Forums59
Topics1,038,811
Posts13,953,171
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13683442 08/28/20 02:46 PM
D
Dirt Daddy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Great read....Thank you just palced an order!

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: 1956Zebco] #13683681 08/28/20 06:57 PM
Holding The Line Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Dear 1956 Zebco, the primary intent for this MAL Lure is to attract white bass and hybrid stripers during the summer months. I guide primarily on Lake Belton and Stillhouse Hollow Reservoir. Our "summertime" fishing begins around the 1st week of June when the thermocline first forms,and extends until around the middle of October when the thermocline breaks down (turnover). During this warm-water time of year, the effective cool-water vertical tactics of using slabs, tailspinners, and bladebaits just do not seem to interest white bass and hybrids near as much as those lures do from October through May.

The one tactic that always produced for me in the summer (and still does) is downrigging. Many folks don't like downrigging, so, I've always wanted another option for those clients. So many times while downrigging, I come across bottom-hugging whites and hybrids which I know are aggressive and willing to feed because I see them come up off the bottom after my downrigger ball.

So, it was disappointing and frustrating to see these fish on sonar, Spot-Lock on top of them, and try slabbing, etc., only to catch a few, and then have the remainder of the school turn off.

This is where the MAL Lure has really shined. During this scenario I've just described, white bass and hybrid stripers simply stay aggressive and interested in the flash and vibration of the MAL Lure far longer than they do for anything else I have experimented with up to this point (over 30 years on Texas waters). The more fish I catch, the more I know I'm going to catch, because those hooked fish create flash and vibration in the water as they struggle during the fight. Also, they defecate and regurgitate shad as a stress response, which serves as a form of chum. Since my GPS trolling motor is keeping me on a precise location, all of this chum and commotion is happening right under the boat, thus drawing in other fish from nearby. Soon, you have a frenzy going on, which can be witnessed on well-tuned 2D sonar and/or LiveScope.

If you look up further in this "string" of threads, you'll see two of the tactics I mention, smoking and lift-dropping, described. When I find these bottom-hugging (or even suspended) whites and hybrids during the hot months, I will immediately go to the MAL Lure rigged up on a spinning rod, as I've described previously.

I hope this is helpful to you.

This does NOT mean the MAL Lure won't work in the cooler months. It does -- but I rarely have trouble using other tactics at those times of year, and, I feel other lures are better suited to attracting white bass and hybrid especially if/when our water temperatures drop into the 50's. I think it is hard to beat a properly worked slab with a stinger hook attached during such times.

Good luck, sir!

Check out the MAL Lure: MAL Lure

Here's a link to my slabs with stinger hooks: Hazy Eye Slabs w/ Stinger

Last edited by Holding The Line; 08/28/20 09:42 PM.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13683987 08/28/20 11:35 PM
1956Zebco Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Holding The Line

I hope this is helpful to you.

It was - and thank you for that, more than I expected. Trolled a lot in FL (was 100T). I'll have an excuse to break the Canon out now. Thanks again for your input and good luck with the charters.

Big Bass Deep Diving Spinner: https://youtu.be/nSH_KKAiuB4
Zebco 33 O-Ring Replacement (all years): https://youtu.be/NEU56UGzxXo
Big Bass Toothpick Trick: https://youtu.be/QC0emZqU36M
Crappie Tip: https://youtu.be/27AuG3CEpOs
Zebco 33 Restore & Lube: https://youtu.be/_4BTSEVcbQ4
More: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSsiJFU2JVh-dfIn1jfZDg/
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13685771 08/31/20 01:24 AM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Bob, I received your lures in the mail yesterday and tried them out today. I tried to compare your MAL lure to a regular Mepps #4 plain Aglia. I Located fish and tried each bait 5 times then tried each 5 times again. I'd catch 3 or 4 on each then the fish seemed to move before I could complete the comparison. Finally, I tossed a #2 rig and would catch a fish on most casts. I then realized I can't make a comparison while the fish are wanting #2. The MAL lure uses a #4 sized blade, has a larger body and is longer than a #4 Mepps regular Aglia. So, with fish favoring smaller baits, I can't fairly compare the MAL with regular Mepps #4. Also, I was unable to tell if the MAL hesitated on a slow start - too choppy with continuous boat traffic.

The fish I caught with it were with a jerk start and reeling fast. If/when I get into fish that will take a #4 almost every cast, I'll try to make the comparison again. I will test which bait catches the most out of 5 casts and time how long it took. Repeat this multiple times to see how it averages out. I also need to fish the MAL enough to get its feel and know best how to work it in order to be a fair test with the regular #4, which I have fished for years. It might be fun and fairer for you and me to fish together and have a contest. I've never been to Lake Belton.

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13685803 08/31/20 02:05 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Dennis, I very much like the fair and methodical approach you wish to take. Currently, I'm booked through 28 September. Do you fish during the cold months? I'd gladly host you here or join you at your home lake, as I suspect we could both glean a few things from one another. Please let me know. Thank you!

[Linked Image]
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13685843 08/31/20 02:44 AM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Yes, I fish year-round unless winter is severe - say in late January and February. Mild winters I fish then also. Oct thru Dec are good months and fish haven't slowed down, so I'd prefer then or next spring.

Last edited by Dennis Christian; 08/31/20 02:44 AM.
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13686064 08/31/20 12:57 PM
Tin Boat Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
/\/\/\/\/\ Dennis Christian & Holding the Line, if you two end up teaming up & do this please take video or at least plenty of pics; two of the best sandbass fishermen on this forum imo, this would be epic

Last edited by Tin Boat; 08/31/20 01:02 PM.
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13686709 08/31/20 08:40 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Working hard to improve lures and making the fishing community better is a win win to me. cheers partyon

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13686759 08/31/20 09:19 PM
R
RespectTheFish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Fish have been flying in my boat using the MAL! Totally loving it! Sometimes they want it casted out a little ways and reeling it a moderate speed 3-4 cranks of the handle. Other days they are wanting it reeled fast 3-4 cranks and let sink back to the bottom. Excellent lure. I think I would leave this one as is specifically for white bass and then make a slightly heavier duty, slightly heavier one for hybrids. My hybrids bend the metal wire fairly easily but I am not necessarily easy with the fish and lure if I intend to keep the fish for food so I may be just a little too rough on them...... Maybe original MAL and a BIG MAL hybrid version that weighs 1/2 ounce heavier, stiffer wire, slightly bigger hook. I have had a more hybrids get off the hook than I like losing too making me wonder if the smaller hook is a costing me the bigger hybrids. Not sure yet. Rarely miss white bass with it. I use a 7 foot GX2 ugly stick paired with a spincast Lews Mach 2 with 30 pound braid.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Clay
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13688323 09/02/20 12:37 AM
ACES82 Offline
Angler
Angler
Got these in Monday, canโ€™t wait to try them on Whitney for sandies and stripers!

Never Outsmart Common Sense.
Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13688325 09/02/20 12:39 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Clay, thank you for posting this. It is one thing when I (who stands to gain financially by selling the MAL Lure) write about the effectiveness of the MAL Lure in this scenario or that, but, it is a whole other ballgame when a fellow guide does so. It lends credibility which I know would increase my own confidence in making a purchase when I'm in the buyer's shoes.

I am working on an even heavier version of the MAL Lure. I suspect it will do well for hybrid, but, I'm afraid the additional weight will force an increase in the length, making this less attractive to white bass.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!

MAL Lure info: HERE

[Linked Image]
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13688447 09/02/20 02:21 AM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Bob, fyi, I also experienced the wire bending a lot and having to straighten it out. If you are continuing to experiment, you might try a thicker wire.

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13688728 09/02/20 01:33 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Dennis, are you referring to the MAL Lure, or to the various Mepps spinners you've used, in general?

Thanks!

--Bob

[Linked Image]
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: 3 Ways to Work America's Newest White Bass Lure [Re: Holding The Line] #13688789 09/02/20 02:36 PM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The MAL - it seems to bend more than regular Aglia. I've used a thicker wire on a rebuilt Aglia, and it did not affect the action.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide