable like this.

Best Regards,
Mark

Re: First time boat captain [Re: flogORfish] #13715046 09/29/20 01:21 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by flogORfish
Mac, N,

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't agree more with the reason to do it. I still have a kid in high school and we fish some but not competitively. Since he's not on a team, I'd be taking time away from what I get with him. I'm still interested in doing this, but might wait until he's off to college as I'd have more time. It's an awesome thing all of you guys are doing, mentoring, passing along things you love and teaching these kids. My hat's off to all of you for giving your time and money for something invaluable like this.

Best Regards,
Mark

You might consider finding a team and just signing up as a sub.
Things happen - motors blow, conflicting schedules, captains get sick, etc and the kids can lose a captain for an event. It can be crucial for some of them to be able to have someone who can step in and pinch hit for an event or two.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: Txduckhunter] #13715070 09/29/20 01:31 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
Originally Posted by flogORfish
Mac, N,

Best Regards,
Mark

You might consider finding a team and just signing up as a sub.
Things happen - motors blow, conflicting schedules, captains get sick, etc and the kids can lose a captain for an event. It can be crucial for some of them to be able to have someone who can step in and pinch hit for an event or two.

Great idea, I tore out a lower unit my sons senior year and then needed to find my son a boat captain on very short notice. My backup boat captains wife was pregnant and having a c section that weekend so that plan went out the window. Luckily I had a friend that did it last minute.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: First time boat captain [Re: C130] #13715079 09/29/20 01:37 PM
F
flogORfish Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I didn't think about that, and didn't know that might be an option. Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13715608 09/29/20 10:56 PM
TryHard Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I really appreciate the feedback everyone.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13717294 10/01/20 06:49 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
I try to fish as much as possible and invite my HS anglers to go with me. Time on the water is more than most realize. My students are new to fishing in a tourney and from a boat. So my goal is them to be able to understand the smaller things. Water temps, wind, and boat control. I plan to allow them to navigate the boat, via trolling motor, as I review maps and locations I've planned out.

Most of the time, it's the weekend before the tourney is when we prefish. I go out on my own many times to keep me honest and have my "time on the water."

With us all learning together, it's a win / win in my eyes.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: avid_basser] #13718404 10/02/20 09:48 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by avid_basser
I try to fish as much as possible and invite my HS anglers to go with me. Time on the water is more than most realize. My students are new to fishing in a tourney and from a boat. So my goal is them to be able to understand the smaller things. Water temps, wind, and boat control. I plan to allow them to navigate the boat, via trolling motor, as I review maps and locations I've planned out.

Most of the time, it's the weekend before the tourney is when we prefish. I go out on my own many times to keep me honest and have my "time on the water."

With us all learning together, it's a win / win in my eyes.

They/you can watch all the YouTube videos you want to and it won't mean anything without time on the water.

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13719958 10/04/20 06:43 PM
The Tacklesmith Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Thank you,
Shawn Smith

TTS Unlimited.... www.ttsunlimited.webs.com
The Tacklesmith ... www.thetacklesmith.webs.com
LED Boat Lighting
Back with the 2 way bass boat alarm https://youtu.be/XGtLRNE7mm0
Dobyns Rod Dealer

Grand Prairie, TX

Re: First time boat captain [Re: TryHard] #13728098 10/12/20 12:12 PM
Txhoghunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I’ve been a captain for 4 years now. Absolutely love doing it. I try to teach them what I can about fishing, but ramp etiquette and boat safety are always stressed too. I encourage anyone who is thinking about getting involved in the THSBA to go for it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide