texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,764
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Video trend????? #13709866 09/24/20 11:42 AM
C
christian myrick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
I guess I'm a bit grumpy. I just dont understand the need for people to make so many youtube vids. Making memories i understand but it seems like for a while now everyone has a youtube channel. In every other sport the pros are the best of the best, kayak fishing seems to be very different. I guess watching guys kayak fish in ponds to me isn't doing it for me. I understand most are never going to do the things Glenn madden does but I'm begging, if your going to do vids, if your going to push your channel, at least do something worth watching. This is not meant to hurt any feelings, its meant to challenge those of you who do make vids to do more, do better. Its getting to the point its like Facebook, soon we will be seeing posts of your dinners or the time you cut your grass or any of the other pointless things people think everyone cares about. If you don't know, don't make instructional vids, if you don't wear pfd dont show it. There are just so many pointless vids out there from guys who don't have any experience trying hard for sponsors and pro staff positions. Do the sport because you enjoy it, not because your making lame vids with crazy titles.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13710428 09/24/20 07:55 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Grumpy is right LOL

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13710972 09/25/20 12:43 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted by christian myrick
I guess I'm a bit grumpy. I just dont understand the need for people to make so many youtube vids. Making memories i understand but it seems like for a while now everyone has a youtube channel. In every other sport the pros are the best of the best, kayak fishing seems to be very different. I guess watching guys kayak fish in ponds to me isn't doing it for me. I understand most are never going to do the things Glenn madden does but I'm begging, if your going to do vids, if your going to push your channel, at least do something worth watching. This is not meant to hurt any feelings, its meant to challenge those of you who do make vids to do more, do better. Its getting to the point its like Facebook, soon we will be seeing posts of your dinners or the time you cut your grass or any of the other pointless things people think everyone cares about. If you don't know, don't make instructional vids, if you don't wear pfd dont show it. There are just so many pointless vids out there from guys who don't have any experience trying hard for sponsors and pro staff positions. Do the sport because you enjoy it, not because your making lame vids with crazy titles.

I think you're behind on the video trend by at least 5 years. I started to think years ago that TPWD or the USCG snuck in their statutes that every kayaker must have a Go Pro camera on their kayak as standard equipment. I video on very few occasions, but it's nothing special nor is the sole reason for any of my posts. I don't watch videos all that much either; click bait titles, very little if any substance, nauseating head cam POV. If I wanted to listen to country or rock music I'll turn on the radio.

Don't forget to comment, subscribe and smash that like button.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13711018 09/25/20 01:30 PM
C
cvitale Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I can see both sides of the argument but ultimately think if you don’t want to watch a video, don’t click it. Pick and choose what interest you....

I never post my videos and keep my channel private but thought in honor of this post it would be a great time to share one. Sorry christian myrick.... sarcastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBzZ4lr3tc

Last edited by cvitale; 09/25/20 03:45 PM.
Re: Video trend????? [Re: Neumie] #13711117 09/25/20 03:26 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Neumie
Originally Posted by christian myrick

I think you're behind on the video trend by at least 5 years. I started to think years ago that TPWD or the USCG snuck in their statutes that every kayaker must have a Go Pro camera on their kayak as standard equipment. I video on very few occasions, but it's nothing special nor is the sole reason for any of my posts. I don't watch videos all that much either; click bait titles, very little if any substance, nauseating head cam POV. If I wanted to listen to country or rock music I'll turn on the radio.

Don't forget to comment, subscribe and smash that like button.

The thing is neumie, yours would be a vid I would watch. You are very knowledgeable and really have a ton of jewels to share.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13711130 09/25/20 03:36 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by cvitale
I can see both sides of the argument but ultimately think if you don’t want to watch a video, don’t click it. Pick and choose what interest you....

I never post my videos and keep my channel private but thought in honor of this post it would be a great time to share one. Sorry christian myrick.... sarcastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXBzZ4lr3tc&list=PL8ZHYpydpFU1bAg2g2WI-ptZURV_fQn8M&index=4

This is true. We can pick and choose what we want to watch. The issue beyond the "prostaff" [censored] is most of the people making vids show people the wrong way to do things. Last week I saw a post from a guy who went out knowing he was going to have a hard time,,,guess what he couldn't get back and had to be towed out. Thats just foolish. His vid showed a uscg helicopter,,,this goon just got towed out by another guy fishing from his motor boat. Im not dogging on everyone who does vids, im dogging on all who choose to put out total [censored] with a ton of bad info. As for those who make vids, save them for memories,,,thats great. I also agree this is 5 or more years late, I've made similar posts before too. I just dont understand the need for people nowadays to impress everyone else with fake junk or dinner pics. In my eyes, thats weak man stuff, follower stuff, not real man or leader stuff. Step up your game video guys, make some stuff you can be proud of not just waist of time vids.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13711198 09/25/20 05:08 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It is in fact the new trend. Have you seen how many tik tok videos are out there about kayak fishing? The new generation is all about the "like, follow, share, subscribe, etc" trend. All they are going for is the subscribers so they can get paid for showing [censored] fishing. If sponsors would stop handing out freebies, then the trend will stop. Until then, guys like us will just have to avoid clicking.

There is a guy that uploads his youtube videos almost every week. Stanley Orchard. Now I have subscribed to his channel and watch every video. Fishes for fun, with family, catch and cook, etc. He shows his sponsors at the beginning of the video and never mentions them again. Always fun to watch.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13711293 09/25/20 07:24 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I can see where you would want to try it, you've got to start somewhere, but the marketplace will be the final judge. roflmao My advice to anyone trying is to get the best camera and audio you can afford, keep learning, be critical of how your own chit smells, and keep it short... the shorter the better. roflmao

This might be the perfect thread to show your best work. bolt

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13711772 09/26/20 11:41 AM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Don't take this post as me saying dont make vids. All im saying is if you decide to put them out dont exaggerate what is. Frankly, if your in a pond why put that out like you have done some great thing? To me its just like the people who take pics of their dinner plate....i don't get the need to be noticed like that. I watched a "salt strong" video on youtube a few months ago, it was a deep water re-entry vid. This is something I have done thousands of times in my life but we all can always learn more, anyway this guy said he was using a difficult kayak to re-enter, this kayak was super low profile, had no pfd, no rod holders or gear to get through,,,,this was a vid for kayak fishing, he said having a pfd would only help you get back in(this is not true at all) left his paddle floating without any hand or leash etc in favor of grabbing his cooler to use as a foot stool to get back in. Hahahaha! Its stupidity like this that also irritates me. It gives people who don't know any better the wrong advice.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13712141 09/26/20 07:37 PM
O
Oldtrackster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
I would much rather see a few pics and read a write up. I never watch the videos, wish it wasn’t popular because it reduces posts to my preference. I know I’m old at 44, the kids love the vids and it will be their world soon.

To quality, that’s all videos and topics. You have to sort through an ocean of sub par content to find a handful of good ones.

Can someone explain how the Feds count recreational Red Snapper catch?

"Pretty sure it involves a witch doctor, an astrologist, and a tub of KY jelly." - jamisjockey
Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13733259 10/16/20 05:57 PM
H
hadite81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I did mine after turning 57... Wanted to try it out. VERY hard work, hours of editing. Not a career, but my kids get a kick out of seeing Dad on youtube.
As they mentioned above, you don't have to watch them all.. JUST MINE !!!!!!!! Kidding!!! LoneStar Renegade TV

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13744093 10/26/20 12:24 PM
B
Bucketlist Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
My interest is in the camera and sound equipment you use and the software used to edit your video. I shoot some video on the water and like to have a camera ready if a good bite comes along. Photography is a lifetime hobby and is more important than posting videos. At 72 I still like to drag around a camera bag and make a recording or shoot some stills whether it is fishing or driving a classic car. When everyone started carrying a camera phone in their pocket I gave it up for a while but have now returned trying to catch up with the newer technology. I hate videos where a guy is constantly dragging in fish after fish and would rather watch a guy trying to get a bite.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13744214 10/26/20 02:42 PM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Damn now I have to share a video lol. I never try to teach anyone anything, could care less about sponsors or prostaff that stuff is gay. Just my opinion. I share my tournaments or maybe a good day on the water. And I will never ask anyone to watch, like, subscribe or even give a damn about any video I make. If you want to watch go for it. If not that’s ok with me too. I’ve been making videos since 2015 or 2016 I can’t even remember... I’m not doing it to make any money or even make a name for myself at all. I have no name for the youtube channel, just my name. Never really started it to make anything out of it but for sure to capture memories was my most important reason. I completely understand what you are talking about though Christian.

Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13745622 10/27/20 05:40 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
There's a lot of bad info/advice from the YouTube fishing world. A lot of good though too. I'm getting tired of the click bait titles. A lot of the guys that are doing this for a living or just trying to grow their channel have gone this route. Driving me away from watching YT videos period.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Video trend????? [Re: christian myrick] #13745720 10/27/20 07:02 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Y'all check out my channel. I am straight forward fishing. I just got a kayak and do a lot of crappie fishing. www.youtube.com/KidKrappie

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide