Print Thread
My first attempt at bass frog popper #13705317 09/19/20 10:58 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Here is my first attempt at making a bass frog popper fly.

[Linked Image]

Think it might catch the interest of some hungry largemouth? I have been a bit limited by the nerve problems in my dominant hand lately so this was the best I could do. Please be kind. It's been a difficult process, I call it "tying through the pain". It sucks and frustrates me that this single fly has taken me over a week to tie. But on the other hand, it has given me something to occupy my mind with for a week or so while I wait for upcoming surgeries. It's kind of a take the good with the bad sorta thing.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes you are the vice and the rest of the time you are the fly.....

Be well all

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13705524 09/20/20 04:19 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nicely done! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13705544 09/20/20 05:04 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: banker-always fishing] #13705546 09/20/20 05:06 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Nicely done! thumb

Thank you

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13705628 09/20/20 12:28 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Looks like a leopard frog to me. Good job sir cheers

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13706138 09/20/20 10:55 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Before I took the portable swimming pool down for the season this morning, I tied the frog on one of my 8 ft fly rods and took a few casts at the pool. It appeared to be a frog swimming in the water. The rear legs kick with pulsing retrieves as the front legs act as stabilizers. A quick twitch of the rod tip and you get a big *POP*.
It landed right side up on about 17 of 20 casts. But the casts that landed upside down or sideways self righted after a couple of pulses on the leader. If I was a fish...… I'd eat it lol.

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13706472 09/21/20 10:57 AM
B
Bones72 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Give that thing a try some place. Sulphur Creek out in Lampasas has been fair on bass from what I hear. There are also some biggun bass in Brushy Creek.

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13707092 09/21/20 08:40 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Bones72,

Thanks for the ideas. Where is Brushy Creek? I'm waiting on the weather, It's looking pretty gloomy right now. That and with my medical issues I'd be lucky to have the strength to cast for more than 30 or so minutes. It sort of makes the idea of going fishing a more trouble than it's worth situation right now. I'm scheduled for 3 surgeries between now and Feb 2021 to deal with adhesions on nerves in both arms and hands. I have already had one of the four surgeries recommended. If the other three come out as well as the first one did, I should recover most of the dexterity, strength, and range of motion that I have lost in both arms and hands as well as getting rid of a lot of the pain I live with. I'm feeling confident that the surgeries will help me. That is why I have not given up on fishing quite yet.

If I am unlucky and the procedures do not work as well as the first one did, this spring I'll be forced to sell a new kayak, custom show motorcycle I spent 12 years building, a small tackle store worth of fishing gear, and 30+ guitars/stringed instruments with amps and other ancillary equipment. It's hard to think about spending a lifetime collecting stuff so you can kick back and enjoy retirement. Only to end up with medical issues that keep you from using any of the things you have collected.

I apologize, I guess I am feeling a lil sorry for myself and that combined with the overcast sky has got me down some. Time to listen to some B, B. King, Robert Johnson, & Blind Lemon Jefferson while sipping on a few ice cold Lone Star Longnecks to get my head back on right.

Till then.... Don't let the blues get you.... Let the blues make you right..... Be well.

SB

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13707434 09/22/20 02:23 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13707552 09/22/20 11:21 AM
B
Bones72 Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I hear you I live with a fair amount of pain myself and it does at times get in the way. My back got pretty messed up in Afghanistan. Have not had to have invasive surgeries but have had several trips under a fluoroscope to have the nerves burnt back. That's why my yak spends a good deal of time in the garage. I can use it if I can get help getting it on and off the car ( I really need a truck). Also why I had to have a peddle yak. They have so many things for lower back issues but not too many for the upper back. Also why I visit crappie houses more than I walk streams which I much prefer. I spend time at the tying bench when its just too much to get out. Not a Lone Star guy but PBR and Listening to Grateful Dead, Robert Earl Keen, and The Turn Pike Troubadours get my head back to normal sometimes.

Brushy Creek is in Round Rock. Also remember Nolan Creek up in Belton, there also good large mouth there as well as tons of spotted bass. May have to down size for the spots.

Last edited by Bones72; 09/22/20 11:23 AM.
Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13707660 09/22/20 01:06 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Good looking frog . Try not to let the pain ruin your enjoyment of getting outdoors . I also have chronic back pain . Upper back as well as lower back . The bad days are pretty bad but on the good days I get to fish and be outdoors . My kayaks see little use anymore . I bought a small aluminum boat with a little engine that sips fuel , I can't walk the banks anymore . I can fly fish or conventional fish from it . Don't give up , Chronic pain forces to us adapt to a life we didn't expect or want but the alternative sucks . Just try to enjoy the good days and tolerate/endure the bad .

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13708217 09/22/20 08:10 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Thanks guys. I have a lot to deal with as far as pain. I broke my lower back after falling down a ladder (Navy term for stairs on a ship). They never diagnosed the fracture until years later. At first all they told me was to walk it off and quit being a baby. Fast forward 40 years later and I'm having spinal alignment and arthritis issues that make it difficult to walk or even stand on level ground at times. For this reason alone I probably should have given up on fishing. My hand and arm situation showed 12% of normal nerve conduction in my left arm and less than 20% in my right due to adhesions of my nerves to surrounding tissue. They think it was partly caused by chemical burns to the arms. The first surgery was remarkable and made so much difference that the post op pain was much less than the average pre op pain even after the anesthetics wore off. But alas the darned COVID -19 stopped elective surgeries (yes the VA called what I needed elective). Now a year later and I am close to finally having the other 3 procedures done. I get depressed because the pain is so bad at times. I am a hobby wood carver, luthier, I tie flies, ride motorcycles, and am a so so stringed instrument musician. These issues have effectively ruined all of these things that I used to enjoy.

Never the less I spent a lot of time quarantined for COVID -19 and during that time even though It was painful I needed something to occupy my PTSD addled mind. With that said, I have tied over 300 flies since March. I have filled 4 tackle boxes with flies tied for specific species of fish. 1, Largemouth, smallmouth bass. 2. Bluegill/sunfish. 3. Crappie. 4. White, hybrid, stripped bass. I also outfitted a 14' 8" kayak with everything I wanted in a fishing kayak. I guess you can call it optimism, but I have always been a glass half full person. I have also always thought you can't appreciate good without experiencing bad. So the way I see it and what keeps me going, I'm well overdue for some really great times and am not ready to admit defeat...… YET!!!!

Last edited by SteveBob; 09/22/20 08:23 PM.
Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13708270 09/22/20 09:20 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Bones72,

Beirut 1983 on this end. Thanks for your service and sacrifices. I have a van and a trailer that can haul 2 kayaks if you would like to hit the water sometime. I considered a paddle/pedal (foot powered) kayak at one time but I also have leg issues that preclude that type of propulsion. I am however looking at an electric motor for the future. Crappie houses? What is a crappie house? Are there any around here? I fished Nolan creek as a kid. You would be surprised at the fish I used to catch in that creek even in Killeen. I never fished the Belton end. Are there any places in Belton that are easy access and are wide enough to setup a few rod holders for catfish and still fly fish while waiting on bites? I looked up brushy creek and that sounds good also.

Nothing wrong with PBR.... I was raised on Falstaff in the tin can but I lean towards ice cold Lone Star longnecks and Coors Light cans. But more often than not.... Diet Coke.....

I'm eclectic about my mood musical choices. As for blues I stick pretty much to deep south swamp & Texas style blues or old school bluegrass when I need some "Reach inside and get in touch music". But generally anything from Alabama to Pink Floyd and Rush to ZZ Top will float my boat. Being a child of the 60s & 70s I like just about any genre except rap.

Re: My first attempt at bass frog popper [Re: SteveBob] #13708284 09/22/20 09:35 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
DarrellSimpson,

I am considering going back to a jon boat with a small motor. But before I go that route I'm going to spend a lil more time in the kayak. I have been dealing with chronic pain for many years. So much so that I don't hardly notice unless I have a sudden loss of pain. I am crossing my fingers that the upcoming surgeries will make life more bearable, so maybe by spring I will be able to enjoy fishing like I used to. Good solid recommendations, thank you and yes I agree.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide