Forums59
Topics1,038,807
Posts13,953,102
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13713820 09/28/20 11:45 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If your not in the tournament what good does reporting the boat do? There is no law being broken, yes they pulled right up on another boat but as last I checked the rules state you must keep a certain distance away from other tournament boats unless you get consent... nothing about non tournament boats. Was it a sorry move, absolutely.. was there anything illegal, negative.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: buda13] #13713914 09/28/20 01:24 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by buda13
If your not in the tournament what good does reporting the boat do? There is no law being broken, yes they pulled right up on another boat but as last I checked the rules state you must keep a certain distance away from other tournament boats unless you get consent... nothing about non tournament boats. Was it a sorry move, absolutely.. was there anything illegal, negative.

Bingo

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13713915 09/28/20 01:25 PM
rickys Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
I'm also a boat captain, and I was at this tournament this weekend. I did not have any issues, but in two years this is the first time I have not had some kind of similar issue. I fish a lot of tournaments, and this highshcool deal is by far the worst when it comes to things like this. I'm not sure if it's just a lot of inexperienced fishermen, or people who just want to win at all cost. I take my little nephew and his buddy. My goal at every tournament is to be safe, and for them to have a good time. Catching fish is a bonus. I almost always pre-fish for them, so we usually put several in the boat. I'd like to see them cut these deals back to 100 teams max. I think this one had about 200 teams last I checked. Captains need to put more focus on teaching these kids everything about fishing/boating, and making sure they have a good time! That's just my opinion.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13713950 09/28/20 02:03 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I captained for my son for three years and something similar happened almost every tournament. Worst was when my son and I got to our spot at 3AM in the back of a very narrow creek. Here’s comes an idiot about 30 minutes before first cast and he tries to cut right in front of us. He pulls up beside us with his big motor running and is maybe 6 inches from my boat and I ask him what he’s doing. He tells me they are going in front of me, i tell him that’s not happening. So, this idiots really thinks he’s going to pull right in front of my boat and fish where my son will be fishing. His prop is hitting the bottom it’s so shallow, his boat is about to hit mine, and the other side of his boat is in the brush up against the bank. I told him he was not cutting in front of us and he’d better not touch my boat. It got ugly but he eventually backed up after being stuck. This same boat captain tried to pull similar stuff on others that day also. Most boat captains were good but too many were ridiculous.

I missed one tournament n the 3 years and my sons boat captain witnessed a team going through a no wake zone on plane with both kids up on the front deck. I called the tournament director and gave him all the info, nothing was done about it and it was like I bothered the person by reporting it. I didn’t want the kids to get disqualified but I think the boat captains should be banned. Problem is, then the kids most likely won’t get to fish. Then, there’s the whole fiasco with parents buying their kids success by hiring the top boat captains but that’s a whole other issue.

Last edited by C130; 09/28/20 02:06 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13713958 09/28/20 02:07 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
IMO this whole thread should be moved to the High School Bass Fishing sub-forum. There would be a much better chance of the other participants and tourney officials seeing it, and maybe taking some sort of action. Or, at the least, call out the offender and let him know that his actions were unsportsmanlike and unacceptable

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: TinRangerJim] #13713982 09/28/20 02:31 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T

Take a pic or a video and send it to the president of THSBA, I promise that he will, at the very least, make a phone call to the captain and the team advisor.

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim
IMO this whole thread should be moved to the High School Bass Fishing sub-forum. There would be a much better chance of the other participants and tourney officials seeing it, and maybe taking some sort of action. Or, at the least, call out the offender and let him know that his actions were unsportsmanlike and unacceptable

You think the HS folks don't look at this forum?

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Txduckhunter] #13713990 09/28/20 02:37 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

Take a pic or a video and send it to the president of THSBA, I promise that he will, at the very least, make a phone call to the captain and the team advisor.

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim

You think the HS folks don't look at this forum?

I'm sure a lot of them do, but more would probably go to the HS Bass Fishing forum

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714019 09/28/20 02:59 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Lmao! And what is the President going to say to the boat captain? “Sir, though you didn’t violate any laws or rules and I cannot impose any action against you....we had a report from a non tournament boat that you are an inconsiderate person. Shame on you.”

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: buda13] #13714071 09/28/20 03:59 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Lmao! And what is the President going to say to the boat captain? “Sir, though you didn’t violate any laws or rules and I cannot impose any action against you....we had a report from a non tournament boat that you are an inconsiderate person. Shame on you.”

There is a code of conduct that all tournament fishermen should be following that is in the rules. It doesn't say you should only follow this with other tournament fishermen.
Years ago, I called the owner of Anglers Choice with a grievance against one of his anglers. Apparently the angler had a history of being a douche to EVERYONE on the water. I was asked to write down the event and send it to him so I did. He forwarded it to the guys sponsors and the dominos began to fall.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714155 09/28/20 05:24 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think I probably would have taught the kids some new words that they had never heard before and the boat captain would have probably got the hint. Never pass up an opportunity to shape the minds of Americas youth lol.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714180 09/28/20 05:38 PM
BCBassCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
He just taught them to recognize the bent pole pattern. Heck I know grown men willing to fish with high schoolers just to get ahead of the learning curve.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Jigit] #13714317 09/28/20 07:19 PM
White Oak Skeeter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have captained a grand total of one tournament, on Hubbard. So, very limited experience. But, what I noticed was that around 75% of the boats and boat captains were a train wreck. Many had no clue how to load or unload, no etiquette, tournament or otherwise. However, I kept thinking how great it was that the kids and the adults were doing something outdoors, weren't playing video games, stealing, drugs, etc. yes, many were lost, but generally, everyone was nice and polite. We had no issues and there were approximately 250 boats that day. I have older boys who played other sports and didn't HS fish, and I have two young ones who I hope fish in HS. Seems that more time should be spent with sponsors, parents, boat captains, and the kids to teach them the etiquette of tournament fishing. As I have limited experience, how much training is done at that level??? Even my 20 year old gets "reminders" from me when he casts behind the boat, casts too far out front, front ends me too often, etc. etc. and he's grown up fishing and fishing tournaments with me. 'Course, his biggest reminder is when he doesn't dive for the net when I have a GIANT 2 pounder!

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: buda13] #13714333 09/28/20 07:39 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W

Right again

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: C130] #13714335 09/28/20 07:40 PM
K
krthomas2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Originally Posted by C130
I doubt anything would have been done about it anyways. We had a high school team pre fishing with their boat captain that saw another team fishing with a guide (for that particular lake) a week before the tournament. The guide was the boat captain's next door neighbor so this wasn't hearsay, he had known the guy for many years. Team was reported, they were asked about it at the weigh in and said no, they hadn't fished with a guide, and that was it. They finished 2nd in the tournament I believe and they didn't have the polygraph machine either. It seems unless it's on video or photos there's not much that's going to be done.

Yep. One time in a high school tournament, I saw a team running the big motor with the kids up on the deck and no life jackets and called them in to the tournament director. I was told unless we had it on video there wasn't anything they could do about it.

Re: Lewisville High School Tournament Captain [Re: Txduckhunter] #13714343 09/28/20 07:43 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Txduckhunter

There is a code of conduct that all tournament fishermen should be following that is in the rules. It doesn't say you should only follow this with other tournament fishermen.
Years ago, I called the owner of Anglers Choice with a grievance against one of his anglers. Apparently the angler had a history of being a douche to EVERYONE on the water. I was asked to write down the event and send it to him so I did. He forwarded it to the guys sponsors and the dominos began to fall.

Is this like unwritten rules in baseball or something lol.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide