Page 1 of 2 1 2
Share your favorite catfish recipe #13692719 09/06/20 06:18 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I'll get the ball rolling with a BBQ catfish recipe that I learned in the little burg of Maysville N.C. I lived about 200 yards from the edge of the White Oak river so walking to the small fishing pier was close enough to go every evening after work but before supper to fish for an hour or two. The river had an abundance of fish of many types but I always seemed to gravitate to the 1 to 2 lb catfish and I sure caught a lot of em during the 4 years I lived there. But enough about that.... On to the recipe I learned there....

I start with four 1 1/2lb (give or take) Skinned and headed channel or what have you cats. (It works as well with same size fillets from larger cats if you have em) I would marinade them in sweet apple vinegar and lemon juice for about 30 minutes prior to cooking. After marinating them allow them to drain semi dry on paper towel so the marinade does not overpower the flavor. Make a bowl from heavy aluminum foil just large enough to accommodate the fish with maybe 1/4" of space all the way around the bottom of the bowl. Next place enough fresh cut white onion pieces (chopped not minced) to just cover the bottom of your bowl. Add 2 cloves of fresh garlic crushed or chopped over the onions. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the onions and garlic. Then pepper, paprika, and salt the fish to taste and place them in the aluminum bowls. Drizzle one more tablespoon of olive oil over the fish and seal the bowls at the top. Place in a 200 to 225 degree closed top BBQ for 10 minutes. Flip and cook for 10 more minutes. Flip one more time and open the aluminum bowls place thin sliced lemon slices over the top of the fish and cook for 5 more minutes with tops open (the fish not the grill). Remove fish from the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then serve next to rice pilaf (with the onions and juice over the rice) and sweet corn...… Guys.... This is a meal that will get a gal to love you and to you girls out there, feed a man like this and he will never roam except to bring home more catfish (wink wink).

This makes 2 to 4 servings depending on your ability to keep from pigging out on a meal like this LOL!!! In my case it's just 1 serving LOLOLOL!!!!

[Linked Image]

I'M STEVEBOB AND I APPROVED THIS MESSAGE

Ok..... Next?

Last edited by SteveBob; 09/08/20 05:58 PM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693149 09/07/20 03:17 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Ok here is a super simple catfish recipe that can be done in just a few minutes, creates a minimal mess, and tastes great. Start with 2lbs of whole skinned, nugget, or fileted catfish. 1/2 box of Chicken Shake and bake. Bag up one packet of shake and bake and add one teaspoon of onion powder (not onion salt), one teaspoon of garlic powder, one half teaspoon of ground red chilies, one tablespoon of lemon pepper. Dip each piece of fish in a bath of 1/4 cup whole milk and one egg blended together. then shake each piece in the shake mixture. Place each piece on an aluminum foil covered un greased cookie sheet keeping each piece no closer to the next than 1/2 inch. If you have any shake left in the bag, sprinkle it evenly over the fish in the pan. Follow cooking directions on box for boneless chicken breast. heat up a can of your favorite black beans.

Serve fish, rice, & beans on smooth top style paper plates next to a serving of UNCLE BEN’S® READY RICE® Butter & Garlic Flavored Rice and lemon wedges. Add a parsley and or cilantro garnish to the plate and In about 15 minutes you will have a comfort meal for the whole family that'll stick to your ribs and require only minimal clean up time/effort. That's a plus - plus in anyone's book.

Anyone else?

Last edited by SteveBob; 09/07/20 03:21 AM.
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693170 09/07/20 04:12 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
As you see, I'm bouncing around the standard corn meal deep fried catfish, with hushpuppies, and French fries type meal that you can get just about anywhere on a Friday night in Texas. Not that that's not a great way to serve catfish.... Which it is.... But I like trying new things also. The best thing is you can use these recipes with just about any kind of fish, seafood, chicken or pork also. But I am focusing on catfish recipes. Some of which may include bacon, shrimp, scallops, mudbugs or other meats. If nobody is interested in this thread I can stop, but I love trying new recipes and am interested in what others like or have tried as well. I'm also focusing on fast easy to make catfish meals that sometimes feature or include items like instant rice, stuffing mix, and or canned beans/corn and the like. I'm in no way connected to any product I name in a recipe. But rather I mention a type or brand name because it tastes best to me or is most commonly available in my area. (your mileage may vary).

S.B.

Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693258 09/07/20 12:18 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
SteveBob,
Thank you for sharing, and keep it going!
I have been playing with my air fryer some. Still working on something as good as peanut oil... but it's getting better.
I like to make fish tacos. As with your trend, pretty easy to make, and easy clean up. Air fry or pan fry some filets, and add toppings of choice to make a quick and easy meal.

Stay safe!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693260 09/07/20 12:22 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Sorry... double tapped

Stay safe!

Ken

Last edited by KEGracing; 09/07/20 12:23 PM.

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693346 09/07/20 01:41 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Used to soak them in buttermilk before battering. I switched to Frank's Hot Wing sauce. Amazing what the difference in taste is.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13693635 09/07/20 06:49 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We like to stir fry catfish nuggets with veggies. You can make up a small batch of cottage fries with onions, then once they’re almost done, throw in the seasoned fish with bell pepper, celery and asparagus. Teriyaki or soy will top it off nicely. That red rooster sauce would probably be great too.

For frying catfish, I keep it simple. Just the blue bag of Louisiana fish fry and hot lard in a cast iron skillet. Sometimes I’ll roll the fillet in mustard before breading them.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13694072 09/08/20 09:26 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
I tried something way outside my wheelhouse a while back and I look forward to having it again soon. Mustard seems to be a reoccurring theme with fish lately as does fish tacos. I had catfish nuggets poached in lemon and dill..... slathered with Frenches BBQ Mustard dipping sauce on a bed of coleslaw. I pulled out flour tortillas and made tacos with the above mixture then added a side of Frito Dips chips and a garlic dill pickle spear. It had a very light mild flavor with a slight hint of snap. The many textures added to the mixture of flavors in each bite is an oral experience I truly enjoyed. Now if you like things with just a little bit more..... Pull out your cheap sunglasses and add a splash or 2 of ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons new Hot Sauce called Beez & Teez Whisker Bomb hot sauce (available at HEB and the hot sauce website)…….. and you'll say "I can't stop rocking". LOL I had to go there. I have yet to try the "HOT" habanero (I'm a wimp when it comes to extremely spicy foods) sauce but the original has a unique flavor that lends itself to fish well but with that said, I think it would pair well with just about anything you would normally use a traditional Tabasco style sauce on.

I think this mixture would go extremely well with ling cod or red snapper also

Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is...…

For those who added recipes.... Thanks and keep em coming. Heck Maybe if we come up with enough good ideas I might just create a TFF cook book LOL!!!

Last edited by SteveBob; 09/08/20 10:04 AM.
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: KEGracing] #13694082 09/08/20 10:30 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted by KEGracing
SteveBob,
Thank you for sharing, and keep it going!
I have been playing with my air fryer some. Still working on something as good as peanut oil... but it's getting better.
I like to make fish tacos. As with your trend, pretty easy to make, and easy clean up. Air fry or pan fry some filets, and add toppings of choice to make a quick and easy meal.

Stay safe!

Ken

Try painting thin layer of peanut oil on your fish prior to placing in the air fryer. I bet you'll be surprised at the flavor and crispiness.

Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: Fishin' Nut] #13694085 09/08/20 10:34 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Used to soak them in buttermilk before battering. I switched to Frank's Hot Wing sauce. Amazing what the difference in taste is.

Hmmm Frank's eh? As in I put that..... Errr Ummm Stuff..... on everything? That's a great idea I never tried it but will now. Thank you.

Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: Cast] #13694100 09/08/20 10:51 AM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Originally Posted by Cast
We like to stir fry catfish nuggets with veggies. You can make up a small batch of cottage fries with onions, then once they’re almost done, throw in the seasoned fish with bell pepper, celery and asparagus. Teriyaki or soy will top it off nicely. That red rooster sauce would probably be great too.

For frying catfish, I keep it simple. Just the blue bag of Louisiana fish fry and hot lard in a cast iron skillet. Sometimes I’ll roll the fillet in mustard before breading them.

Hmmmmm Catfish stir fry..... I'm so glad I opened this thread. I have never stir fried any fish. But you can count on my doing so soon.

Let me think..... Catfish filet chunks, carrots, white onions, snow pea pods, ginger root, broccoli heads, fresh garlic, water chestnuts, baby corn cobs, and bamboo shoots stirred in a hot wok with peanut oil. served on a big dab of sticky rice with brown sauce..... YUM!!!!

Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13694448 09/08/20 05:02 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Being 1/2 German I was raised on 1/2 German 1/2 Texan soul/comfort food. One thing that was a real treat for us kids was a German treat called "Rollmop". Most people that eat rollmop think of it as pickled herring and all over Eurasia they would be correct. My father was raised in a place in Texas called Sulphur Springs during the great depression and he had no idea what a herring was much less where to find some. It was the late 1950s and my mother missed things from home. But it was also less than 20 years since WWII. So if she wanted anything German she had to make due with what my father could provide to her here. My father loved to fish but he hated cleaning fish so when he would return from one of his fishing trips he just dropped the stringer in the kitchen sink and went to visit the neighbors knowing mom would take care of the fish. One day she decided to make a treat for her and the kids with my dads catch (which just happened to be a stringer of small catfish that day). This is her recipe and it may seem strange to many of you out there. But the flavor is amazing and kids love em as a snack. Us oldies do too LOL.

Being frugal folks back then everyone saved resealable jars and or had canning jars stacked in a closet somewhere. You will need some of these. This recipe is for a 1 quart jar with 6 rollmops.

Items needed:
6 thin sliced boneless catfish filets, 1 tablespoon of sea salt, 1 teaspoon of freshly ground white, black, or mixed (my favorite) pepper corns, 1/8th teaspoon of allspice, 3 small onions finely chopped, 2 1/2 oz white sugar, 3 bay leaves, 1/2 pint of white wine vinegar, 12 large toothpicks, and 6 dill pickle spears.

Directions:
Sprinkle the filets with salt pepper, allspice, & chopped onions.
Roll up the filets around the pickle spears and fasten with 2 toothpicks.
Trim the pickle spears so they are flush with the rolled up filets.
Place the rolled fillets in a nonstick pot and add remaining ingredients & trimmed pieces of pickle into the pot and boil for 3 minutes.
Allow the filets to cool in the marinade.
Place the rollmops in the jar and pour the marinade in, high enough to completely cover the fish.
Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
Serve cold.

Just plop one on a paper plate and set it in front of a kid and watch the action....

This recipe works with any firm meat fish type but my favorite is catfish because of the memories eating this delicacy invokes. Another favorite fish for this recipe is Mahi Mahi. I love garlic so I also add garlic to taste.

Last edited by SteveBob; 09/08/20 05:56 PM.
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13694664 09/08/20 09:24 PM
J
Jugline Willy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Texas pecan crusted catfish with poblano cream sauce. Buzz a cup of pecans in the food processor until chopped fine but not pulverized. Add a cup of panko bread crumbs, 1/2 t garlic salt, and half cup of grated parmesan cheese and give it a few pulses to combine. Dump that on a plate. Put a cup of mayo on another plate and squeeze half a lemon to that and mix it up. Take a couple of decent sized catfish fillets and dredge through the mayo until evenly coated and then coat with the pecan/panko mixture. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and set the fillets on top of the pan. Drizzle melted butter over the fillets. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or so... it will depend on the size of your fillets. The panko should be nice and golden brown.

For the cream sauce... roast a couple of poblanos on the grill until charred. Let cool, peel, cut off the stem, and remove the seeds. Pour one 14 ounce can of chicken broth in the blender and add the peppers. Blend until smooth. Melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan on medium high heat and add a couple tablespoons of AP flour. Cook a couple minutes until it smells kind of nutty to make a blonde roux. Pour in the broth/pepper mixture and stir. When it comes to a boil it should be nicely thickened. Lower the heat and add a couple ounces of cream cheese and a cup of grated sharp cheddar (or whatever cheese you like). Add salt to taste.

Serve the fish with rice, grilled asparagus, and a ladle of the cream sauce. And if I feel like being a highfalutin redneck I'll pour a glass of wine to go with it. Otherwise... ice tea or a cold beer.

High Tech Redneck
Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: Jugline Willy] #13695384 09/09/20 03:40 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Once again a new recipe to me but it sounds as if it has the makings of a fine dinner. Doe's it go well with a chilled Lone Star Beer Longnecks? If so set me a place at the table... I'm ready to eat LOL!!! Thank you Willy for the interesting recipe. I look forward to trying it. Does it work with other fish or meats. It sounds as if it would.

SB

Re: Share your favorite catfish recipe [Re: SteveBob] #13695413 09/09/20 03:59 PM
S
SteveBob Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Another spin on the Rollmop theme. If pickled fish is just not your thing, you can also use the same recipe without the vinegar. Just season and wrap the filets the same way except for placing two whole button mushrooms (any variety) in the middle in place of the pickle spears in the previous rollmop recipe. Then before inserting the toothpicks wrap with your favorite thick cut bacon then stick em with the toothpicks. Now rather than boiling you can bbq, bake, broil, or even deep fry these thingamabobs. They go great with onion rings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide