Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Jpurdue] #13701594 09/15/20 06:58 PM
Fishinfellow Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Article I wrote a few years back on Perry's fish. I do not believe the story.

https://www.lunkerlore.com/single-post/2017/03/31/George-Perry-and-the-Greatest-Whopper-Ever-Told

Good write-up. I also don't believe it. The supposed dimensions of the fish alone make me pretty cynical.

Thats my money fish
[Linked Image]
Kris Winhold
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Hair Jig] #13701927 09/16/20 01:33 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Article I wrote a few years back on Perry's fish. I do not believe the story.

https://www.lunkerlore.com/single-post/2017/03/31/George-Perry-and-the-Greatest-Whopper-Ever-Told

Agreed. Not likely that it ever happened.

Read your book BTW ....... Great read.

+1

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Hair Jig] #13701929 09/16/20 01:35 AM
S
SAdoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by SAdoc
I’ve always been a skeptic of the Perry story, but it is a weird coincidence the top few bass since then have all been within a few ounces of it’s weight ( with the exception of the time Dottie was snagged, but that’s not a certified weight). If he made up the story, how did he guess a weight that seems to almost exactly the upper limit that nature can produce?

Lucky. And btw ... those fish you referenced were Florida strain fish that were stocked into a very suitable environment. Northern strain in a Alabama pond is a whole different story.

Pretty sure the Perry bass was in Georgia. I’m sure there had to be some Florida strain bass in Georgia. I agree that it wouldn’t have the stocked trout of the California delta, but there have been a few monsters that came out of California that weren’t from trout stocked lakes. I’m not sure what the main forage is at the lake where the Japan fish was caught.

I think there are too many holes in the Perry story, but you never know.

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13701976 09/16/20 02:21 AM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
i am not sure the rainbow trout have much to do with the monster size tge California Dekta bass get to. That place is incredibly fertile from all the farmlands around it etc.

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13702057 09/16/20 05:30 AM
T
TxBassSniper Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
T
I'm leaning towards no as well. Could you imagine the gear it would take to fight a fish that big. Even now most guys that are just "fishing for dinner" would never be able to land a fish like that. I went to Falcon loaded for bear and still got abused by a bass so big I couldn't move it. I would believe he caught in on a trot line before I believed he got it on whatever version a 1932 rod/reel/line/lure combo could withstand.

As a side note, I may be mistaken but I think my grandpa or one of his brothers told me they fished with nylon line that had to be dried after each use, back in those days.

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: SAdoc] #13702189 09/16/20 01:02 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I’ve always been a skeptic of the Perry story, but it is a weird coincidence the top few bass since then have all been within a few ounces of it’s weight ( with the exception of the time Dottie was snagged, but that’s not a certified weight). If he made up the story, how did he guess a weight that seems to almost exactly the upper limit that nature can produce?

Lucky. And btw ... those fish you referenced were Florida strain fish that were stocked into a very suitable environment. Northern strain in a Alabama pond is a whole different story.

Pretty sure the Perry bass was in Georgia. I’m sure there had to be some Florida strain bass in Georgia. I agree that it wouldn’t have the stocked trout of the California delta, but there have been a few monsters that came out of California that weren’t from trout stocked lakes. I’m not sure what the main forage is at the lake where the Japan fish was caught.

I think there are too many holes in the Perry story, but you never know.

Believe it or not there is a world expert on the Perry fish. The guys name is Bill Baab. He wrote a book called Remembering George Perry when I was researching for my article/book, I spoke at length with Bill about the Perry fish. In regards to Florida strain fish in Georgia at the time, this is what I found out:

"Lake Montgomery is beyond the natural range of Florida-strain bass. Furthermore, there is no evidence to suggest Florida-strain bass were ever transplanted in the Ocmulgee River area prior to 1932. Baab admits as much in his book arguing the fish was a pure northern-strain bass. The largest northern-strain bass ever caught and recorded was less than 16lbs, making Perry’s fish nearly 40% bigger than any other northern-strain bass ever recorded. Many years after Perry’s catch, Florida-strain bass were introduced to Georgia, and subsequently bass as large as 18lbs have been documented. Even compared to the more recent Florida-strain giants out of Georgia, Perry’s fish exceeds the next biggest bass out of the state by more than 20%, making it a statistical anomaly, to say the least."

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Jpurdue] #13702225 09/16/20 01:31 PM
H
Hair Jig Offline
Angler
Angler
H

Believe it or not there is a world expert on the Perry fish. The guys name is Bill Baab. He wrote a book called Remembering George Perry when I was researching for my article/book, I spoke at length with Bill about the Perry fish. In regards to Florida strain fish in Georgia at the time, this is what I found out:

The interview in the posted video link was with Bill Babb ........

Healed by Grace and trying to stay that way
Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13702238 09/16/20 01:47 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Isn't the essence of a world record that it exceeds anything previously done? Babe Ruth broke the major league home run record with 29 in 1919, then the next year he almost doubled his own record with 54. No one else in history had ever hit more than 27. He was hitting more home runs by himself that most other teams.

If we didn't have all kinds of video and first hand written evidence how likely would that seem?

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Jpurdue] #13703202 09/17/20 02:21 PM
361V Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Even compared to the more recent Florida-strain giants out of Georgia, Perry’s fish exceeds the next biggest bass out of the state by more than 20%, making it a statistical anomaly to say the least."
I believe EVERY lake, state, world...record are a “statistical anomaly’! I believe it’s not arguable that there are very questionable “facts” surrounding Perry’s reported catch. Possibly because of the facts surrounding the time(era) and circumstances of the day OR because it simply did not actually happen. Regardless while intriguing it serves little purpose(to me) to waste time spent refuting the claim. He got his $75 bucks of gear and we have had a story to discuss for going on 90 years now. I completely understand questioning the validity I just can’t imagine waisting hours(years?) studying this catch to try to prove it false. Would be time I would never get back and in the end would still be conjecture from all sides. On another note: the “chances” of this anomaly happening at Lake Montgomery “again” would be even statistically rarer. Look at the little silted in(even when full) oxbow lake now: https://youtu.be/v0L-gQHgn6I

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13703351 09/17/20 04:57 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by 361V
Even compared to the more recent Florida-strain giants out of Georgia, Perry’s fish exceeds the next biggest bass out of the state by more than 20%, making it a statistical anomaly to say the least."
I believe EVERY lake, state, world...record are a “statistical anomaly’! I believe it’s not arguable that there are very questionable “facts” surrounding Perry’s reported catch. Possibly because of the facts surrounding the time(era) and circumstances of the day OR because it simply did not actually happen. Regardless while intriguing it serves little purpose(to me) to waste time spent refuting the claim. He got his $75 bucks of gear and we have had a story to discuss for going on 90 years now. I completely understand questioning the validity I just can’t imagine waisting hours(years?) studying this catch to try to prove it false. Would be time I would never get back and in the end would still be conjecture from all sides. On another note: the “chances” of this anomaly happening at Lake Montgomery “again” would be even statistically rarer. Look at the little silted in(even when full) oxbow lake now: https://youtu.be/v0L-gQHgn6I

I wrote the bulk of my second book, Lunker Lore, while living in Wisconsin. You underestimate how terrible the winters are up there with nothing to do. I thoroughly enjoyed researching the record and getting to talk to some of the worlds best big bass fisherman along the way. For me learning about the sport is just as much fun as actually fishing. cheers

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Jpurdue] #13703667 09/18/20 12:10 AM
361V Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity

I wrote the bulk of my second book, Lunker Lore, while living in Wisconsin. You underestimate how terrible the winters are up there with nothing to do. I thoroughly enjoyed researching the record and getting to talk to some of the worlds best big bass fisherman along the way. For me learning about the sport is just as much fun as actually fishing. cheers
Sorry, that was a broad statement. Wasnt for a second aimed at any individual. And yes if I didn’t live literally a couple minutes from Squaw Creek and winter meant cutting a hole in the ice and sitting over the hole with a pole ya, no telling how I would entertain myself! cheers cheers

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13703763 09/18/20 01:58 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
I see people sitting on the ice on Blue Mesa Reservoir outside Gunnison when it is 30 below zero. I love to fish, but not that much. We saw a young couple wade into the Taylor River on a day that was so cold and windy that I wouldn't stay outside for more than 30 seconds. They didn't stay long. I bet she let him know that wasn't a good idea.

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: Razorback] #13703786 09/18/20 02:13 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Razorback
Isn't the essence of a world record that it exceeds anything previously done? Babe Ruth broke the major league home run record with 29 in 1919, then the next year he almost doubled his own record with 54. No one else in history had ever hit more than 27. He was hitting more home runs by himself that most other teams.

If we didn't have all kinds of video and first hand written evidence how likely would that seem?

Because a home run is an easily identifiable thing, with hundreds, if not thousands, of people witnessing each one In real time. Did he hit it over the fence? Yes or no, and, for the most part, people can easily identify a home run. It’s easily quantifiable for multiple reasons.

Pictures, especially from the 1920s, of fish, are not easily identifiable. Society has improve, as have scales, transportation of fish, etc.

Comparing Babe Ruth’s HR records to a fish caught in rural Georgia, is ridiculous. Arguing baseball is better today than it was 100 years ago, when professional athletes didn’t train, stay healthy, know as much about the game as they do now, is one thing. Disagreeing with A fish caught under mysterious circumstances 100 years ago is much, much different, when cameras sucked, scales probably sucked, and fishing as a whole was much different.

To answer your question, no. One ounce is all that matters when weighing a fish. It’s the best we can do. 24.5 is more than 25.4. Just like 29 home runs is more than 28.

[Linked Image]
Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13703788 09/18/20 02:14 AM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

+1

Re: George Perry’s World Record Bass? [Re: 361V] #13705071 09/19/20 03:20 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Just because there is no "known evidence" of Florida strain in the Ocmulgee river system before 1932 doesn't mean they were not there. Fish can be transferred from birds and storms.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide