Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hows Galveston Fishing #13685099 08/30/20 01:00 PM
D
Dunno Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Going for the labor day weekend. Staying in a house on the bay, not canal. Also cart to go to the beach. Got all the stuff. Green lights, cast net for live bait, and the crab taps. Just wondering if the storm messed them up.

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13685134 08/30/20 01:34 PM
J
JackMason Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
Online Happy
TFF Team Angler
J
Where you staying? You plan to fish the bay or surf?

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13685150 08/30/20 01:47 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
no storm here. a little high water. haven't fished since the storm so i don't know, but it was good fishing before.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13685391 08/30/20 05:49 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
What Bay? Actually there is not much going on now. The jetties are producing a lot of Reds but that doesn't do you any good. It's been very hot during the day and reports say some folks are fishing at night or VERY EARLY in the morning.

Last edited by V-Bottom; 08/31/20 01:04 AM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13685954 08/31/20 11:17 AM
D
Dunno Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
Staying at Pirates cove. Probably do a little of both bay and surf. But being so hot probably more at the bay. Can get to the AC faster. Will see what a couple of green lights will bring in at night.

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13689999 09/03/20 04:27 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Green lights are a good bet at night. If you want some fun, rent a kayak and go through the canals at night. Lots of time people leave their fish lights on, so you'll find a lot of places where no one is fishing, or no one is home. Sometimes people who are fishing get pissed when you kayak by and fish their lights, but they don't own the water, so that's their problem smile But this is a good tactic because once you catch a couple of fish at one light the bite dies. I generally start at the houses closer to the bay and work in on a falling tide, deeper into the canal complex and work towards the bay on a higher tide.

Labor day weekend at the beach might be crowded, I'd go early (be in the water when it's still dark) to miss the crowd. Top waters are my fave (bone colored are best I've found) if the water is reasonably calm, but it's hard to miss with a silver spoon. I also like to freeline live baits in the surf -- generally I'll catch a bunch of piggy perch (pinfish) at a cleaning table or boat ramp (I'll give you a list of spots if you want) the night before. Then you tie a khale or octopus hook directly to your line (I snell one to 30# flourocarbon leader, about 8 feet, tied directly to braid), and hook the bait right above the anal fin in the tail (causes it to swim up) or under the end of the dorsal fin (causes it to swim down). Then just cast out, hit freespool, and let the bait swim. You can also buy live croaker (Sea Isle marina is generally reliable, but you'll want to call to check on Labor day weekend -- you may need to be waiting there at 6 AM when they open), but they're expensive and not much better than live piggies/live mullet that you can catch for free. You can also get live shrimp, but I hate using them because they die easily and you catch a bunch of small fish -- you may catch more, but you'll end up throwing a bunch back, and catching a bunch of stuff you don't want to keep. BUT, shrimp will work when nothing else seems to.

Let me know if you need any other advice, I grew up fishing that part of West Bay.

Good luck, and post pics smile

Last edited by atx_ben; 09/03/20 04:28 PM.
Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: atx_ben] #13690087 09/03/20 05:37 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by atx_ben
Green lights are a good bet at night. If you want some fun, rent a kayak and go through the canals at night. Lots of time people leave their fish lights on, so you'll find a lot of places where no one is fishing, or no one is home. Sometimes people who are fishing get pissed when you kayak by and fish their lights, but they don't own the water, so that's their problem smile But this is a good tactic because once you catch a couple of fish at one light the bite dies. I generally start at the houses closer to the bay and work in on a falling tide, deeper into the canal complex and work towards the bay on a higher tide.

Labor day weekend at the beach might be crowded, I'd go early (be in the water when it's still dark) to miss the crowd. Top waters are my fave (bone colored are best I've found) if the water is reasonably calm, but it's hard to miss with a silver spoon. I also like to freeline live baits in the surf -- generally I'll catch a bunch of piggy perch (pinfish) at a cleaning table or boat ramp (I'll give you a list of spots if you want) the night before. Then you tie a khale or octopus hook directly to your line (I snell one to 30# flourocarbon leader, about 8 feet, tied directly to braid), and hook the bait right above the anal fin in the tail (causes it to swim up) or under the end of the dorsal fin (causes it to swim down). Then just cast out, hit freespool, and let the bait swim. You can also buy live croaker (Sea Isle marina is generally reliable, but you'll want to call to check on Labor day weekend -- you may need to be waiting there at 6 AM when they open), but they're expensive and not much better than live piggies/live mullet that you can catch for free. You can also get live shrimp, but I hate using them because they die easily and you catch a bunch of small fish -- you may catch more, but you'll end up throwing a bunch back, and catching a bunch of stuff you don't want to keep. BUT, shrimp will work when nothing else seems to.

Let me know if you need any other advice, I grew up fishing that part of West Bay.

Good luck, and post pics smile

I'd appreciate your list of cleaning tables and boat ramps. I'll likely be down there around October or early Nov.

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690144 09/03/20 06:25 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Be sure you don't have any cuts or open wounds on your bod before you wade, if you decide to. SW winds have been strong....beware of possible rip tides in the surf.Catching has still been slow.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690182 09/03/20 06:53 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Sure, here are a few. I generally only need to hit #1 and #2 to get a few dozen baits. If it takes any more work than that I usually just get up early and buy some croakers smile

All links below are google links. I hadn't been to Galveston in a year or so, so if any of this info is outdated let me know.

1.) Bay Harbor (https://bit.ly/2Z1EjVA). I grew up in this neighborhood. Technically private property, but no one should bother you. When you first pull up, turn on the water at the cleaning table and let it run for ~1-2 min. This is like a dinner bell for the piggies, cast right where the water runs into the bay next to the bulkhead. Cast in both sides of the boat ramp, too. You may get shrimp casting off the end of the pier in the middle of the boat ramp. You can also tie off your bait buckets here if you want, people will generally leave them alone overnight.
2.) Isla Del Sol (https://bit.ly/32ROpJO). You got about three throws with your cast net here before the bait leaves, there's a sign that says "no cast netting". I generally roll up at about 10 pm, you want to be sneaky because you'll spook the bait. If you can fill up your bait buckets with water before you get there it's best. You want to cast into the boat ramp, there's a dropoff at the end of the ramp bc morons power load their boats, so you'll snag your net. Cast quickly, you generally can get three throws in before you see lights coming on. There's a house right next to the boat ramp, someone may come out and say something. But they used to party pretty hard, showing up at 10 meant they were fairly drunk.
2b.) FWIW, this used to be one of my secret night time fishing spots. I've caught trout to 28", slot reds, and fatty flatties fairly regularly. I even caught a gar there last June after a big rain. Bring a rod with a glowing soft plastic (chartreuse or white), if you see action further out in the canal, forget the bait smile The cops _may_ show up and ask you to leave. But this is a great spot because its so close to the open bay.
3.) Jamaica Beach (https://bit.ly/3hXS5Qu). Hadn't been here in a long time, I can't remember much.
4.) Golf Course (close to Pirate's Cove, https://bit.ly/3lQ12O4). Great at a changing tide, also better when there's still some light. Watch your net, the bottom used to have some debris here. You can park in the townhomes that are on the south side. You can also walk the bulkhead around the bend towards Waterman's restaurant.
5.) Terramar Beach Point (https://rb.gy/rhv8iw). Great access to open bay, all the water from the canals in Terramar drains through this point. Great place for finger mullet, they should be moving through Sept and Oct. There may be a house here now.
6.) Terramar Super Secret Wade Fishing Spot (also good for bait, https://rb.gy/mkp2rf). Look at Google Maps...you can see deep water that has current (all canal system water drains through one channel), shallow flat, and sea grass. What else do you want? Getting there requires a bit of off-roading. To get there, come into the neighorbhood and turn left on Camino. Go down to the street, almost to the end, and you'll see a dirt road (use google street view: https://rb.gy/mr58lx). Then just drive down the dirt road. If it's rained recently, there will be mud. You may get your tires dirty, but if you can get all the way back there, the fishing is (or, has been in the past) prime.
7.) Indian Beach (https://rb.gy/9rwnnf). There are actually a few spots in this neighborhood. This isn't a goto spot for me, just because it's far away from where I normally catch bait. But I scouted this one last time and it looked great. There's also a pier (https://rb.gy/dfcweu) and a prime kayak launch point (https://rb.gy/d8vljd). This neighborhood is sparsely populated (great deals on lots tho), so no one will bother you.

Last edited by atx_ben; 09/03/20 08:14 PM.
Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: V-Bottom] #13690184 09/03/20 06:54 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted by V-Bottom
Be sure you don't have any cuts or open wounds on your bod before you wade, if you decide to. SW winds have been strong....beware of possible rip tides in the surf.Catching has still been slow.

It's worth noting, I currently live in Austin, and hadn't fished Galveston since last year. I DID grow up on the west end, but V-Bottom lives down there.

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690185 09/03/20 06:55 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Also if you're down in October, you should hit the Surfside jetty. Great bull red action smile

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690426 09/03/20 10:45 PM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I’ll be down this weekend my first time saltwater fishing so it’ll be an experience.... any advice for a first timer?

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690560 09/04/20 12:45 AM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
How are you fishing fonz? I'd suggest calling a guide, but they're likely all booked this weekend. Where are you staying, what kind of gear do you have,bet?

Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13690775 09/04/20 10:26 AM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I’ll be fishing from the bank, taking a few 7’ catfish rods and a 12’... I have a pier guide only thing I can find but that’s for Sunday morning. Plan is to try and catch some bait and see where that goes.

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Hows Galveston Fishing [Re: Dunno] #13691161 09/04/20 06:37 PM
A
atx_ben Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Check those spots above for bait, you can also fish some of them. You can fish any of the rock groins in town between 61st street and like 15th along the seawall, if you can find one where there's not a lot of swimmers. Lots of other spots to fish (check out seawolf park, they have stuff for the kids to do) too.

Last edited by atx_ben; 09/04/20 06:37 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide